Unlimited access >

Trespassers and stray dogs on new property, how to handle

I was under the impression that if the posted sign is not completely filled out with signature and date by the property owner it is not considered valid, as anyone could post them them.

1 Like

She probably thinks she’s protecting them.

5 Likes

When you set it up, bait it with milkbones or the like. A very furry dog can walk right under a hot wire and feel nothing. To break my doodle of crossing out of my field (he would duck regular wire), I took the cheapest, most flexible hot wire I could find in short lengths and a box of milkbones and walked out to my trouble spots. I essentially fashioned “ornaments” by wrapping one end of the wire around the milkbone, and the other around the strand of fence. I set them about every 12 feet or so on the stretch that was his trouble spot. When I was done, I turned the fence back on and walked away. It took very little time for his nose to overcome his concern…Yelp!!! Yelpyelpyelp and he bolted for home. That was maybe 3 months ago? He doesn’t go anywhere close to that part of my pasture, never. He doesn’t associate it with me, he wasn’t there when I baited the fence.

Doing so will teach any dog (or coon lol) to avoid that nose-zapping area.

8 Likes

My sensitive border collie would likely never touch a milk bone again if I did that!

7 Likes

You know I wondered about that! It hasn’t slowed down Fozzie one bit!

9 Likes

I would think they had a big problem with neighbor dogs and people trespassing?

We had 2 people doing just that a few weeks ago down along the creek that flows along the border of our property . Looking for Morel mushrooms. If they stay in the water they are not trespassing and I can’t say anything but they were on our land.

Many today lack common respect for what belongs to others. The man with property across the creek has gone to building a cement wall to block access to people parking their cars on his property to access the creek from the road. He has signs everywhere.

4 Likes

You could have led with the “I’m not a racist” part and I would have been like, say no more…but a drawbridge? I’m cracking up at that

8 Likes

He is currently trucking in dirt to put in a swimming pool. So far over 200 plus tri-axle loads and he needs more.

I said to my husband, if you have to truck in that much dirt for a project when you own over 170 acres, you probably bought the wrong property!

8 Likes

Isnt a pool a HOLE in the ground??

20 Likes

Also my question!!

3 Likes

That is what I thought it was. If you have to build the ground up to make the hole, doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

3 Likes

200??? lordy mercy

Over 200 with many more to go we were told. Kinda unbelievable! We can only imagine how much a load cost, especially with diesel at the prices it is right now.

1 Like

The fisher is a weasel , and not a good neighbor if you have small animals or poultry.

Regarding the neighboring snow shoer, I’d check with previous owners regarding permission. Then proceed from there.

GSD, and other breeds can be educated to leave other critters alone with judicuious use of an electonic collar.

Stray dogs amusing themselves on your property can be trapped , hopefull humanely, and turned in the AC.

Re: permission;, the gentleman who informed me, after I inquired whether Cleo had give him permision to be on my land,that he and Cleo were great friends. He an she spoke all the time. The CLEO I was inquiring about was MALE. :grinning: :wink So go to thr source of the possible permission.

Pls, update us on the " ****** stupid’ interloper.

Get up those "No Trespassing signs ASAP. A solar powered hot wire can also work well.

I hope you are planning on living on that land.

Yes, however depending on the ground in question, there may be a need to build up the area. My sister had to do this in Las Vegas when the pool contractor ran into caliche during excavation.

If he is bringing in that much dirt, be sure any runoff is not directed at your property. There are usually laws regarding that…

4 Likes

He has right of way to get into his property, which is across the lane from us, and the house where the pool is going sits in about the middle of the property, so I think we are okay.

It is kinda funny because I can see this huge pile of dirt from the higher point of our property when I am out riding. And it is HUGE! Not what I would be spending money on!

We are in the middle of a rural southern state, so chances are there is no zoning in situations like this.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s building a hill to hide a bunker in? :wink:

2 Likes

Who knows! We do have our fair share of preppers in this area, but most preppers won’t waste their money on a Maserati that they cannot get on and off their property without a car trailer! :joy:

4 Likes

For trespassers, if they’re neighbors, I’d suggest getting to know them. Maybe you can allow one or two to walk on your property if they prove trustworthy, and they can become good partners in defending your property against bad actors. It works well in my little enclave.

For dogs, I’ve taken 2 paths. When a strange, but friendly seeming dog shows up on my property, I usually catch them and put them in my barn in an empty stall. I’ve always been able to find the owners and let them know that their dog roaming through my horse pastures is a BAD THING. Most owners have been very apologetic and I’ve never seen the dogs again. For those who have tried to say “well he would never…” I tell him I don’t care and we’ll shoot anything we see near our very valuable horses.

I do have another neighbor, however. Their dogs went so far as to kill one of my cats on my front porch, and this was after I’d seen the dogs chasing my horse one day. I called Animal Control and they threatened to take the dogs away. The neighbor apologized, I told her (through fairly hysterical tears) that I’d shoot her dog the next time it set foot on my property, and I’ve never seen those dogs one time since then. Several years later, that neighbor’s pigs got out and i got an immediate phone call about how sorry they were and they were trying desperately to catch the pigs. Amusingly, the horses were terrified of the pigs and my husband got hysterical video of the pigs trying desperately to stay away from my Guard Pony.

13 Likes