Unlimited access >

Tribute Senior Sport -- choke issue

I’ve been feeding this feed for at least 6 months and have not had any issues with choke however my horses feed is already soaked and beet pulp shreds are added. I did note that the last few bags did seem to have large chunks of beet pulp then I have seen in past. So far, my 30 and 21 year old have not had issues but again the food is already soaked due to the aforementioned addition of beet pulp.

ProForce Senior is a good alternative if you are looking for another. I also love Tribute Kalm Ultra which has no addition of beet pulp. I was feeding my 30 year old Tribute Kalm Ultra solely up until 6 months ago when he really became unable to eat hay so needed a more complete feed.

TC Sr Gold has a very fine consistency that soaks up quickly. You may want to look at that if you continue to have trouble.

My husband accidently bought this when I asked for the ProElite Sr. The ingredients are not constant, that is why you can not find them anywhere online. Caned molasses was the third ingredient in the bag I bought. A couple of the horses were fired up and some got diarrhea after starting to switch them to it. I took the unopened bags back and so far have been happy with PE Sr.

Just wanted to update on the ProElite Sr. All had been going well with it. I soak my two choke prone horses feed for an hour before feeding. One of them choked on this yesterday. I found some very big pieces of beet pulp in the bag. One is almost three inches. I have a call in to ProElite. But I am not comfortable feeding this feed any more…ugh

This will happen with every feed that uses whole beet pulp shreds as part of the mix. I don’t know exactly when sugar beet harvest is, it’s either now, or coming up soon. When that happens, all the feeds that use whole shreds in the mix will have bigger pieces. As the year wears on and the shreds get “old”, they get more broken down so by the time they’re mixed in with feeds at the end, they’re much smaller.

But sometimes, those big pieces hang on and end up in feed

2 Likes

Thank you, I figured that out and will be looking for a feed without beet pulp. Even with soaking the bigger pieces they stay quite hard.

Since this seems to be an industry wide problem does anyone know of any senior feed or complete feed that does not use beet pulp?

It’s not that you don’t want beet pulp, it’s that you don’t want a textured feed where beet pulp is part of the texture.

Tribute Seniority comes in a textured and pelleted formula, both of which have beet pulp
Buckeye has a Safe N Easy Sr that is extruded, and Safe N Easy Performance pelleted which totally reads like a “senior” feed as well, both of which contain beep

I’m sure there are others, but those are 2 brands/3 feeds that might get you started.

3 Likes

I was trying to steer clear of pelleted feeds. I don’t soak everyone’s grain. Just the two who have choked. But I may need to go in that direction.
I like the higher fat content and NSC of the Safe N Easy Performance. I’ll call my feed store tomorrow, I am curious what it is priced at and will also see how much Tribute’s Senior Sport is. ProElite Senior is now costing me $26.45 a bag.

Hopefully my final post on this. I had another non choker choke on ProElite Senior. I have switched to Buckeye Safe N Easy Performance. I chose it over the Senior for the higher fat content. It is soaked to a mash easily. It is also a couple of dollars less here than PE Senior.

I was told by ProElite rep: we’ve had no others report this issue.

2 Likes