Unlimited access >

Trailer Advice

Thanks! Honestly, I thought it would make a bigger difference in weight than it does, so I’m pretty open. One of my hesitations in keeping the B’Up into its old age is that I have no real source for parts anymore, and at some point it will need a floor. I’m all for things that are generic/easily replaced - like wood floors. I’m not sure what happens when you need to replace an aluminum floor?

these are in Very short supply, total on hand in the entire country is a few days supply but of the ones you posted it would be my choice

Jeep Waggoneers… there are hundreds of days supply… so a lease might be Affordable and that would be the only way I would look at those

The Fords, we have been a Ford family but I would be hesitant to purchase another after seeing what can easily go wrong with the electronics. F150 that as the avoidance radar system, get water into the tail light assembly…well its not a cheap fix as the system talks to other system in the truck. What would have been a simple replace the tail light assembly for $25 suddenly becomes a $6,000 repair

3 Likes

You prepare to spend a lot of money!

(I’m diligent about making sure that the bedding soaks up the urine and I’m regularly cleaning underneath there mats for exactly that reason)

2 Likes

I have to laugh because otherwise I’ll cry.

I’m all about safety, but at a certain point it’s ridiculous to have to strip the vehicle down and do 57 software updates in order to checks notes fix a broken door lock. This is why my SO has some deep seated disdain for certain luxury brands. You can’t kneecap the whole car because your bug wash system got clogged.

6 Likes

Looks like I can also get Shadow, Adam, Homesteader, and Cotner locally. Any of those brands to consider?

Shadow is definitely not something I would want but they are a decent entry level trailer. Adams are very nice. I was deciding between a 4star and an Adams for my trailer and went with the 4star because it was a little more luxurious but am sure I would have loved the Adams as well.

4 Likes

I towed my two horse all aluminum bumper pull for 20 years using three different Sequoias. I still own one of the three. It served my needs very well but I bought the lightest trailer I could find which means no dressing room etc. No way I would have hauled that same trailer with the added weight of a dressing room

3 Likes

I’d still vote Hawk or Equispirit over those. Hawk or Balanced Ride would be my first choice for American trailers compared to any/ all other brands due to quality/ reputation, the items they include on their entry level models (which are extra $$$ in other brands), and the thoughtfulness of horse friendliness in the design.

Also on the note of aluminum floor replacements, they are often (usually?) more expensive than replacing wood.

On the off-topic discussion of tow vehicles, Id vote for the Toyota or the Ford. The Wagoneers look nice but I too have a distrust for Jeep (and a love for Toyota).

4 Likes

My first used trailer was a Cotner and you can get a much better constructed trailer for around the same price. I had two of the three hinges on the ramp go. At home thankfully while practicing loading. Granted I bought it used and it was a 2003 but when I had it fixed, the guy that did it was NOT impressed with the construction, hinge points/welds etc. It was the Squire model and they appear to be built nearly the same still.

Living in a state with winters and winter road treatments, I went with a 2024 4 Star all aluminum this spring. Two horse slant with a tack room. Very happy with it.

2 Likes

A Hawk like this with a ramp is about 3700 lbs empty and you can customize.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I want! Enough space to stand comfortably in front of the horse, put on a bridle, and then walk out. I’m fine with the angled wall in front too - I need to fit 3-4 bales of hay, Husky tack trunk, and my box of emergency equipment in the tack room. I don’t need it to also fit people/changing.

1 Like

One of the ladies in our barn has one and loves it. I’ve hauled it once and it was easy to haul and lots of room for a 17.2 warmblood. I know they use their Suburban to haul it to shows. Happy to ask her any questions for you.

2 Likes

@FjordBCRF, who did you buy your 4 Star from?

There’s a trailer dealer in the area that sells them; they have sales in NE Ohio and Western PA! Do you want the specific name?

If that’s what you want you could also look at a Bockmann Portax in the longer version. There’s a model with a front walk off ramp and a couple of extra feet at the front of the trailer.

2 Likes

Yes, if you could, please. PM me if you’d like.

Thanks! It looks like a cool trailer but it doesn’t solve the B’Up’s tack room space issue unfortunately. I need to fit 5-6 days worth of hay in the trailer, plus a tack box, and I despise leaving things in the horse area even if well secured.

4 Likes

I see that there are a few people praising Trailers USA. While I’m sure some have had great experiences with them, I would never put my horse in one. My husband has a trailer repair and maintenance business, he sees a lot of trailers every week and Trailers USA is the brand we have seen the scariest problems with. We have had two in the last year, that were less than five years old, that have had the Axles fall out from underneath the trailers. One was a 2 horse bumper pull and the other was a 4 horse gooseneck. Neither trailer had been abused or hit anything. They are the perfect example of pretty but not functional.

Look for something like a Hawk, Eby, older 4 star if you want safe and functional.

7 Likes

Check the tongue weight of the trailer you’re looking at against your new SUV’s hitch rating. Some trailers get up to 20% of their weight and a trailer shown above at 3,700# empty, plus at least 3,000# of horses and gear, could have a tongue weight of 1340# - Chevy recommends a Suburban carry max 10-15% of the gross trailer weight, up to 1,250#

Of course all models and hitches are different but it’s important to consider tongue weight - especially with the less balanced US style trailers on an SUV.

6 Likes

Thank you! Looks like I won’t be able to consider them anyway. The used one sold before I got there.

Thanks!

1 Like