Unlimited access >

Triple Crown 2021

Latest futures for anyone thats interested

I wonder how much of the Life is Good hyp is the horse and how much is the trainer (witness Stage Magic who was strong race-time favorite and did run well, but Prevalence looked very sharp).

1 Like

Greatest Honour ran well in the Holy Bull.
I love the bridle look, old school–no noseband and what looks like a loose ring snaffle maybe? Hard to tell from the picture on Bloodhorse.

Medina Spirit today in the Robert B Lewis at Santa Anita.

:flushed:

BH headline does not do the stretch run by all three, Medina Spirit, Roman Centurian and Hot Rod Charlie today in the Robert B Lewis Stakes (G3) at Santa Anita.

Medina Spirit was hustled out of the gate by Abel Cedillo to get in front and was pressured early by Wipe the Slate. As Wipe the Slate faded at the top of the stretch, I could see Roman Centurian and HotRod Charlie coming and thought Medina Spirit was done. He just did not give up finishing first by a neck over Roman Centurian who finished a nose in front of Hot Rod Charlie.

Spielberg had a rough start and just never fired.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/245966/medina-spirit-narrowly-lands-robert-b-lewis

Medina Spirit was the “other” BB colt in the Sham that was coming after Life Is Good at the finish :slight_smile:

He seemed to me to have the same relaxed demeanor that American Pharoah had (if not the competitive spark) . The do de do de do I’m having a run around, sort of look to him. I’m not familiar with the horse so can’t say if he’s really that relaxed, he just looked that way in that race.

Saw an interview with Mike Smith yesterday (saw it on TV yesterday, don’t know when it was actually done). He said Life Is Good was still showing green when he got so far in front in the Sham and started fiddling around. He didn’t think that Medina Spirit would have headed him but I also know Mike Smith is no dummy and will always be very careful what he says in a public setting :slight_smile:

For me marching toward the first Saturday in May, there are others I like better than Life is Good. And it’s early yet, who knows how the landscape will change in the next three months.

So this colt, Bezos, is another Baffert trained KY Derby prospect. Except he is already labeled as a great one, sort of. Anyone know anything else about him?

Pretty soon there will be a horse in the Kentucky Derby futures pool that is still in utero.

1 Like

Well he sure failed to deliver on all the hype.
Peter Eurton’s colt, Dream Shake, looked really good. Won easily.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/usa/sa/2021/2/7/5/race-5-msw-at-sa-on-2-7-21

Video:

Has a long way to go to win the Derby.

Which one as a long way to go, Bezos or Dream Shake??

Well ridden race by Joel Rosario on Dream Shake. I’m, at the moment, kinda over BB and his KD/TC hype. Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during the BB / MS post-race conversation. Bezos never really fired. Simon Brey (TVG) said it was risk starting a maiden at this time in their 3YO season if the target is the KD as now it would mean starting in KD points races as a maiden against horses who, more than likely if the favorite, have won previously.

I loved the post race interview by Brittney Eurton (TVG). She first talked to Joel and then… Dad, tell me about this horse :hearts: (since her dad, Peter Eurton, is Dream Shake’s trainer).

Not charmed by either Bezos or BB’s other horse, Tivoli Twirl. A seventh and a ninth place finishes respectively. I’m also finding myself thinking, when I see a ‘nice’ BB horse run, is the horse really nice or is the horse nice because of some ‘accidental’ contamination. BB’s barn sure seems to see more of that than many other trainers.

A late addition… congrats @LaurieB who was breeder of Dream Shake!!! :tada: Maybe another good one in the making!

4 Likes

Well done @LaurieB!!!

2 Likes

I was referring (sarcastically without sarcasm emoji) to Bezos. I am tired of the Baffert hype.

Dream Shake looked great.

1 Like

I’m with you on getting slightly worn out from the BB hype combined with his drug “contaminations”.

Was just hard to tell without a name and didn’t want to make an incorrect assumption. :slight_smile:

Dream Shake did look good. Looking forward to his next race to see if the performance holds up.

BloodHorse article about our @LaurieB 's homebred. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/246078/dream-shake-upsets-at-santa-anita-as-bezos-runs-seventh

Paulick Report https://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/dream-shake-crushes-santa-anita-maiden-field-highly-touted-bezos-seventh/

Sweet ! Press and everything. Many of the same quotes but still, they all carried the story.

Well done and congratulations @LaurieB !! Will you still know us, now that you are a famous TB breeder :blush:? Certainly not your first good one, but perhaps the most publicized?

You’ve bred a “TDN Rising Star” !.
Rather a big deal. I’m so pleased for you. :hugs:

7 Likes

Thanks @skydy. We were thrilled with the race. It’s amazing how much press it has received, which has nothing to do with us or Dream Shake, but rather because the “Avengers” kept touting Bezos as a horse who couldn’t be beaten. Turned out most of the field beat him. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Yes, but the one you bred looked so good doing it. :blush:

3 Likes

Manaloun wind the Risen Star to earn KD points.

Not the KD, but Oaks…
CLAIRIERE picked up 59 points today.

It is getting more interesting. Today:
the Fountain of Youth at Gulfstream
the Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn
and the Davona Dale at Gulfstream for fillies

1 Like