Unlimited access >

Tips for getting through chemo

also strongly recommend Breast Cancer Treatment Handbook Edition 10 (2022) by Judy Kneece. Clear precise well organized. I got this book and a second book written by my RadioOnc ( which was a huge doorstop it was so comprehensive)

if you get either book make sure it is the most current edition

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this……it’s my biggest fear, I have a CT brain scan scheduled Dec 7 (I wanted to wait until after my vacation) because my migraines have got worse and sigh, we need to rule out metastasis, im coming up on just 5 years and that fear is always there….im thinking of you! :heart:
———-
“I will report back after my appointment on Thursday”

And yes @propspony please report back, im thinking of you too! :heart::heart: (I’m not sure how to quote different people!)

3 Likes

Jingling madly for you, and for everyone going through chemo.

Rebecca

3 Likes

More jingles for all of you. I hope you’re all cancer free and feeling well soon. :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry and you sound strong which is HUGE. My Mom had chemo and radiation after a mastectomy and got acupuncture. She said she’d walk in to the appointment feeling like shit and come out nearly 100% herself again. I had an amazing response to a trigger thumb with acupuncture - gone. And saw it in my horses too. Maybe give that a try.

Jingling for you,

1 Like

Jingling for you, @propspony and everyone else going through radiation, chemo and cancer!

Please let us know how you’re doing and the results of the scan.

1 Like

FWIW this just popped up while I was researching herbal teas and I thought of everyone on this thread. Hopefully your doctor would know.

Furthermore, another study showed that the scent of peppermint oil drops reduced the incidence of nausea and vomiting and decreased the severity of nausea in people undergoing chemotherapy (7Trusted Source).

there was a study published several years back looking at the added benefit of ginger with nausea control as well. people do swear by it for seasickness.

If on chemo drugs always check with pharmacy or oncology office if on chemical chemo protocol. some herbals are contraindicated with chemo as they can block the activity

People on dialysis swear by sniffing an alcohol soaked pad for the nausea that a lot of people get. I don’t get dialysis nausea frequently, but when I do, I tried alcohol. Either it works, or it had a strong placebo effect. I don’t know which, and it doesn’t matter.

Rebecca

2 Likes

Had the CT scan last night now waiting anxiously on the results……I’m almost 5 years from the date of my mastectomy……so fingers crossed! I’m sure glad I waited until after my vacation though!

9 Likes

My 5 years clear is now a 5 year celebration……CT results are in! So back on Tamoxifen I go as my BP cannot tolerate Aromatase Inhibitors but now I can relax knowing the migraines are still normal!

Ct results! Happy dance

Clinic history is headache and breast cancer

FINDINGS:
No acute intracranial abnormality identified. There is no mass or abnormal enhancement. No vasogenic edema.

No cortical infarct or hydrocephalus.

No aggressive osseous lesion. Paranasal sinuses mastoid air cells and middle ears well aerated

IMPRESSION:
No acute intracranial abnormality identified. No evidence of brain metastases

19 Likes

OMG that is WONDERFUL to hear!!

I just had my post-chemo CT scan on Friday. Crossing my fingers that nothing exciting is found. 3 more radiation to go out of 31.

Radiation has been horrible. I’m not sure what they burned inside, but the pain has caused me to have to call off work 7/9 times…

sigh. But putting one foot in front of the other and getting through it.

7 Likes

I have absolutely everything crossed for you! I know when my sister had Hodgkins and my mom had breast cancer they both found radiation to be harder than the chemo! People always think chemo is the hardest and totally write off radiation!

2 Likes

I had Hodgkin’s twice. The first time I was treated w radiation. The second time was chemo. My radiation was from a line from hip bone to hip bone up to a line ear to ear. It was definitely worse than chemo. My heart aches for anyone who has to have these treatments.

2 Likes

@propspony, I’m sure you’ve done this but make sure you tell your medical team. Radiation burns are miserable.

1 Like

I’m so sorry about what you and others are going through. My DH is on round 3 of colorectal cancer since this started in 2020, and we’ve learned a lot. Sorry for any repeat advice and this is a little late to help OP, but I wanted to post for posterity.

Enterade (https://enterade.com/)- supports the body through chemo. This is a super mega game changer. It’s expensive as you’re supposed to drink 2 per day, but it gave my DH his life back. First round of infusion this time was without, then I discovered Enterade and he’s had 4 more infusions since. None have been as bad as the first and usually the negative effects of chemo are cumulative. DH has been able to keep working full time, helping around the house, and working on his own hobby projects instead of mostly napping and feeling crummy.

THC- Again, super mega game changer. He doesn’t have to take the anti-nausea meds that cause constipation and still has an appetite for more than just chicken tenders (randomly his chemo-comfort food).

Eat something before infusions/radiation- The only times DH has gotten massively pukey have been whenhe didn’t eat before chemo or radiation. After learning this lesson 3 times, he is much better about forcing some oatmeal or crackers into his body even if he’s not hungry. Better than the migraines and puking.

So sorry for everyone who is going through a cancer journey. It’s not a good time, but similar to others, I expected the chemo portion to be dramatically worse than it ended up being. Still not a good time, but with the supports listed above, our household is able to function almost normally during his treatments.

3 Likes

Oh I have, and my radiation burns are inside of the top of my stomach, so even MORE miserable!

Luckily yesterday was my last radiation treatment so hopefully I can start feeling better now!!!

4 Likes

I developed a taste for tequila and very well done bacon through radiation. I loved BLTs even though I could barely swallow the toast. I’m sure you will feel better soon!

1 Like