Unlimited access >

Tow vehicle advice needed

I currently tow my trailer ( Old but safe 2000 2H SL Gooseneck w/dressing room Alum over steel) with a 2003 F350 diesel dually. It has under 100K miles.
I’m considering getting a newer truck, probably a 250… or similar. I know the newer trucks have a higher bed height, and I know my trailer is adjusted about as high as it can go.

Looking for advice… brand? open to used, but what years?

thanks!

Get a flatbed. Then you don’t have to worry about bed height.

We discussed recently in… Gooseneck clearance over tailgate

thanks I;ll look at that thread. I use my truck for hay etc so need a real bed, not flatbed. I’ll just say it out loud - I dont want a flatbed.

Hopefully someone has advice. Anyone know which trucks have the lowest bed height? I cannot find that info on line (I keep getting the depth of the bed or the height of the tailgate. )

Our 2019 F250 has a high bed; I believe they get lower the very next year? I just stepped over and measured, the bed is 58.5 inches high with my “in the driveway” measuring technique. I’m only 5 feet tall and I have to climb up the tires to get into the bed. Our horse trailer is a 20 foot Titan gooseneck and it gets along with the height ok but it’s right on the edge of being too close. Somewhere I have a picture of the two together… The truck is great, works like a champ, just a tall one.

Check out the ford enthusiasts page for more info-they are super helpful and have had a lot of discussion on it already. For example: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1607587-some-2019-vs-2020-height-comparison.html

You can have the axles on your trailer blocked to raise the trailer to clear higher truck bed sides.

I’m not sure of specific years but I know that some Chevrolet and GMC trucks are not as high as the Fords.

1 Like

thanks both of yoU!

Blocking the axles, or if you have room, bigger trailer tires.

I’m with you, why why why do the new trucks sit so high??

I am with you, and was the author of the other thread bemoaning the fact that new truck beds are so high. I carry a lot of stuff in my bed and a flatbed just won’t work for me. I found a good deal on a 2015 F350 diesel with only 50k miles on it and the dealer took my old truck in on trade. I was able to make the pillar on my 2H GN trailer higher to get the clearance temporarily but I am going to have it lifted soon. It is currently not level and puts more stress on the back tires. Best of luck finding the perfect truck!