Unlimited access >

To Fly Sheet or not to Fly Sheet

Hi!

I know this is an older thread but it actually came up in a Google search when I put in “when bugs get under fly sheets”

I got my horse an expensive fly sheet, which seems like nice quality and I noticed it was protecting her against flies and smaller flies.

I was watching her graze and yikes! Some bee or stinging insect went under her sheet in the loose area. My poor horse kept kicking at it and swishing her tail. The bugger was caught in her fly sheet!!! An expensive fly sheet caught a stinging insect, yikes. Fortunately I was there so I lifted up the back part of the sheet and it flew out. I think she got stung or at least that bug was definitely aggravating her.

I’m re-thinking this.

I’m in South Georgia and it is just too hot here, even for the thinnest fly sheets. They just cause lathered messes underneath. And, I will say, there is one horse at the barn whose owner uses a fly sheet. She gets a TON of the biting deer flies BENEATH the fly sheet and you can hear them buzzing around under there. The poor horse gets trapped with them.