Turnout/Clipping/Blanketing/Riding in the Wet and Winter

In all fairness, it’s October and it’s a fjord. That could be 5 minutes. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 Likes

Ummm yes. If you start at the neck and end at the butt, by the time you’re finished in the back you about have to start right over :rofl:

8 Likes

I clipped my Fjord’s neck on Wednesday and it’s already growing back. :rofl:

1 Like

I took xan to the fjord evaluation 1 month ago and of course that meant I had to full body clip him a few days before I left. 10 days after I got back I was in Tryon for a CDE. I genuinely thought he was too fluffy by the time we got to dressage. I think his coat was twice as long by cones. Yesterday he got a high trace because I’m not showing again until January and I’d like to only clip once more until January, so this time I’ll wait until December (if I can stand it) when he’s in full Nordic fluff. At least the clip job after that is to remove the full body guard hairs that makes him look like a Norwegian porcupine as soon as it warms up or we go to Florida.

4 Likes

His air conditioning has been installed! Thanks again @RedHorses for sharing the pictures, I think this will be a good way to go for us.

It was 40 and rain/drizzle when I pulled in and he was standing in his dry lot not bothered in the slightest. We did a nice trail ride in the rain with a little bit of galloping and no sign of sweat so :partying_face:.

6 Likes

we’ve currently got the same hairdo :heart_eyes:

how do you like the scoot boots for yours? I’ve been trying to find boots that would fit correctly

1 Like

I love it!!

The scoots have worked really well for us, I’m on my second set in 3 years. I do trim myself so that helps a lot. I tried him in renegades and we were NOT the right hoof shape for them. The Scoots are also much less fussy to fit, take on and take off.

1 Like

thank you- will definitely have to take a look at the scoots

1 Like

We were going for the higher cut here (since it is destined to be fully removed in 8ish weeks)

1 Like

I don’t have a Fjord but I do have a wooly mammoth of a pony who gets a good trace clip in November and then touched up as needed over the winter. I don’t do his under-belly or much of his neck.
The one thing that I have found very useful over the years is a cheap little hair dryer.
Once they’re used to it - and if they can tolerate clippers, a hair dryer is nothing… it will dry the long hair on the chest/belly quickly so you can re-blanket before turning out.

1 Like

Nice job! If you do want to take more off later, I’ve found that the clip is effective over twice the area actually clipped. Say you find your horse gets sweaty for an 8" wide stripe above the current clip - clip 4" and the other 4" above will probably not get very sweaty.

1 Like

Thank you!