Unlimited access >

Trailer questions/issues-yuk!

Stargzng, I totally agree! Tho I have no issue with loading, I see what you mean. Finances are part of this of course-re racing out to buy new trailers!!! But I want my horse to be at least happier, and, as I say, I want to be able to take another horse along or go with someone else too!

Regards,

Huntin Fool

You know I didn’t think of thing him to the other side!!! All good ideas, thank you.

The funny thing was I had to sell a 2 horse for the stock for my previous horse who wouldn’t load in a 2 horse but loved being loose. I did get lucky my friend was selling her trailer so I was able to buy it then sell mine quickly and I wasn’t out too much $$. I’d def see if you can just test a diff trailer first. I was able to reach out to his previous owners and get all of his history from them.

1 Like

You mentioned plywood for the open part. Do you mean the horizontal slats? There are ready made plexi inserts for closing up the stock trailer’s open slats. I’d try the tinted ones to reduce his view.

Have you tied so he can position himself diagonally facing the rear? Like a reverse slant?

That he loads and stands quietly tugs my heart strings. He is trying.:orange_heart:

Could you turn him loose in the front of the trailer and take a short drive? I have a stock type trailer and have had a couple over the years that had issues being tied but hauled just fine loose. They usually preferred to stand facing backwards.

How is your driving??? Any chance you can go somewhere safe and take a ride in it yourself to see if it is making any strange noises once in motion?

2 Likes

This is a great idea. It’s amazing how loud it is, and how easy most of the rattling is to fix with slim pieces of rubber or some electrical tape.

Stock trailers can be loud if the center gate is not closed since it kind of rattles. I can see a sensitive horse getting bothered.

1 Like

I can ask the trainer who bought him and then called me. She came and got him from a pretty poor situation. Tho as I say, he came on a two horse from Florida and was fine when I unloaded him in the dark and led him across a pitch dark yard. Before then he’d only probably been loaded two or three times!

It doesn’t have a center gate-which might help if I put one in, but then I’m back to putting money in a trailer the trailer guy doesn’t think is worth it. I have driven it plenty with the truck windows down-it does rattle! Not terribly but like a stock trailer. I guess I could try to find and muffle the rattles. The way he’s tied in there now, in the middle of the trailer, he can stand sideways and face backwards if he’d like-or face forward. When we’re just standing around he usually faces backwards.
My driving is slow and steady, slow turns, slow stops. Of course like we all have had happen, people have pulled out in front of me, etc. and I’ve had to brake.
I had to drive about 40 min each way today to get a shoe back on. He did seem better actually, though still hopped around as we got near home.
I will talk to a couple of buddies and maybe I can try loading him this weekend.