Unlimited access >

Tips for Purchasing a Horse out of State and Shipping

Educate the remote veterinarian about how you intend to use the horse. Here is a personal story. I found a potential fox hunter. I asked my local vet for referral to one in Atlanta. I talked to the Atlanta PPE vet about my hunt, territory, terrain and footing, and lengths of our coyote runs. He went to do the PPE, watched the horse jog, did flexion tests, and called to say that he did not think the horse would hold up as a field hunter, and he saw no sense in proceeding any further with x-rays. Billed me for a farm call and brief exam only, which I appreciated.

The horse was eventually donated to a college with a riding program where he served quite well as an 8 jumps and done hunter ring horse. I actually learned of this part of his life later in a COTH article about the college. I hope you locate a vet as forthright and honest as this one. The Atlanta horse found a good place to be, and I later found a wonderful hunt horse who was with me for 22 years.

2 Likes

Regarding the PPE,

1. check with your vet what should be included.
  2. when you go to look at the horse be prepared to stay a few days (if you like him).
  3. Before you go, see if the seller is amenable to taking the horse to CSU or some other large vet practice for the PPE. There are several of them in Colorado. That way you can be there for the PPE.
  4. If you can’t be there, face time it.

Regarding shipping, use a well-known, national shipper. There are a number of them in your area. Make a few calls, get some prices. I have used Equine Express a couple of times and found them to be more than adequate. Their home base is Pilot Point, TX.

Thanks for the advice for for sharing your story. I am coming out of a sad situation with my first horse and really trying to do all I can to ensure I find the best partner for me with the next one. :blush::heart:

3 Likes

Definitely get a health certificate. Even if TX does not require one, going across state lines, any state that requires one could stop the hauler to ask for one.

Usually they are good for 30 days. I would ask the PPE vet to write one for you if there are no major findings. The certificate itself is usually inexpensive, the bigger cost is getting the vet out.

1 Like

Go there and try the horse. Video your ride. Send the video to your vet and home and ask if they see any red flags. If so, walk away. If not, ask the seller for the name of their vet, and any other vets they know of that travel to the area. Give those names to your vet and ask if they know of/would recommend any of them. Talk with your own vet about what the PPE should entail, and then talk with the vet you are hiring about what you’d like. If your vet is open to it, then should be on this call as well. I’m on the East Coast, so no help in recommending shippers.

3 Likes

Interesting re the 30 day validity for health certs. WEC Ocala is requiring health certs when horses come in to show; it has to be no more than 14 days old.

1 Like

That is the norm when traveling from state to state ( at least it has been as long as I can remember) . I guess if they require them at shows they want it more current. When my kids did 4-H they wanted them as current as possible.

1 Like

Thank you!

How far is it from the little town to CSU (Fort Collins)?

I have joined the Horse Transport Connect page and checked with the 2 haulers you recommended. Neither travels the route I need, but their FB pages have helpful info.
Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, the horse will need a health certificate issued within a certain number of days to cross state lines, as well as a negative Coggins test. Your vet can probably advise on the timing and anything else that may be required. For example if there is an outbreak of some disease, the other states sometimes require an extra statement that the horse is not showing signs / hasn’t been exposed.

Use a reputable transporter, who has a DOT number and is licensed and insured for interstate commerce.

If the shipping contract is a single page and says things like “horse owner accepts all liability for anything that happens during the trip” and “horse owner will pay for any damage to equipment before horse is unloaded” then run in the other direction.

2 Likes

210 miles.

Small town (Westcliffe) is about 1.5 hours southwest of Colorado Springs.

Thank you - great information.

1 Like

I took a crazy risk buying sight unseen from a breeder and having the horse shipped to me. I bought based on videos, and the owner seemed genuine/truthful when we discussed the horse. The seller paid for coggins and the health certificate. I didn’t even do a prepurchase exam, but for a young unstarted horse, I was willing to take that risk.

So far I’ve been very pleased. She is your typical young horse, and the big investment will be training and my time working with her.

3 Likes

Oh well, that’s a long haul.

I am wishing you the best of luck. You deserve good things to come your way after all you’ve been through, and the responsible manner in which you handled a terrible situation.

2 Likes

Glad it worked out for you and I am encouraged by your story. Thank you for sharing.

I am coming out a sad situation. Lost my first horse after owning him for only 17 months. Our story is on this forum. I am trying to do all I can to ensure my next horse is healthy and has a good mind. I know there are no guarantees.

I will need to go and check this one out to make sure he is right for me. He is young and I know his whole history I think those are positives. He is not inexpensive (to me) and I am really trying to make a wise purchase.

2 Likes

You are so kind. Thank you. I am trying hard to find a perfect for me horse that is healthy, sane and sound :blush:.
You don’t know any horse people in southern Colorado do you? Sure would be nice to have someone to look at him with me.

1 Like

Here is what the OP has been through;Neurological Issue? Need Help. Gelding with strange behavior that no one has seen

@TXKing99 I don’t personally know anyone horsey in that area, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any there. We do have some well connected COTH people though.

2 Likes

I may post the question on the Jasper thread. Maybe someone who followed our story knows someone there.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I was trying to figure out how to send out word to some of our well connected members and that is a better idea than I have been able to come up with. :+1:

1 Like