Thoughts on 'Dressage Today'?

I dropped Practical Horseman for many of the reasons listed above…besides, how many articles on “how to count the strides to a jump” can we read? It no longer had much new thinking…

1 Like

I’d also put in a good word for Equus. It’s still one of my favorite magazines as I eat up the research news and enjoy the case reports and general horsemanship focus.

I would also note Eclectic Horseman as another decent publication. Deb Bennett also contributes (the other day I was reading her Equus article and realized I had read one by her already on nearly the identical subject in EH) and also articles, clinic reports, and instruction from a variety of horsemen from Buck Brannaman and Martin Black to Harry Whitney, Wendy Murdoch, and Melanie Smith Taylor. It isn’ glossy and doesn’t carry a lot of advertisements so you won’t get a $1 per issue deal, but it’s pretty decent. They also have a quarterly video subscription.

I quit reading it a few years ago and don’t miss it much. Wish there was an alternative e

I subscribe and I enjoy it. I used an article from DT to begin the flying changes, and it worked beautifully. Same with the rein back, I read a nice article and used that method to methodically teach the rein back. Not every issue has super applicable articles, but I get a few articles a year that are really helpful. I usually subscribe on one of the deals, so I figure if I get one or two exercises for my $15 per year, I think that’s a pretty good deal!