Unlimited access >

Trailering with an F250

Some can be comparing apples and oranges. The 7.3 Diesel engine was an international ( I believe) and a workhorse. Due to a falling out with International / Navistar and govt regs for fuel efficiency and emissions Ford switched to their own engines. For several years they were not good. I think the newer trucks are much better now.

Go to a Ford dealer. He has the stats for what your truck will haul. I sat down with my dealer when I bought my first truck and he pulled out the printout from Ford and went over the hauling abilities of each truck. I only had 2 big horses then, so I did not need the capacity that you will need.

However if I were you, I’d get an F350. Better to have too much truck than too little truck. (The F250 would have been fine for my 2 horse trailer and 2 big horses.)

First, I now know my Dodge is done. The next step is how to get rid of it. Something deep inside (bearing?) is going/gone and I will not put that much money into this pit.
I think, after reading here, and researching I may see if I can find a F250 Diesel, 99-00 @ $8000. Have to do some creative financing, but I’ll feel better. A friend of mine went with a F150 (99), but I was under the impression that my rig was just a bit too much for that size.

Thanks for the input. It does seem my best bet is buying out of state so a road trip may be soon coming.

I’ve pulled a 4 horse head to head with with a F250 with tow package. Ran fine, never struggled nor have an issue stopping fully loaded.

I know LOTS of people that use “250/2500” to tow a 4 horse.

IMO and experiance a 350 is fine but a bit of overkill. Especially a dually. Big truck big fuel guzzler.

To each their own on this.

F250 is one thing; gas or diesel is a separate question. I would not haul anything bigger that a big 2h DR with a gas engine of that vintage. A diesel could do what you want. You didn’t specify (or I missed it) which kind of engine you are considering.

I have a friend with a 97 F250 diesel who has hauled a big Hawk 3h slant w/ DR for years, with three horses, with no problem. She just upgraded to a new truck for modern comfort reasons (and age) but kept the old truck for farm work. The 7.3 diesel will run forever, just have to watch the rest of the truck. Ford did make a couple of honkin’ big gas V-8s back then, but they don’t age as well as the diesel did.

I have a 2001 crew cab, 8’ bed F250 with 7.3 diesel engine and 270,000 miles. I pull a 2+1 aluminum trailer with mid-tack and LQ just fine (loaded to the gills, sometimes). The acceleration up hills is a bit sad when loaded down, but the upgraded trailer brakes help it stop just as quickly as my 2-horse bumper pull. Of course, it probably helps that I put a full, steel flatbed on the back, so it weighs more than an “off-the-shelf” model.