Unlimited access >

The naive friend-buying-a-horse - update post 118

I’m in love with those ears :heart_eyes:

That’s a pretty young mare to have such an alleged safe-for-newb background.
Might be true, might be bool💩.

Amish are doing a lot of Friesian crosses in my area (Midwest). A lot with Hackney Horses or Ponies that could account for her head.
With that background she very well could have been broke (ish) to drive.
Riding I’d want someone else to get on before I did. Someone with paidup insurance.

5yo Friesian/Hackney mare just sold here - as a Driving horse - for $11K

7 Likes

She’s very pretty! And I do hope she works out for your friend, as I wouldn’t want to wish ill on anyone.

But as far as deciding to buy a horse and then to go about it as described… who does that?! I admire you for being this individual’s friend, because I would just have to disengage with someone that irrational. Unlike you, my sense of adventure is lacking, I guess :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I hope that picture is taken on a slant, otherwise I don’t want to fit a saddle to that sloping back. Cute horse, though. If it doesn’t work out she’ll be very decorative in a field somewhere. Hopefully she turns out to be as nicely-minded on longer acquaintance as she has been so far! On first blush it looks like your friend may have gotten incredibly lucky.

3 Likes

Pretty sure youre in my neck of the woods 2Dogs. :slight_smile: I’m also familiar with the Amish and it’s been interesting to watch their horses over the years. As good as the economy is here, not surprised a bit that young crosses are going for that much.

That was interesting to learn. Thank you for sharing.

Nope. You’re correct. She’s going to be a tricky fit. Fortunately DF is taking my advice on getting a saddle fitter out and that she may need something quite custom.
Strangely enough, after I saw the mare, I remembered I have an old hunt saddle that fits no one at the barn that might work for her temporarily. Going to run it up and see. Might be the reason I’ve hung onto it for 20 years.

12 Likes

She’s pretty! I can see Morgan x Fresian. Hope she’s as good as she looks! And, seems like your friend did good!!! yay

2 Likes

She’s a cutie. I think Saddlebred/Friesian. She’s got a distinctly saddlebreddy head.

Nice mare! Glad it’s working out.

9 Likes

That is a looong mare. Pretty face. She also looks like she could be Friesian/Saddlebred. Very Saddlebred topline. Best of luck to your ftiend.

8 Likes

She’s cute. Hope she is also kind and calm.

I could see Saddlebred X Freisian. Don’t see much that looks Morgan, but stranger things have happened. Those are some ears!

5 Likes

She’s a slinky!

She looks more like she’s built like a driving horse than a saddle horse (and yes, she definitely looks, like 75% Saddlebred in that photo).

But it doesn’t sound like your friend wants more than a horse to bop around on and to look pretty, and she’s in a decent barn with a trainer. So it might be a very happy ending. She didn’t even pay an outrageous purchase price, though of course boarding and training will be the real cost.

I have a feeling that knowledgeable people who endlessly researched pedigrees, show records, tried out different horses, and consulted multiple other knowledgeable people (and got a PPE) before buying a horse are crying in vet bills.

7 Likes

Well, I hope that she turns out to b e everything as advertised. She’s a pretty girl.

She could well be SaddlebredxDraft and they called her Friesian because she’s black. Who knows? Without DNA results she could be anything. But who cares so long as she is nice and does what you want.

2 Likes

She’s pretty, despite her faults. I agree with folks guessing saddlebred/Fresian, I don’t see Morgan in her. That sounds like a remarkably uneventful day going to get the mare- incredible. Good luck, keep us posted ok how she settles in and how your friend does learning with her! Your friend is quite lucky to have you guiding her, even if she isn’t taking all of your advice :wink:

3 Likes

Have you mentioned how tall she is? I looked back through the thread and didn’t find anything. Just curious!

I’m assuming this horse is from an online auction site. I went with a friend to the same farm you did to pick up the horse that she “won”. The video was great, the vet “report” was a joke - the local vet scribbles on a note pad that the horse appears sound. The sweet mare loaded right up for the 9 hour drive home. All seemed fine until she was ridden. She was not even rideable. Bad issues with her back that make her just a pasture pet. I have always thought that these online horse auctions are a scam because there is no way that some of these horses sell sight unseen for $30-40K as advertised. Good luck. They are shyster horse traders.

1 Like

I don’t think I did.
15.1hh

Sending you a PM to confirm the farm.

OH BELIEVE ME. I warned her that was possible. I hate to admit I was negative Nancy running thru all the possible catastrophic outcomes.

There’s a reason “horse trader” is a derogatory term. These guys embraced it.

While I’m cautiously optimistic, I’m still skeptical.

8 Likes

NW IN?
Thought of another likely Amish X: DHH
They were a huge Thing with the Amish, now you see a lot that did not make the cut pulling buggies in town.
Another pony cross that’s selling for decent $$.
:crossed_fingers:Your friend’s mare was truly broke to ride.
Any chance she might want to drive her?
But then you have to wonder why the Amish sent her down the road… :thinking:

Driving friend of mine has a FriesianX(Appaloosa - but you’d never guess it) & a full Friesian she drives. Both geldings & the X is also ridden by her granddaughter. Grand is now 16, but has ridden & driven him since she was 9.
This is us with the X at the Ntl Drive (2018) ponying my mini:
FB_IMG_1558563792116

4 Likes