Unlimited access >

The slog that is winter

I highly recommend signing-up for H&C TV or even wehorse.com for some virtual lessons on long-lining and double-lungeing. A lot of the ridden dressage content is surprisingly applicable too, actually (although of course you have no seat or legs to work with).

I think the winter can be a great opportunity to go back to basics and work on those formative building blocks of rhythm, suppleness, and contact… without anyone needing to risk their neck being in the saddle on a fresh horse!

1 Like

Auto feeder for kitty.
Kettle to make food for horse when you get to the barn
Possible to get fleece lined breeches? Or put breeches on over work leggings? (fleece lined won’t feel so cold when you put them on).

I think you will be more motivated to ride if you go right from work, even if only two days a week.

Or take the darkest days of winter off. it is only 4 weeks until days started getting longer.

5 Likes

I deployed this strategy when I lived in the upper midwest and 99% of the time, worked out great! Got to keep the post-work you’re-already-moving-around-anyway momentum, kept the horse in work. All good.

Except for the day when I forgot barn shoes and had to leave the office in breeches + high heels. And, naturally, ran into all of the coworkers in the world on my way to the car.

8 Likes

I’ve had the same experience, coupled with running into every possible boarder on the walk to the tackroom for boots, each of whom must comment on the combination.

Still worth it to not have to stop home and risk getting stuck in the couch.

5 Likes

Which one do you recommend? Been looking at a vest for a Christmas present for someone always cold, but reviews seem iffy.

I have the Ororo, both the down and the fleece version. I like them both, but I wear the fleece version more as I got the down first and ended up with a size too big – ordered the right size the second time around. Only cons to it are the battery is kinda big and charges really slowly, plus it sits on my hip in a weird way. But they now offer a smaller battery which might fix the problem. Otherwise LOVE it.

2 Likes

I love my Akaso, I’ve had it for a year now…