Unlimited access >

Ulcer help?

So a few days ago it was brought to my attention by our equine chiro that my mare may or may not have ulcers after we mentioned she had what we didn’t know was a flare up due to a stressful trailer ride back home from a show recently.

My mom and I are kind of at a loss because we haven’t ever had a horse that has had ulcers before and so we don’t know what to put the mare on (other than Gastro-Guard) that will help her with them. I mean, I believe what I’m asking is by your experience, what supplements show the most results? I know SmartPak has some stuff, but is it worth buying?:confused:

You’ll find a lot of helpful information here if you’ll search for ulcers. Or even use the “similar threads” feature at the bottom of the page.

When my mare was diagnosed with ulcers she was well past the point a supplement would help her heal them. We went straight for the omeprazole and sucralfate. I’ve used ranitidine successfully, too. But she internalized stress and so her situation wasn’t just a one-time thing.

Some people have put their horses on supplements and helped them. Others have gone straight to the meds (as I did) and then moved to supplements after the ulcers healed.

There are many answers to your question. I hope you’ll be able to do some research here and elsewhere and make an informed opinion.

Good luck!

Search COTH for “blue pop rocks” and be prepared for lots of reading. That is what I just ordered to treat my guy for ulcers. They’re not inexpensive, but no where near a month of gastroguard.

After treatment is done it may be beneficial to put the horse on an ulcer preventative. But no supplement from smartpak is going to cure ulcers.