Unlimited access >

Thoughts on blanketing older horses?

Old time canvas blankets got Thompson Water Seal applied when they quit being waterproof. Painted on and let hang to dry, before putting on the horses. So that is an idea, if you should find or buy some canvas blankets that are not waterproofed.

Another vote for blanketing. The two oldsters I care for (30 and early 20s) on the ranch have never worn blankets until this year. Both came out of last winter looking a bit skinny, and I’m protective of the chub they put on over the summer. The 30 y.o. has a massive fluffy coat even having been blanketed regularly since late September, and the 20ish one isn’t far behind. I have noticed a big improvement in the 30 y.o.'s morning stiffness with blanketing vs. without.

I’m in SD, where a couple of days ago it was 7 when I went out to feed (actual temperature before windchill…brrrrr!). I’ve gotten more use out of my mediums than rainsheets this year, if that helps. Horses live out 24/7 on either pasture or roundbales.

[QUOTE=Flying Hill;7261288]
Given that she can probably only afford one blanket per horse, would a medium weight make the most sense? [/QUOTE]

Everybody is probably going to have different opinions on this :slight_smile:

My own is that a sheet with no fill plus a heavyweight with hood is the best wardrobe. Perhaps she can get rain sheets on sale at this time of year. Adams Horse Supply has had the best prices in my experience. I’ve gotten Amigo sheets for as low as $30.

I use the sheet until it is 30* or so (but of course it depends if it is really windy, or bright sunshine etc) and then I go for the heavy. At 20* or so I add the hood.

I know you asked for one blanket, but I like this combination best.

I also board retired horses and I blanket all of them. I even supply the blankets because I’ve kept them from when I had a barn full of my own horses. You always need to have blankets on hand because even horses with heavy winter coats can get chilled if the conditions are right.

I live in South Jersey, so my conditions may be warmer but I have a lightweight rain sheet and a medium weight blanket for each senior. The rainsheets have attached hoods (no fill) so the horses are protected in rains and heavy winds. When the weather is in the 20s or below or if heavy snow is expected, I put the rainsheets over the medium weights.

I automatically blanket when it hits 45 degrees or below. If it’s windy or nasty, I will blanket or sheet if the temps are higher. I have all TBs here now, and they do seem to really get cold easier than some of the other breeds I’ve had.

Check out Craigslist for blankets too.

My old TB holds weight better and moves around better when she is blanketed. Her’s will go on soon and stay on pretty much 24/7 until spring.

Another vote for blanketing, but I also used to hold off blanketing until usually late December (with my climate). I preferred them to grow a winter coat before the real cold weather hit. Then, I would blanket, knowing they had a protective layer underneath. Now I know blankets flatten their coat and lessen the thermal protection, but I also loved to take their blankets off on sunny days - their hair would fluff up when needed, but they did love to frolick blanket-less on those sunny cold days…

Another vote for blanketing. It’s the damp, wet cold that is the deal breaker for me, especially with critters that are compromised somewhat. Even if they have a winter coat, once they’re wet, there’s very little insulation. If only one blanket each can be afforded, I personally would get a heavier blanket. I have never bought a brand new blanket FWIW. I always buy second hand. I’m not a fan of blankets either…it’s a PITA and fall/spring can make you crazy. But my mare (now 23) stopped growing a good winter coat after a bout with PHF a few years ago so blankets it is.

Also, you mentioned the one horse can’t really eat hay…is she putting that one on a complete feed, soaking alfalfa cubes and/or giving beet pulp? I had a toothless wonder who did great, maintained weight, etc…but he did not have regular hay for the last 5+ years of his life (would choke and really couldn’t get much nutrition out of it if he did gum it.)

If you need more “proof” for your friend, you might check out your local ag extension’s info. Sometimes they’ll have guidelines.

I’m with everyone else who says to blanket these oldies. Also have a suggestion for “blanketing on the cheap”. Get a really good waterproof turnout sheet for wet days (spring and fall), then buy a blanket liner to add underneath for cold weather (winter). That way–she has 2 “oufit” options for them. I am a big fan of Schneiders for reasonably priced, good-fitting blankets: sstack.com. I am at a boarding stable where everyone used to buy Rambo’s and almost everyone has now converted to Schneider’s (and saved $$$'s). Schneider’s has a great blanket liner that can be washed in any regular washing machine. I have had one of these for years and it is still looking great. It has inserts in the back for you blanket straps which attaches it to your turnout sheet and keeps it from slipping. These are very inexpensive.
http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_blanket-liners/

Schneiders also has some very reasonably priced turnout sheets. I have these and they have also lasted for years and I the waterproofing has held up too:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_turnout-sheets/stormshield-1200d-turnout-sheet/

Oldies are generally not to hard on their clothing, so she may be able to get away with a 600 denier sheet instead of 1200.

[QUOTE=Flying Hill;7260641]
I have been blanketing them when it has been wet and windy, but she doesn’t want them blanketed otherwise so they will grow thick coats. They will be moving to her place as soon as she can get shelter in place, supposedly this month. She doesn’t own any blankets, and money is an issue right now, but if I can give her some compelling arguments to blanket, I think she will.[/QUOTE]

This kind of thing sort of frosts me. My impression is your friend isn’t very bright. Sorry, but she isnt.

first, older horses need MUCH more care in their dotage than they did earlier in life.

Second, they will grow thick coats in New England, even with blanketing. If for some odd, intangable reson they didn’t, then just throw a fleece under the blanket. Problem solved. They are cheap. I mean really, what could her concern possibly be? Its only a medium thick coat grown this year, not a thick thick coat? Just add a sheet underneath.

Third, they not only need blankets, but something waterproof to protect from cold rain and melting snow. ESPECIALLY if they have a thick coat; you don’t want them to get wet where its hard to dry them out because they have such a thick coat.

Horses use their feed to burn to keep warm, and older horses have a hard time doing this. I agree with the poster who postulated that her horses won’t come out on the other side of winter very well this year. Hope she feels good about herself.

Sorry, just really makes me angry how some people don’t take proper care of older horses. I mean, honestly. Ask her why she wouldn’t blanket them? Because nature naturally grows a thick coat? Remind her that horses in the natural wild usually die by age 15. If we keep them alive in to such old age for our pleasure, we owe it to them to feed them, shoe them and keep them warm, for Christ’s sake.

Our oldster gets blanketed, usually with a medium weight and hood. His coat stays pretty fluffed up under it, and he is very seldom hot under it, even if it gets up into the 40s. We figure if he is a little warmer than a little colder, he’s not burning as many calories.

He has trouble with hay, too; most of his forage comes from soaked beet pulp and alfalfa cubes, as well as soaked senior feed. I hope she is prepared for that when she moves hers home: old guys who can’t eat hay take a lot more effort to keep them fed!

Thanks again for all replies. I talked to her today and she will be blanketing them. She is also going to keep feeding them the soaked alfalfa cubes 4 times a day, as I have, along with their senior food and oil. I assure you that she truly cares about these horses - she is just coming from an environment where she was surrounded by old cowboys who had, perhaps, a more laissez-faire approach to horse-keeping.

A friend recently took on a 24 yr old mare who is still sound and happy to be ridden again. She has foundered in the past, and can be a little bit of a hard keeper. Blanketing her helped immediately with her weight, and now putting her on a sugar free pellet she’s gleaming and getting compliments that she looks better than she ever has.