Unlimited access >

Trunk has become default storage spot

Of course you could put those fly trap sticky tape things on top of it. I’m sure that would do it

2 Likes

While I’m not in love with Clanter’s overly nasty (and mess making for you too) idea, I might be tempted to come up with some sort of upside down Mactac (that vinyl shelf paper stuff) arrangement as long as I could do it without damaging my trunk surface. Let a few people get their grooming kits stuck to the top of your trunk and they might get the message. Note might be tempted. I think there is a better way to deal with this.

A nice neutral note that says, “Please don’t place your items on this trunk”, might work. Pin it to a decent looking towel that you drape over the entire top of the trunk to protect the finish from getting scratched. Keep the towel clean/rotated regularly so that people get the idea that they may have been damaging your trunk and you’re over it.

Another (fantasy) treatment would be to pull your trunk out from the wall about 4-6" and just go ahead and open the lid quickly when there’s crap on top of it. Do it in front of the offenders without apology. LoL.

3 Likes

No roost pigeon strips? Those prongy things? It would mean you couldn’t use your trunk top as a surface either but at least you could open it at will.

https://www.nixalite.com/product/pigeon-spike-stainless-bird-spikes?p=871&msclkid=facc2092259c15095c3a42ec5614a789&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2020%20Shopping%20CAG%20MS&utm_term=4581802398840515&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

My trunk is one of those inexpensive Stanley ones from home depot, so no chance of any lasting damage. I’d be supremely pissed if this was an expensive wood trunk or one of those with the vinyl sides whose brand name escapes me at the moment. I would have thrown an epic tantrum if that was the case.

1 Like

This is just an observation about boarding barns and women, in particular. Why is it that so many women are unwilling or unable to be direct in their communication? You don’t want stuff on your trunk, then say “Hey fellow boarder, I do not want you to place you stuff on my trunk. Please remove it now. Thank you.” Nothing mean, nothing nuanced and just the facts. Be direct. Also go see the BM and BO. Again be direct. “Other boarders are using my trunk as a repository for their items when using the x-ties. It needs to stop. Obviously there is a need for (whatever). Would you please install (whatever) as soon as possible.”

I admit that I am female and have been criticized for being direct. I leaned long ago that wishing, hoping, thinking and praying is not going to work – you just tell people what you want and let the chips fall as they may.

7 Likes

Been there, done that, you’re assuming other boarders give a **** and the barn owners also.

2 Likes

OP, I feel ya. My Stanley trunk is also right next to the crossties. We have folding saddle racks on both sides of the aisle, bridle/halter hooks, etc. and stuff is left on my trunk: grooming trays, crops, saddle pads, etc. Not everyday, but at least a 1-2 times a week. My trunk is about 5" from the wall so I do just open it and whatever happens, happens. There is also a big garbage tote nearby, so things often end up in there as well.

2 Likes

We have the same thing, including a saddle rack that no one uses, but bridle hooks are filled with all manner of crap. I’m going to go through it today or tomorrow and try to organize it a bit better so it’s a little more usable.

Maybe I’m the anomaly here, but I would try to move your trunk or swap it with someone else’s. It appears that that space is exceedingly convenient to use, and that’s unlikely to change. Perhaps a saddle rack and bridle hook in that area may help? I also often find things on my trunk as well, but it is conveniently located and it’s usually by people whose trunks are not close to their stalls or the grooming area. I can sympathize with their not wishing to walk back and forth repeatedly to avoid setting anything there- especially if it involves walking away from a cross-tied horse.

1 Like

yep. that old double standard. I’ve had it thrown at me as well.

4 Likes

Unwilling to admit the message, they attack the messenger.

4 Likes

Can the BO or BM add something in the area that would work?
People are going to have stuff and stuff will get set down somewhere. With something useful in place, you are in a more comfortable position to put a bright note on your trunk-top, “I am not a table, please don’t use me like one.”

If the BO won’t, then post your note anyway and offenders stuff gets put in a walmart sack and stuck in the lost and found or wherever makes sense. It won’t take long for the problem to resolve itself.

2 Likes