Unlimited access >

Uh Oh... I've decided that I want a pair of full schooling chaps (I think)

Uncool as they may be anymore, I’ve got three pairs of full chaps on the back seat of my car right now: plain black suede, brown suede with fringe (!) and smooth green with navy piping. I still use them and as the pictures below will illustrate, they last forever. Can you tell that I love them? :rofl:

On Will in 1997

Rosie’s first day under saddle in 2003

On Luna in 2008

5 Likes

I’ve just jumped back on the full chap bandwagon! I had a pair of Journeyman’s that I wore on/off for a while. When I started riding again consistently in 2018, I was shocked that everyone just wore tall boots. I bought a few pairs of Tredsteps and the snaps on both of them just broke at the top. Rather than continue to use vetwrap to protect my saddle or get them fixed, I just pulled out my chaps and voila! I’m back in love!

I also just scored a pair of Pinnell’s at Middleburg Tack Exchange for $175. I think it’s a sign.

Now, let me check out that Navajo saddle pad link…

2 Likes

The only place I knew that made them was Broken Horn, outside of Los Angeles. And it’s closed now. But I would think that any kind of thin “seat saver” would work to protect your saddle… just not sure if you’d like the feel.

Have to say that for all the years I wore schooling chaps, I personally never had an issue with them damaging my saddles. But of course back then I was riding in Stubbens, Parrianis, Crosbys, etc. and they were kind of bullet proof.

1 Like

I have Journeyman’s that I had measured at Beval’s almost 20 years ago. I still wear them all the time when I ride! They were pricey back then, but seeing how well they held up, money well spent! If I decide to ever get a new pair, I will just send these to Journeyman as a template…

Here you go! Plus Journeyman full chaps and no helmet, duh, because we were cool like that :wink:

12 Likes

There’s the saddle pad I think of when someone mentions a Navajo. Lol.

1 Like

So I have a pair of 20-ish year old Barnstable chaps that I have been wanting to resurrect. They are super stiff from sitting in my trunk for 20-ish years :laughing: Any recommendations to get them back to usable? Do I just need to wear them around the house for a few days to get them flexible again? DH would have a field day with that :rofl:

2 Likes

They’re here and they’re great! Kudos to Barnstable for the super fast shipping. Just as sturdy as I remember them being two decades ago. And yes, I’ll be riding in my CWD in jeans - mine’s the “cheap” leather anyway.

12 Likes

They look very nice!!

They fit you like they were custom, and the color is nice, too. The Barnstable ones I had years ago were a colorful combo of navy with a turquoise stripe.

I’m in the process of getting custom chaps. I’m just stuck on the colours etc. I’ve not worn a pair for maybe 15 years so am super excited.
@ClassyJumper the company does make half chaps with fringe!!:joy:

1 Like

If you get smooth out, with the suede on the inside, consider how the color will look after exposure to sun and overall use. *I prefer the smooth out because it’s easier to wipe clean, stuff doesn’t stick to it like it does to the rough out and any details/trim are more evident. But maybe that’s just me. :wink:

I ride in mine most of the winter, and then also use them on long trail rides if I’m going through a lot of brush. When choosing a color, think about how it’ll look after sun exposure and overall use. My cocoa brown ones have gotten lighter in the most exposed areas, but have also developed a nice patina. My gray ones turned a weird yellow tan where the sun hit them the most, and became rather blah. The chap maker should be able to give you some input, too.

THEY’RE HERE!!
The darker ones are almost perfect but the tiniest bit wide in the calf.
The lighter ones are pretty darn close but a bit wider in the calf. Good enough to use though!
I’m going to post something on our local horse community page and see what people know about alterations.
Yes I’m standing on the bathroom counter.
Yes that is a Robert Pattinson shirt.
Once I clean them up I’ll upload more pics.
Here are the darker ones:

Here are the lighter ones:

And here is a picture of me taking the pictures:

Happy new year!!

18 Likes

Nice!!

I do seem to recall hearing that it’s possible to put them in the washing machine. Maybe on the gentle cycle with Woolite? Or something like that. But I never tried it myself.

And I would say definitely not the dryer!! Lol.

Happy New Year!! :clinking_glasses:

I’ll work on that.

And mine were monogrammed for full West Coast Hunter Princess effect.

2 Likes

Glad they made it to you and they’ll get some more wear. :grin:

8 Likes

You’re quite agile! Want to come unload some feed out of the back of my truck? :laughing:

7 Likes

Haha!

1 Like

I’m not the T-shirt type, but I love Robert Pattinson.

This thread is why I love COTH.

2 Likes

An apt description!

3 Likes