Unlimited access >

To buy a horse....? or a house?

What about buy the house and ride this prospect horse for your trainer? You can school him and show him and bring him on for a possible potential buyer and you won’t have invested any of your own money in him? It sounds like you are interested in this sort of investment of time and skill in a young prospect, and who knows? it might open doors to future riding prospects for you, while meanwhile you own your own home?

Or consider this prospect: you buy the horse, not the house, and start going to shows and and clinics, and at one you meet a really guy who owns a house and is just looking for someone to settle down and share it with him and doesn’t mind supporting you in your horse habit because he either has a horse of his own and want mutual support, or he is an avid golfer/tennis player/fisherman?

What about buy the house and ride this prospect horse for your trainer? You can school him and show him and bring him on for a possible potential buyer and you won’t have invested any of your own money in him? It sounds like you are interested in this sort of investment of time and skill in a young prospect, and who knows? it might open doors to future riding prospects for you, while meanwhile you own your own home?

Or consider this prospect: you buy the horse, not the house, and start going to shows and and clinics, and at one you meet a really guy who owns a house and is just looking for someone to settle down and share it with him and doesn’t mind supporting you in your horse habit because he either has a horse of his own and want mutual support, or he is an avid golfer/tennis player/fisherman?

My older daughter bought her first house at age 22. Four years later, she got a job in a new area and sold the house at a profit. She then rented for a couple of years before she couls find a house that she liked at a good price. That house would not make a profit if she sold it now. However, she loves the house, is building equity in the house, and knows that it should eventually be worth more money than she has put into it.

Buy the house. Be sure it is the right house, in the right area, and at the right price.

A lot will depend on your area and the cost of housing. My husband and I (we’re in our late twenties) went from renting to owning about 2 years ago–we’re in Canada and the housing prices are insane (like budget about $300k for a decent starter home in our area).

It is significantly more expensive to own vs. rent. There’s a lot of “hidden costs” to house ownership. It’s not just your mortgage, it’s also your insurance, your utilities and general maintenance/repairs. And be prepared to pay a premium for maintenance/repairs if you have to hire someone to do the work for you. Plus you need to have a substantial slush fund to cover any emergency repairs. And that doesn’t even begin to cover the costs of furnishing and decorating a home. It’s a heck of a lot more involved than calling up your landlord and informing them that “x” needs to be fixed.

I second the poster who said some of the real estate advice in this thread is dated. With this economy, there is no guarantee that your home will increase in value, especially if housing prices are already quite high in your area. In my experience, home ownership is not the obvious choice it’s made out to be. And I absolutely would not want to own a home on my own.

That being said, does it have to be an either/or situation for you? Do you have to have this $$$ fancy warmblood to train and show. Could you buy a modestly priced youngster to bring along yourself and skip the training/showing? I guess I don’t understand why it has to be a horse that will totally drain your savings…

And maybe condo ownership might be a good middle ground for you depending where you’re located. You get to build up some equity without the significant maintenance involved with a house.

Can you not do both? Or at least buy your house and lease a good horse?

Horses are wonderful, kind, and beautiful–but very, very accident prone.

[QUOTE=Mia Sorella;8264000]
A lot will depend on your area and the cost of housing. My husband and I (we’re in our late twenties) went from renting to owning about 2 years ago–we’re in Canada and the housing prices are insane (like budget about $300k for a decent starter home in our area).

It is significantly more expensive to own vs. rent. There’s a lot of “hidden costs” to house ownership. It’s not just your mortgage, it’s also your insurance, your utilities and general maintenance/repairs. And be prepared to pay a premium for maintenance/repairs if you have to hire someone to do the work for you. Plus you need to have a substantial slush fund to cover any emergency repairs. And that doesn’t even begin to cover the costs of furnishing and decorating a home. It’s a heck of a lot more involved than calling up your landlord and informing them that “x” needs to be fixed.

I second the poster who said some of the real estate advice in this thread is dated. With this economy, there is no guarantee that your home will increase in value, especially if housing prices are already quite high in your area. In my experience, home ownership is not the obvious choice it’s made out to be. And I absolutely would not want to own a home on my own.

That being said, does it have to be an either/or situation for you? Do you have to have this $$$ fancy warmblood to train and show. Could you buy a modestly priced youngster to bring along yourself and skip the training/showing? I guess I don’t understand why it has to be a horse that will totally drain your savings…

And maybe condo ownership might be a good middle ground for you depending where you’re located. You get to build up some equity without the significant maintenance involved with a house.[/QUOTE]

Here, housing prices are almost 1/2 of what they are as an average.
There are two college towns nearby where college students that can afford it tend to buy a starter home and rent rooms to one or two other students, then sell the house when they move on with their lives.

Those houses are generally between $40,000 and $75,000 and keep their value if not improve with a few touches.
They are definitively less costly than renting, even with all the other costs included.
Some of those houses may even have some horse facilities, for those kids that are part of the equestrian teams.

I think that the OP will need to decide what makes most sense where she lives, we don’t know.

I vote for buying neither of them.

In many markets today it makes more sense to rent than to buy. Certainly, if you buy a house that needs work you will end up spending more time & money than you imagine!

I suppose I can’t imagine spending the same $$ for a horse. Seriously. Too risky for me. I’ve always bought with the philosophy to never spend more than you can afford to lose – there’s absolutely no way to guarantee that a horse will stay sound, let alone increase in value.

I would rent someplace you like and buy a more modestly priced horse or lease something nice.

When I was in my 20s I didn’t want to be tied down either by a horse or a house, but that was my choice. I leased a lovely horse for several years and really enjoyed my time with him.

If the mortgage and associated costs (property tax and insurance) cost you the same or less than rent, then do it. Means rentals are strong in your area and you could always rent out the place if you had to relocate and couldn’t yet sell for a profit. Just buy smart!

The horse is a way bigger gamble as far as an investment no matter how bad your market is. I’d go for the house and half lease, and eventually you can get a horse of your own that maybe doesn’t have such a hefty price tag?

I would also second considering a condo or townhome. We owned a lovely condo as our first place - very affordable (relatively speaking), lovely place, and an investment. Usually less appreciation (or depreciation) than so for family homes. We then bought a property (5.5 acres). Larger house means more costs and more work. I’d kill to have my little condo floor plan on this property :wink:

IMO house

People keep bringing up the Extra expenses of a house. That’s the same exact thing as owning a horse. You need a saddle to fit the horse, you need a different bit because he doesn’t like the current one. He decides to stick his leg through the fence. Horses like to eat your paycheck, it’s a known fact

This is coming from someone in her 20s who is a homeowner. I do have a horse, but I’m married so it helps us be able to afford it.

Considering you will never see interest rates this cheap ever again, the house is the best choice, that is assuming you plan on staying in it at least 7 years. By all means though, factor the horse into it by buying in an area where you will be able to afford board. Make you location decision as if you already had your horse which will set up up to have both eventually. Don’t let anyone talk you into buying more house than you need or want. Keep thinking about that horse and make a smart purchase.

buy the house. but make sure not to overextend yourself. If possible rent out a room or basement to a tenant at least for a while. Yes, there are taxes and utilities, and a tenant is a hassle at times, but I’m often gone for work or at the barn, so it’s not that big a deal. It’s nice to make the extra income from the home. It removes some of the financial pressure so I feel less guilty when I spend more money on the horses LOL.

If you are in your 20s, do not buy a house! It ties you down, limits your options in life, and sucks up your time. I wish I’d never bought at that age. It made moving for great deals opportunities and adventure much more difficult. (Many of the same things can be said about a horse, but a house is still worse.)

As to the horse, only buy it it’s the horse you want to ride for many years. Do not buy on the hopes to have an investment of because of your trainer.

Houses can be nearly the same monthly money and time commitment that horses are, but if you love the house it’s worth it. If you just want a cheaper place to live you probably shouldn’t buy a house yet. If you don’t LOVE looking at real estate listings and dream of spending weekends fixing up your yard or choosing paint colors that’s probably another sign you shouldn’t buy one.

On the other hand, if it were me I’d run far far away from any horse worth the cost of a down payment on a home, and the trainer who tried to get me to spend that much. That doesn’t mean don’t have a horse, it just means looking at CANTER listings (or similar price wise) for a project.

[QUOTE=stb;8263626]
By the house. Much as I love them, horses are money pits, not investments.[/QUOTE]

Houses are also money pits.

Stuff happens to houses just as it does to horses. Even new build. Just replaced an a/c unit on a rental, $5.5k. Need to do the furnace & blower as well, another $4k. There is a list of major systems in houses to maintain/repair and eventually replace, as well as all the “minor” but still-costly stuff.

Houses lose equity fast if they are not maintained up to a good standard. Sort of like paying lots of $$$ for a going show hunter, then turning him out for a year and expecting to get the same again on the next sale.

“The market”, generally, may or may not apply to a specific house. The more defects and problems, the less it is worth.

A house-owner needs to be setting aside money every month for the big things that happen. Some people rely on credit card, but you have to maintain an open balance and then, when something does happen, pay interest on gradual payoff. So you suffer the budget hit anyway, plus interest.

[QUOTE=Guilherme;8263642]…
Houses, properly selected, will generally increase in value. Right now be wary because the housing market is “bifurcated” in lots of places. There is a shortage of “entry level” houses so they are seeing a value “spike.” Middle and upper level houses are more plentiful and not appreciating so rapidly.

Buy the house, but buy smart! :slight_smile:

G.[/QUOTE]

Nothing about this statement is true in every market.

[QUOTE=NoSuchPerson;8263719]I am widely considered to be sensible, responsible, and level-headed. :slight_smile:

At your age, if you really want the horse, go buy the horse. But do not buy this horse as an investment. Do not factor any potential future profit into your decision-making process. If you want this horse for yourself, with a full understanding of the costs involved in owning it and you can afford all that, buy the horse. If you can accept the fact that, due to illness or injury, you could end up with a useless, worthless (in the monetary sense) pasture pet, then buy the horse.

If you really want a house, then buy the house. But, in today’s market, depending on where you live, you cannot count on any significant appreciation in value. I own a house right now in another state that is worth less than it was when I bought it 7 or 8 years ago. It’s in a great rental market, which is it’s only saving grace, but it’s also in a gradually changing neighborhood and will likely continue to diminish in value. And I’m probably going to have to put a new roof on it in the not too distant future.

When making this decision, make sure you really understand and have considered the true costs of home ownership. It’s way more than just the principal, interest, and escrow payment.

I guess the short version of what I’m trying to say is that “buy the house” is not really the default sensible answer, so don’t do it just because you think you should.[/QUOTE]

^^^ THIS :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8263855]… But houses get to be paid off eventually, especially if you double up payments
when you can and low interest rates are a boon.

Houses are long term investments, the markets go up and down, so you need a long term goal. Eventually they pay off. [/QUOTE]

Understanding that this does not mean “eventually you get back what you put in”, because counting all the maintenance/upkeep in many cases that won’t be true - the owner may not even get back the purchase price, much less interest, taxes, etc.

It DOES mean that the owner builds equity, and that is a significant asset (but not always liquid). A 2nd mortgage or line of credit can tap the equity once enough is developed, but of course that may then take away the equity. :slight_smile:

A 15-year mortgage is what every homeowner, especially new buyer, should consider. The payments are frequently not much higher than 30 years, the interest rate is lower, and compared with a 30-year mortgage you save 15 years of interest, an amazing amount of money. In 8 years you have 50% equity, a big payoff in terms of financial flexibility AND cashing out when you sell.

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8263855]… But these days I tell my kids the trick is “mortgage helper”. My daughter is a home-owner at a young age, and going to school, but she has a plain little house, by no means her dream house, has put in a beautiful 2-bedroom suite in the ground floor (not below grade) and has rented the upstairs. The rent pays the mortgage, she pays the utilities and taxes and lives at a cost much below if she rented a suite elsewhere and paid someone else’s mortgage.
She is in a University area and there is rental demand and potential for appreciation.
…[/QUOTE]

^^^ Very smart !!!

[QUOTE=normandy_shores;8264269]If the mortgage and associated costs (property tax and insurance) cost you the same or less than rent, then do it. Means rentals are strong in your area and you could always rent out the place if you had to relocate and couldn’t yet sell for a profit. Just buy smart!

The horse is a way bigger gamble as far as an investment no matter how bad your market is. I’d go for the house and half lease, and eventually you can get a horse of your own that maybe doesn’t have such a hefty price tag?[/QUOTE]

^^^ Very good advice. :slight_smile:

The advice of buying a house as early in life “as an investment” is, as has been stated, pretty old school and a bit dated. It isn’t necessarily bad advice, but it’s just not so simple.

This is a great tool to help you figure out what makes more financial sense - buying or renting - based on your area, costs, interest rate, etc. It has many factors you can play with to see if owning truly is the cheaper option. Rent vs Own Calculator As mentioned, owning a home has SO many more costs than just the mortgage and utilities.

Buying a home may make sense for some people your age, but definitely not for everyone. Most people don’t settle into a job or career path until a little later in life, like late 20s or early 30s. If you have any questions about what you do or where you do it, don’t lock yourself into a mortgage. If there is any question in your mind whether you could a) change jobs/careers/income, b) relocate, c) get married/kids/move in relationship in the next 5 years, you may want to revisit the idea of buying until your life is a little more stable. There are no guarantees even if you think you are stable, but you don’t need to start out with a moving target. If you own the house for fewer than 5 years, it is unlikely (though not impossible) to serve you financially in a meaningful way and could hurt you if the market drops and you have to sell.

I had three friends who went through this recently.
Friend A: Mid-20s, married with a child. Wanted to live in this specific area due to family and raising the child here, regardless of job or other factors. Both had stable jobs for the past 2 years but didn’t have specialized skills and weren’t looking for jobs that required them. Made sense for them to buy a starter home with room for their growing family because they were building roots here and could wait out an economic turn if needed.

Friend B: Mid 20s, recently left the man she had planned to marry. No kids. Stable job. Was certain she wanted to work at that job for the foreseeable future, and wanted to stay in the area. She thought a house made all the sense in the world for her and would be a better investment than an apartment. Started house hunting. 2 months later, she got an offer to take over the reins for father’s company which was completely unexpected and she moved 8 hours away.

Friend C: Early 30s, recently married, recently finished masters degree in a specific field with limited opportunities locally for employment. Husband was settled in the area and didn’t want to move. Bought a house. Marriage is on the rocks now and she has to work non-skilled jobs outside her field for less money. Time will tell if it was a good decision.

Just because you have the money doesn’t mean you have to spend it. Make your choice based on where you are and where you want to be. I don’t see this as “house vs horse,” but rather how you want to invest in your own life. Since you aren’t tied down, you might be well set to buy the horse and do the dream now for a few years while your obligations are fewer rather than putting it off until you’re retired. Anything can happen to you and your body, too, not just to a horse, so don’t feel like you’re irresponsible by taking advantage of the time you’ve got. In the end, that’s really all we have. There’s no wrong answer here.

Ultimately, it’s your decision. But since you asked…

I second the poster who suggested buying the house and trying to get the ride on a prospect from someone else. That’s what I’ve always done. Bought my first home (condo) at age 23, and I’ve busted by hiney catch riding anything and everything since I was a kid. I just turned 40, and I haven’t owned a horse since I was a junior, which technically my parents owned. I’ve never been without something to ride just by networking, and I’ve been handed the reins to some very, very nice horses which never would have been in my budget.

In one year my house value has gone up $30,000. In my market it was much cheaper to buy. I could rent a one bedroom apartment for the same price as my mortgage (possibly cheaper if you go to the ghetto). It was an obvious no brainer for us. I’m in my 20s and don’t see the point in moving around. That itself is much more expensive.

This is Realtor speak :wink: I work in Northern VA. My vote would be HOUSE but talk to a GOOD lender and agent FIRST so you have a good idea of mortgage, taxes and insurance each month and utilities. HOA dues (if applicable) and general maintenance. The reason? Interest rates may NEVER be this low again. The affordability factor to buy now vs. when rates creep up is a huge advantage for you at this time in your life. You may find that what you can afford to buy may not match your wishes at this time, or that you need to save more. Then make an educated decision based on that!

Interest rates are low, yes. And some markets are strong. But NOT all. In some parts of the country, housing prices are still falling. We live outside of Boston where we have recovered from a drop in prices. We are looking at properties in Vermont , where my husband and I think we will move when our last child is in college. Prices there are about half what they were 7-8 years ago. My husband wants to look at a house for sale that was built in 2007. The price has been reduced to the point where it probably cost more to BUILD the house!

Be very, very careful about what and where you buy. We’ve owned four houses. We made money on the first three just because we lived in them a couple of times. We’ve watched the value of our current house rise and fall with big swings over the past five years. It is no longer a given that your house’s value will increase over time.