Unlimited access >

Those of you that braid with thread - how thick is the string?

Those are some gorgeous braids. Your horse? What do you do to prep your mane for that kind of even perfection? Pulling? Scissors? Super impressed.

1 Like

Thanks! Thicker mane is actually better for this type of braid. I use this comb to section braids…and a lot of practice :wink:

2 Likes

Tried it with the hair pins tonight. Not bad, but I think I’m going to prefer thread.

2 Likes

I think her hair might be too thin for the pins. There were 3 or 4 braids in the middle that were super nice but the rest it was hard due to “not enough hair”.

1 Like

Thicker thread worked pretty well. I was anticipating being able to “tug” against the knot, but it would always pull through so I just went back and forth a few times before I gave it the snug-tug. Is that normal?

In other news, the young mare KILLED it for her first dressage show - and seeing as how I haven’t ever shown in a large arena, I am proud of myself, too… I flat out guessed where the 20m marks were, as I was too frazzled to remember or math large arena dimensions. She got high point of the day in Intro B, and won all of her classes with (too) generous scoring. Go Shayney!

6 Likes

Congratulations! Y’all look super

1 Like

Yes, you need some moderate thickness to the mane for the hair pin method to work. Otherwise I’d think cotton yarn (more robust than acrylic yarn) would be a good way to add bulk to thinner braids - especially if you double the yarn, braid it in the entire length of the braid, and tie off the end and roll up to create your rosette or cobra. Or…if you really want to go pro, get these:

1 Like