Trainers for physically disabled riders

[QUOTE=KLS;4329479]

This might sound weird, but as far as “concentrating and sttruggling to get it right,” I’ve found over the years that the harder i actually concentrate/fixate on something, the more my spasticity kicks and and ruins things, especially if I’m aiming for relaxation.

I finally discovered that it pays not to concentrate, per se, just “think” about what you want your body (or the horse) to do for a moment or two, almost as if you expect the horse to read your mind. The horse can sense your energy field, and that’s a more unadulterated form of communication than trying to fight with your body to make things work; plus, by just envisioning what you want, you give your own scrambled neurons a chance to catch up and figure things out, rather than be forced.to do something.

If that makes no sense to you, I apologize. A series of injuries in college sent me to the doorsteps of 2 PT’s, one of whom is also a yogi, and the other of whom does researh in energy work… it’s all rather holistic. ou might want to (re?) read Centered Riding, a lot of the images concepts and analogies might help.[/QUOTE]

But this is true for everyone! The funny thing is, when I am showing students in lab how to use pipetting devices for the first time, for example, they always, ALWAYS grasp the handles in a tight grasp and of course they lose all dexterity because of that. The more they want to do it correctly, the more precise they want to be, the harder they make it for themselves. And even though I see this, and understand, I find myself doing the same thing in the saddle. Saturday in my lesson, I could actually feel how my left rib cage “folded in” tracking right - first you have to let the energy flow so you can feel where you’re inhibiting that flow…does that make sense?

Higher Level Horses

[QUOTE=whicker;4329473]
Newbie question: Why an FEI horse for 2-3rd level test? What makes the difference that requires it? If the horse is going in a higher level frame than 2-3, wouldn’t that count against the ride? Are higher level movements used in the freestyle or bonus points for tougher combinations?[/QUOTE]

Higher level movements are allowed in the freestyle. In grade 4 I can do half pirouettes at the canter and tempis every 3 stride. Movements for the grade 4 freestyle can be up to the Prix St George Level. It makes competition stiff.

Freestyles for grade 3 can include all lateral movements and single flying changes.
Grade 2 can include lateral movements at trot and single flying changes.
Grade 1b and 1a can do lateral movements at walk and trot.

Zowie! I have soo much to train my horses to do!:eek:

On excellent days, we can manage 2nd level. This looks like I am going to need a lot more time, education, and endurance. I may go for the oldest Olympian title. There was I think a British lady who won the regular dressage silver medal at age 72.

Better find a photo of her to put on my bathroom mirror along with tips from Kyra Kyrklund’s symposium last year at USDF.

Anyone know who she is?

I am in Southern Maine and am more than happy to work with physically challenged or handicapped riders. I am a Grand Prix dressage rider and have earned my USDF Gold Medal on my special horse that I brought up through the levels myself. I, myself, was in a horrible vehicle wreck 4 years ago, and still suffer damages from that, so I have alot of empathy that many instructors do not have. I know how challenging it is to work with a body that sometimes just doesn’t want to cooperate the way we think it should! We often need to find creative ways to work around the issues as best we can. Best of luck and happy days to all of you who are courageous enough and determined enough to get out there and do your best, despite your disabilities!

Wahoo Wah!

Byrtness,

Thank you! Invite will be happy to have company. The more the merrier in your neck of the woods. I don’t know Maine to tell you where PintoPiaffe is, but she will be a kindred spirit.

[QUOTE=byrtness;4330535]
I am in Southern Maine and am more than happy to work with physically challenged or handicapped riders. I am a Grand Prix dressage rider and have earned my USDF Gold Medal on my special horse that I brought up through the levels myself. I, myself, was in a horrible vehicle wreck 4 years ago, and still suffer damages from that, so I have alot of empathy that many instructors do not have. I know how challenging it is to work with a body that sometimes just doesn’t want to cooperate the way we think it should! We often need to find creative ways to work around the issues as best we can. Best of luck and happy days to all of you who are courageous enough and determined enough to get out there and do your best, despite your disabilities![/QUOTE]

OOOOOOO!!! I am excited!!! Feel free to PM me if you want, but I would love info about you and your location. I am in Southern NH. I have a nerve disorder which is related to MS…long and involved. I currently own a TB who was schooling 3rd before an injury, who is now just my “practice” horse aka pet, along with 2 promising youngsters. I bought one of the youngsters at 4 months when I saw her walk in a field of horses even though I had gone to try a 4 year old! Do you have any school horses or schoolmasters to learn on? Do you take ship ins? Please PM me with all the info. You sound exciting :slight_smile: I’d LOVE to chat!!!

Waving hand here.

For those who might be interested and have enough people I do clinics. Because I have to ride a little differently due to my injury, I have the great understanding about trying to do things differently while still keeping the horse correct. Just give me a PM.

Piaffing,

We haven’t forgotten about you! Would you like to tell us more about what you like teaching, what levels and experience? You are near Toronto? Let’s see that would be 12 hours drive from Virginia. You had suggested that Coth devotees come up for a competition next May and get classified by the International Classifiers. Care to elaborate?

jumping back in…if anyone knows of any instructors in the Boise, ID area the only therapeutic programs near there only works with kids…and my sister is 28…so I am still looking for a way to get her back on her pony…

Hope is on the Way

Hi Myvanya,

I wrote Hope Hand, who is the chairman for the para-equestrian outreach committee, about our thread. She is in europe for the European Dressage Championships and will be talking to us when she gets back next week. I think that we will have a frequent poster from the outreach committee, too.

If you go back to NeverTime’s post on the borrowed horse thread, there is some info about para that may help you. Here is a link to the committee http://www.usdf.org/about/about-usdf/councilscommittees/paraequestrian.asp

The organizer in Boise didn’t make any suggestions? Were you talking to the owner?

Maybe because in an FEI horse, the 3rd level movements are going to be “confirmed”, whereas with a horse that has only competed up through 3rd, then will be less “solid”.

The Grade IV horses need to be in an FEI frame. As another poster mentioned, the MFS can use movements through PSG. In order to be “competitive” internationally at any Grade, but especially Grades III and IV, the horses are pretty spectacular, as are the riders, and both are “competitive” in open classes, many at PSG.

My mare is training all of the Grand Prix movements and was shown successfully last year at PSG. This year, we have been getting in the mid 60s in the Grade IV Tests the few times we’ve shown. As a newly disabled rider, I am finding her advanced training a mixed blessing. Although we are getting better understanding one another, my mare has a couple of times offered piaffe and passage at inappropriate times. In one test, during one of the 10 meter canter circles, she started to pirouette and I almost couldn’t get her out of that!! She’s a bit of a show off and is trying to get me extra-credit points, no doubt!! :smiley:

My point is, that for anyone who has owned or ridden a schoolmaster, it is sometimes hard to avoid pushing the wrong buttons. Add to that, body parts that are not all under your voluntary control and the results might not be exactly what you’re expecting! I am fortunate that I have owned and ridden my mare since she was a green broke 3 year old and we know each other well.

I am still having the same issues that most AA’s have acheiving success in collection. My girl doesn’t always want to work in an uphill balance and we occasionally confuse “speed” with “impulsion.” :lol: In the show ring we can have tension, and by golly, I’ve never been great at walk pirouettes even when both legs worked. You know the drill…

[QUOTE=whicker;4332688]
Piaffing,

We haven’t forgotten about you! Would you like to tell us more about what you like teaching, what levels and experience? You are near Toronto? Let’s see that would be 12 hours drive from Virginia. You had suggested that Coth devotees come up for a competition next May and get classified by the International Classifiers. Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

I can teach right up to the FEI levels. I really like working with the student to over come training problems and position problems as most times they are related. I’m just north of Toronto.

The show in May at Windreach is a great opportunity for those who want to get their FEI classification without having to go to Europe. You would have to contact the organizers about having it done.

[QUOTE=whicker;4332930]
Hi Myvanya,

I wrote Hope Hand, who is the chairman for the para-equestrian outreach committee, about our thread. She is in europe for the European Dressage Championships and will be talking to us when she gets back next week. I think that we will have a frequent poster from the outreach committee, too.

If you go back to NeverTime’s post on the borrowed horse thread, there is some info about para that may help you. Here is a link to the committee http://www.usdf.org/about/about-usdf/councilscommittees/paraequestrian.asp

The organizer in Boise didn’t make any suggestions? Were you talking to the owner?[/QUOTE]

No- haven’t been able to talk to the owner yet since I am doing this long distance. Right now the main thing is finding someone who can help her get back on…checked the nahra website too though and didn’t find any programs near her that would work with adults, but it doesn’t list instructors. Hopefully she will move out here to Colorado soon though as that would make it far easier.

Myvanya, Another Idea

Myvanya,

Talk to the organizer/owner at Pal-O-Mine Equestrian center in Long Island,New York. They have a website with contact info:

www.Pal-o-mine.org

Ask them for help with resources and tell them about this thread and the number of posts. They are one of the best in the country and should have the network of contacts to help you. I went there when I was doing the classification test for FEI para-equestrian/paralympics. Wonderful people. Let me know how it goes. I can email them if you need extra support.

Sharon Schneidman is the co-coach for the paralympic team. She is based in Colorado, so she may have some thoughts, too.

let and allow, and nondoing

When you are able to let and allow ;)your horses(s) to move freely, you will find that they do the movements more freely, it is called “nondoing” in Alexander technique; It feels like you are doing less:winkgrin: but, the horses are giving so much more:yes:; It’s as if the horses “flow through you:cool:” as a student of mine described it.

Neat

[QUOTE=Carol Ames;4333458]
When you are able to let and allow ;)your horses(s) to move freely, you will find that they do the movements more freely, it is called “nondoing” in Alexander technique; It feels like you are doing less:winkgrin: but, the horses are giving so much more:yes:; It’s as if the horses “flow through you:cool:” as a student of mine described it.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a very interesting technique. Maybe having less control of your body, such as my limitations with the use of my legs, causes the rider to HAVE to let and allow the horse to move more freely. Now that I am unable to grip with my legs and rely mostly on my seat, my sitting has become deeper, yet lighter. It is almost as if I am one with the rhythm of the horse. I was always a soft rider, but now my riding just flows and is relaxed. I don’t have the ability or disability :wink: to be stiff. I know this sounds strange, but this is how it is.

Carol, can you tell us any more about this type of riding? Is it possible that my disability has given me more ability? Thanks so much for sharing. Where can we get more info on this or a list of instructors who teach this method?

Alexander Technique teachers

Alexander Technique isn’t a form or style of riding, but more a system of body awareness and training that is useful to all sorts of people prone to or experiencing pain. Not surprisingly, in equestrian sports, Sally Swift is widely associated w/ Alexander technique, as well as her own priciples.

background: http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

teacher index: http://www.alexandertechnique.com/teacher/

Thanks

[QUOTE=KLS;4335847]
Alexander Technique isn’t a form or style of riding, but more a system of body awareness and training that is useful to all sorts of people prone to or experiencing pain. Not surprisingly, in equestrian sports, Sally Swift is widely associated w/ Alexander technique, as well as her own priciples.

background: http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

teacher index: http://www.alexandertechnique.com/teacher/[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the links! I will definitely check them out. Maybe there will be a teacher near me so I can try it out. Carol’s post really intrigued me and your post has made me even more eager to look into the Alexander Technique.

Whicker- thanks! Sharon is fairly close to where I am so I may talk with her and see if she has any ideas… will also try to contact Pal-o-mine and see if they know of anyone. Still working on my sister to move out here to CO which might make things easier too…I appreciate the help…