Unlimited access >

Traditional Chinese Medicine to "cure" behavioral problems?

[QUOTE=3chestnuts;7862687]
How much interaction does she get with other horses? I’m sorry if I may have missed this point. My older gelding is a very stressed and nervous horse. He’ll frantically pace if stalled. He used to constantly pace the fenceline. It was very frustrating to watch him so unsettled.

What worked to calm him? 24/7 turnout with a lot of hay and an ancient pony. A pony who is now the “herd leader” - my horse has always been insecure and having a more confident buddy allows him to finally relax.

I understand moving may not be an option, but is there a horse, like my pony, that she may be able to be turned out with?

How are the stalls set up in your barn? Are there bars between the stalls, or is there a solid wall? I would think bars would allow her to see the other horses, which would make her feel less alone.[/QUOTE]

A couple of months ago I had the same exact thought and I turned her out with this quiet, easy going gelding in a paddock and for the first few weeks to a month they were out 24/7 together. Now, especially in weather like this, the horses need to be brought in in the evening so she is in the stall from late evening until very very early morning.
There are solid walls between the stall unfortunately. There are bars at the top where she stands on her tip toes and reaches up to try to see sometimes when she is pacing. Otherwise she can look out her gate and see at least two other horses across from her at all times when she is in.

Unfortunately I don’t see another option with a different horse working any differently or better than this one thus far has worked. She was out with an old, dominant mare that makes every horse she ever interacts with nutso (maybe because she is so hormonal? This old mare is in heat 24/7 and it is disgusting, to say the least). She made my horse crazy as well. We had to separate them. Unfortunately the most separation we could accomplish was a different field adjacent. It, however, has been a few months since her attachment to this mare was a problem, and I don’t think that’s the source of the issue anymore.
It’s ironic, almost because: as soon as we “solved” that problem with her being really attached to that old mare, she develops obsessive behavior where she paces constantly.

It was very frustrating to watch him so unsettled.

This is the epitome of how I feel. I can’t go to the barn if she does anything like this without feeling exasperated.

Another possibility is that she is not sleeping and lack of REM sleep is making her nutty. I know my gelding paces much more when he goes through periods of not lying down to sleep which may be due to ulcers. We’ve resolved the sleep deprivation by treating for ulcers, using “Liver Happy”, and another spell we tried Gabapentin with results lasting about six months till something sparks the not sleeping/pacing behavior. Something to consider especially if she has any abrasions on the front of her fetlocks.

I have observed a couple of TB mares that were on TCM, neither was my horse nor am I still connected enough with the owners to recall what was specifically used - both these mares were night & day difference with the TCM.

Both horses had very involved owners that explored many options, I would not have wanted to ride or handle either horse sans remedies (they went that far into themselves, it was dangerous to be near).

If you’ve tried many other options, why not explore this area.

Does this horse have access to ryegrass?

[QUOTE=Katy Watts;7863628]
Does this horse have access to ryegrass?[/QUOTE]

No… we use local “normal” hay. Probably a mixture of timothy and such. Why do you ask? I’m not familiar with ryegrass. :slight_smile:

My vet specifically recommended Liver Happy and another herb that I can’t remember (it had an authentic name). I can’t find Liver Happy online, however.

I took the liberty and purchased red raspberry leaves and vietx (an herb in powder form) and starting giving her that tonight. She didn’t want to eat her dinner because the latter herb was very stinky. Hopefully she adjusts and will eat it. I’m going to check on her later tonight.

If I could find the Liver Happy and it wasn’t too terribly expensive, I would buy it. But hundreds of dollars a month on the herbs from the vet is insanity and I cannot afford that. I just redid my finances today to the penny and I’m already in the red for November because of the chiro/acu visit, so I’d rather not spend any more.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I’ve rx’d Liver Happy from Jing Tang Herbal for clients before. It’s not available OTC, AFAIK.

Have you considered getting her a goat friend?

I think that’s the best solution :slight_smile:

I can’t find any evidence that TCM does anything other than anecdotes. Every time acupuncture has been studied, there has been no statistical significance despite all the anecdotes.

I saw some results using TCM herbs (ashwaganda, specifically) and homeopathic treatment on my headshaking horse. But as others have said, I would exhaust other options first. When I lived in TX I got a lot of help from Dr. Madalyn Ward. Her website is holistichorsekeeping.com. She does tempermant typing and can make suggestions about feed for each type. The bulletin board is a useful source of information, and she used to answer questions there regularly. http://www.holistichorsekeeping.com/bb/

My current OTTB has a nervous nature, and can exhibit a lot of the symptoms your mare has. I found that removing all grain has helped him tremendously. He is on soaked hay pellets, soaked beet pulp, rice bran and a mineral supplement as well as good pasture and all the hay he can eat. 24/7 turnout has also helped. Finally, adding ranitidine 2x a day has made him quite mild-mannered.