Unlimited access >

Trail Tack

[QUOTE=Mtn trails;8104951]
They were at the BCHW packers rendezvous. Beautiful stuff but not practical for serious trail riding plus expensive.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ on being practical or not. I trail ride a lot, and this girth is very durable. Fits great on the horse and I have put a lot of miles on the cinch in the last year and a half.

It is more expensive but its hand made. Custom made to match my gear. I had just got my long awaited custom saddle so it was a great way to finish fitting it out.

I wouldn’t ever buy cheap tack anymore, because its cheap tack.

For someone not interested in custom tack, that’s fine. My second choice would be a mohair Classic Equine girth as stated above.

[QUOTE=cutter99;8101815]
Clanter, your horses are beautiful![/QUOTE]

thank-you

these two were some interesting horses to have as they would do anything you asked

I see you’re in eastern WA so a lot drier over there. I live on the west or rather wet side so such a beautiful cinch would be covered in mud in short order so maybe not practical for where I live.

Not to derail, but c4c, where do you ride? Just looking for new places to explore.

[QUOTE=Mtn trails;8105441]
I see you’re in eastern WA so a lot drier over there. I live on the west or rather wet side so such a beautiful cinch would be covered in mud in short order so maybe not practical for where I live.

Not to derail, but c4c, where do you ride? Just looking for new places to explore.[/QUOTE]
I deal more with heat than wet. My mare over heated last year in an Air Flex or whatever it is by Weaver and an Impact Gel pad. Now I will only use mohair and a plain wool pad.

We ride some in the Blue Mts, but mostly various places in the Columbia Basin area and some in Eastern Oregon. Mostly more flat landers here, but some of the surrounding hills can be a challenge and a good ride.

Also some smaller area trails along the rivers. Multi use though.

We’re heading over to Quincy this weekend to ride the Burke lake area. We go every spring as our kick off for the riding season.
A good trail horse is worth its weight in gold. Sounds like you’ve got some nice ones.

I too have a Circle Y flex tree and i just bought myself a Circle Y regular tree for riding on my drill team, I haven’t tried it yet, but am very excited about it! Circle Y has been good to me. I saw that someone mentioned a Tucker saddle, I also have a Sharon Saare endurance saddle that I absolutely love, and of course my Crosby Sofride English Saddle. All of them are great saddles for the trail. I have a breast collar, fleece and a decorated leather one that matches my headstall for fun triails. I prefer a softer girth, fleece or felt, with nylon cinch and off billet instead of leather. Bridle brands aren’t really important in western trail riding, as long as it is quality. Most people go by preference of look, one ear headstall, throat latch or not, horsehair accents, mecate reins, etc. Point is that it we probably all have some stuff for functionality and other stuff for style in Western riding. I hope that helps.

Thank you so much! I never really understood what the cinch is for though…:confused:

The cinch/girth holds the saddle on the horse…

I use a western style endurance saddle for trail riding. The cinch I use is a nubby airflow type neoprene material ( weaver smart cinch). My saddle pad is a canvas type material on the top and similar airflow type neoprene against the horse. https://flic.kr/p/6r4xVz The bridle I use is an inexpensive western brow band type. The reins are flat rope reins which I love. Her “bit” is an English hackamore. https://flic.kr/p/5w5y7K