Unlimited access >

Trail riding saddle assistance please

I haven’t had a problem with it (but I haven’t had an emergency, either). It’s firmly attached at the front, back and around the sides. I just took a half-pad that was too small for most of my saddles, unpicked the reverse roll of the sheepskin (which made a nice pocket for the cantle) and added shoelaces to hold the thing on.

I’m sure the sewing at the point of attachment of the shoelaces couldn’t stop a large animal in flight, but I don’t expect the seat saver to hold my whole body on if the horse when topside down. It’s worked pretty well so far.

The endurance people have sheepskin saddle covers that go all the way down to the tops of the stirrups. Mine isn’t that extensive.

I used to trail ride over some pretty rugged terrain in a dressage saddle.

1 Like

Maybe a western / endurance type synthetic would work? I have several Abetta endurance and my daughter just snagged this up on Ebay for $550 shipping included.

16" Abetta Western Special Trail Endurance Saddle

1 Like

Ooh I’m intrigued! I just got my husband a Traeger grill for his 40th birthday, he agreed to get me a western saddle for mine coming up next year :smiley:

We use full sheepskins and they are very stable and comfortable. I slide less then I do on the leather but I don’t feel stuck in place. It is the right amount of grippy. I was also surprised how comfortable they stayed even in very hot weather.

1 Like

Check out Specialized saddles
My other favs are Bob Marshalls and I have an old Stubben Scout that is awesome

I mountain ride in a McCall Lady Wade…saddle weighs about 25 pounds, is VERY comfortable for all day riding and secure. They are not cheap saddles but they last. You can get them in full QH bars which are rather wide saddles.

Former eventer here and am on 5’2" with 17hd horses. I have been very pleased with my Equitation Endurance Tucker Trail saddles. I have two versions - the Classic and the Horizon. Both are comfortable for all day riding, fit the horses well, don’t slide around and are under 30lbs. The Classic being the lightest at 24lbs. I do ride with the Toklat contoured pad that fits beneath these saddles which retails for $109. I’ve done all day rides over multiple terrain and no complaints. I like that these saddles have english rigging as I don’t care for either fenders or horns.

But if you do, I have heard really great things about the Allegheny Mountain Trail Saddles.
https://www.trailridingsaddles.com/

I trail ride in my Niedersuss dressage saddle more than my western, it’s that comfortable to me and we do some moderately hairy ****.

For synthetics, the Fabtron has a softer, pliable feel than any wintec or abetta I’ve used…I’ve owned all 3. The lady trail rider feels like a nicer saddle.

I like a modest, forward slung horn. Not too big, not too fat. Modest swells and a decent cantle for steep or exciting situations. Pretty much what @OnAMission said. I use synthetic stirrups with a wide foot bed for comfort.

Oh DH has an Allegheny mountain trail saddle that weighs nothing. I hate the horn on that thing but thats just me. We bought it used. It’s maybe 25 lbs. Similar to this…

https://www.trailridingsaddles.com/custom-saddle/cascade-wade-saddle

1 Like

Late to the party – and note I am not a long-distance trail rider. BUT. I prefer to have a saddle I can get out of easily if I need to. I used to have a very deep seated dressage saddle that I used for everything, and one time I had about 2 seconds before my mare was going to blow, and almost couldn’t get my leg over the cantle to dismount. I like English saddles in general, and now have a Black Country Celeste with a few semi-custom modifications.

I’ll toss DP Saddlery in the mix. A friend has an El Campo and really likes it for trail riding and general use.