Unlimited access >

Ulcer Supplements- Too many to choose from!

[QUOTE=LarkspurCO;8547538]
I doubt most people give it much thought at all, let alone underestimate it. I know some horses that just can’t chew hay anymore because their teeth are bad, but they seem to do fine on a pelleted diet. I guess it’s better than being emaciated (or dead). [/QUOTE]

I don’t think the underestimation is intentional. Maybe I should have used the word misunderstand in its place.

There are exceptions to every rule. Senior horses with poor teeth are certainly one of them. My reference is directed towards horse owners that provide soaked feed to their horses who have no dental issues.

Has anyone measured the difference in saliva production in a diet that includes a few pounds of soaked feed in addition to regular forage? Is there a significant difference? [/QUOTE]

Actually, yes. Horses will produce up to 3-4 gallons per day of saliva when chewing concentrates (senior feed, alfalfa pellets, etc…) vs as much as 8-10 gallons per day consuming dry hay as the primary forage. The difference in saliva production could very well explain or at the very least be a contributing factor as to why the incidence if EGUS is common in race horses. Or EGUS in horses fed sub par forages that necessitate the supplementation of concentrates in order to maintain weight.

Another study stated horses chewed 43,000 times per day when fed ad-lib hay vs 10,000 chews when fed pellets. Saliva has very little if any amylase content, but it is high in potassium and bicarbonate. The consistency of saliva also helps to provide a protective coating where the esophagus empties into the stomach. Horses produce HCl 24 hours a day. If they are not chewing, they are not producing saliva. This “off” time can lead to irritation of the stomach lining.

If the horse produces enough saliva produced is sufficient to break down and swallow the soaked pellets, why would they contribute to ulcers?[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand what is being asked here…

I keep my horse on the GUT supplement, and when he came back from 5 weeks of intense training (during which he had limited turnout and added stress), I had him scoped for ulcers and he had none. He is a very sensitive horse, so I think the supplement may be working. I also keep him on 1 cup of omega horseshine per day, which is good for all kinds of things.

I’m not sure I should comment as I am only one month in to feeding an ulcer supplement, but I’ll throw it out there. One of my show horses was showing some mild ulcer symptoms; getting girth, mildly cranky under saddle, not urgent about eating grain (definitely not off his feed though). He’s an appendix QH with a high percentage of TB, and is an obvious worrier. Also was in tact through his 3 YO year (stressed about girls, er lack of girls). Just for giggles I treated him with GastroGuard for a week and I think I could see a little bit of difference. I then put him on Smart GI and pretty sure I noticed a big difference within a week; could be coincidence, but either way, he became actually hungry for grain again and would push the bucket out of my hand as I would pour it. His eye is softer and he seems happier; granted he wasn’t “unhappy” before, but he does look better.

[QUOTE=Brian;8547680]
I don’t think the underestimation is intentional. Maybe I should have used the word misunderstand in its place.

There are exceptions to every rule. Senior horses with poor teeth are certainly one of them. My reference is directed towards horse owners that provide soaked feed to their horses who have no dental issues.

Actually, yes. Horses will produce up to 3-4 gallons per day of saliva when chewing concentrates (senior feed, alfalfa pellets, etc…) vs as much as 8-10 gallons per day consuming dry hay as the primary forage. The difference in saliva production could very well explain or at the very least be a contributing factor as to why the incidence if EGUS is common in race horses. Or EGUS in horses fed sub par forages that necessitate the supplementation of concentrates in order to maintain weight.

Another study stated horses chewed 43,000 times per day when fed ad-lib hay vs 10,000 chews when fed pellets. Saliva has very little if any amylase content, but it is high in potassium and bicarbonate. The consistency of saliva also helps to provide a protective coating where the esophagus empties into the stomach. Horses produce HCl 24 hours a day. If they are not chewing, they are not producing saliva. This “off” time can lead to irritation of the stomach lining. [/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Thank you.

Not sure I understand what is being asked here…

I was (inartfully) seeking clarification on your earlier statement, but your response above has answered that for me.

Obviously there is a huge gap between the two extremes you laid out (all forage versus all concentrates and pellets). I would assume that a small amount of concentrate along with ample forage (whether it’s “sub par” nutritionally or not) wouldn’t significantly affect a horse’s saliva production.

I think you’re right that a lot of horses are not given anything close to an ideal diet, but many horse owners are limited in their boarding options so have to “make do” with the services provided in their area. Then there are the challenges of finding decent hay in many areas (like here, for instance).

While spendy, I have had good luck with Succeed. Of course he has been at home for the last few months so the real test will be when he starts showing in the spring. My horse gets lots of pasture, lots of coastal hay and 1/2 flake alfalfa twice a day. He gets a tiny amount of alfalfa based extruded feed 3 times a day. I tried U-Gard and it did nothing. I use Ulcer Gard sparingly for travel, showing or acute stomach trouble. He is fat so I have to be careful with how much alfalfa he gets.

[QUOTE=pony baloney;8547563]
My horse has very mild ulcer-like symptoms due to Cushings. I like GUT because it’s like a conditioner for the stomach, not an ulcer treatment. If my horse had full-blown ulcers, I’d use standard treatments. Looking at reviews on SP, someone mentioned that sups like U-Guard contain aluminum; not sure why that is bad but a lot of them have it.

My horse’s NQR, very mild occasional colic-like episodes have not returned while using GUT.[/QUOTE]

This–I use GUT on my two ulcer prone horses as a preventative but when they are doing something stressful like a show and/or show signs of discomfort I add omeprazole. This has worked very well for me. I never keep one on omeprazole long term.

One will show signs of discomfort in a day or two if I drop the GUT. He does this tongue swallowing thing. Not cribbing, but just standing there. It is unmistakable. He doesn’t do it on the supp. That horse automatically gets omeprazole when he travels, he will get a sore tummy for sure, might as well head it off at the pass. He is a delicate flower.

[QUOTE=Brian;8547133]
If I recall correctly, the alfalfa your horse is on is a pellet, is it not? About 14 lbs per day if memory serves me correctly. I don’t know your reasoning for this, but in most cases, the primary cause for supplementing with alfalfa pellets is to compensate for sub par hay. If your timothy/alfalfa/orchard blend was of high enough quality, there shouldn’t have been a need to supplement almost 50% of the forage intake with pellets. That’s precisely my point regarding building a diet around a quality forage. The diet you have your horse on may be based upon an all forage diet, but that’s not the same as being based upon a quality forage diet.

A horse chewing 14 lbs of alfalfa pellets is not going to produce the same amount of saliva as it would if it were chewing 14 lbs of high quality long stem alfalfa. Some people soak alfalfa pellets to make a mash. How many times do you think the horse will chew a mash before it swallows? I think sometimes, the importance of saliva production and what it does in the digestive process in the horse is grossly underestimated by horse owners. IMO, that could be the very difference between needing a gut supplement or not.

Sorry, I just don’t believe it makes sense to put together a feed program for a horse that requires a supplement to be added to prevent or fix a problem potentially caused by the feed program itself.

I’d be very interested in reading the scientific studies that support GUT’s claims.[/QUOTE]

Here’s the rundown. My horse doesn’t do well on a grain based diet but refuses to eat pure alfalfa hay. Not to mention 40lb bales of alfalfa cost upwards of $30 here in Florida. That would last my horse 2 days if he’s lucky. Not cost effective, either. I replaced his grain diet with alfalfa pellets, NOT soaked. The blended hay he eats is offered in the amount that he comfortably consumes in a day. Always has some left. If i just left him to eat the hay, he wouldn’t eat enough, and would lose weight. The alfalfa pellets provide the extra calories he requires.

I don’t see what’s confusing about that? He’s still on a forage based diet, whether you consider alfalfa pellets forage or not, they’re not a grain. I do realize they’re not long stem forage and I’m not saying they are. Only that they provide extra calories that he refuses to eat in pure hay form. A multivitamin to balance what he’s not getting from the blend of hay that he eats.

Where’s the confusion? It’s still a very stomach supportive diet. Why do you come on every post and start out so snarky? No one is disagreeing that forage based diets (which is all you seem to care to offer to anyone here ever) are the best way to go. Why then do you feel the need to knock other things which work for certain horses? They aren’t one size feeds all. I know a terrible ulcer horse who eats 32 pounds of pure high quality alfalfa out west daily and nothing else. He still has ulcers. He still requires treatment. He still receives a supplement for his stomach. Explain how his forage based diet isn’t working? Because it isn’t “high quality”? That’s not a reason when the hay is great. I’m not saying my hay is the best, however I do happen to know for a fact that it’s not hurting my horse and not the root cause of ulcers or stomach upset.

Please do a bit more research on ulcers before blasting off that if all horses were forage based, they wouldn’t require supplementation, omeprazole, etc. Some horses are managed poorly in their past and it sets them up for a lifetime of stomach issues no matter how well they’re supported the rest of their lives (IE being OTTBS). Not in ALL cases, of course, but they sure do exist.

I stand by the supplements that work for me and my horse. GUT has been great, Smart Digest Ultra has been a godsend for my horse’s hind gut. Actiflex gives a notable difference in my horse’s performance and his joints. You can’t argue with something that we as horse owners experience day in and day out. You take my horse off any one of those three supplements, and he’s nowhere near the same animal. Try to explain to me how my horse’s diet causes that. For someone who totes around claiming to know so much about a forage diet, you sure are confused and misinformed about some things. Are you stating that everyone should get hay from the most nutrient dense fields in america so that no one has to supplement anything? Good luck telling that to folks like myself in Florida, where nothing grows but coastal type grasses. We have to import our hay from other states. And even then, we can’t be sure that our hay, as pretty as it may be, is going to fill in all our horse’s requirements. Yes, we test it. But we still may find that we need to add something to the diet. Selenium…Vitamin E…seriously, you’re saying if everyone is feeding a good hay, no one should need ANY supplement?? Why is it different for ulcers? Some horses, despite the best diet, are still way stressed. It’s not all about the diet. I just hate misinformation being spread around.

[QUOTE=One Two Three;8548589]
Here’s the rundown. My horse doesn’t do well on a grain based diet but refuses to eat pure alfalfa hay. Not to mention 40lb bales of alfalfa cost upwards of $30 here in Florida. That would last my horse 2 days if he’s lucky. Not cost effective, either. I replaced his grain diet with alfalfa pellets, NOT soaked. The blended hay he eats is offered in the amount that he comfortably consumes in a day. Always has some left. If i just left him to eat the hay, he wouldn’t eat enough, and would lose weight. The alfalfa pellets provide the extra calories he requires.

I don’t see what’s confusing about that? He’s still on a forage based diet, whether you consider alfalfa pellets forage or not, they’re not a grain. I do realize they’re not long stem forage and I’m not saying they are. Only that they provide extra calories that he refuses to eat in pure hay form. A multivitamin to balance what he’s not getting from the blend of hay that he eats.

Where’s the confusion? It’s still a very stomach supportive diet. Why do you come on every post and start out so snarky? No one is disagreeing that forage based diets (which is all you seem to care to offer to anyone here ever) are the best way to go. Why then do you feel the need to knock other things which work for certain horses? They aren’t one size feeds all. I know a terrible ulcer horse who eats 32 pounds of pure high quality alfalfa out west daily and nothing else. He still has ulcers. He still requires treatment. He still receives a supplement for his stomach. Explain how his forage based diet isn’t working? Because it isn’t “high quality”? That’s not a reason when the hay is great. I’m not saying my hay is the best, however I do happen to know for a fact that it’s not hurting my horse and not the root cause of ulcers or stomach upset.

Please do a bit more research on ulcers before blasting off that if all horses were forage based, they wouldn’t require supplementation, omeprazole, etc. Some horses are managed poorly in their past and it sets them up for a lifetime of stomach issues no matter how well they’re supported the rest of their lives (IE being OTTBS). Not in ALL cases, of course, but they sure do exist.

I stand by the supplements that work for me and my horse. GUT has been great, Smart Digest Ultra has been a godsend for my horse’s hind gut. Actiflex gives a notable difference in my horse’s performance and his joints. You can’t argue with something that we as horse owners experience day in and day out. You take my horse off any one of those three supplements, and he’s nowhere near the same animal. Try to explain to me how my horse’s diet causes that. For someone who totes around claiming to know so much about a forage diet, you sure are confused and misinformed about some things. Are you stating that everyone should get hay from the most nutrient dense fields in america so that no one has to supplement anything? Good luck telling that to folks like myself in Florida, where nothing grows but coastal type grasses. We have to import our hay from other states. And even then, we can’t be sure that our hay, as pretty as it may be, is going to fill in all our horse’s requirements. Yes, we test it. But we still may find that we need to add something to the diet. Selenium…Vitamin E…seriously, you’re saying if everyone is feeding a good hay, no one should need ANY supplement?? Why is it different for ulcers? Some horses, despite the best diet, are still way stressed. It’s not all about the diet. I just hate misinformation being spread around.[/QUOTE]

1. Never said or indicated alfalfa pellets weren’t considered forage. I have indicated my lack of preference and substantiated my reasons in the past. I consider or classify any pellet as a concentrate. Concentrates do not have to contain grain or grain products.

2. And why is my trying to help people understand the importance of quality fiber in the diet is a problem for you?

3. Without knowing anything else, a guess could be, maybe the 32 lbs is fed all at once. If it takes the horse 16 hours to consume the 32 lbs, the remaining 8 hours, the horse has nothing to eat. Once approximately 2/3 full, the stomach will begin to empty within 15-20 minutes. That leaves a big window open for acid production without food or saliva. Put the horse in work during this time frame and you exacerbate the problem. If this is the case (and I’m certain you will say it’s not), this is a management problem, not a forage problem. In reality, you haven’t given me enough information to be able to accurately answer the question.

4. Never said your diet was the root cause of your horses ulcer. Could it be contributing to a stomach upset?, I still believe it may be possible. JMO.

5. Actually, I have researched ulcers quite extensively. IMO, that’s the reason we have OTTB’s or OTQH’s at our farm doing quite well without the use of ulcer meds or ulcer supplements. Not much different than your belief regarding the need for GUT and everything else you feed horse in order for it to survive. It’s one thing to research ulcers, it’s another to take away information that can help avoid the recurrence of ulcers. I’m no expert, and am always open to reading good information if you have any.

6. Certainly not in all cases. Nothing is 100% with horses. Common sense has to come in to play at some point in time for understanding generalities.

7. So how does the experience you have with your horse invalidate the experience I have with ours day in and day out?

8. I did. You accused me of being snarky, confused, and misinformed. Go back and reread my post slowly and carefully. It was my opinion.

9. What things exactly am I confused and misinformed about?

10. If you’re interpreting my reference to quality forage as coming only from “nutrient dense fields”, or “never having to supplement anything” you need to take a reading for comprehension course.

11. You test your hay which is half of your horse’s diet. What about the other half from alfalfa pellets? Shouldn’t that be tested as well for more accuracy in the diet?

12. Again, I’ve never said, “no one should need ANY supplement?” I have indicated or implied that IMO, many supplements are needless and often overused. That is not to be confused with the need to supplement essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals predicated upon age, body weight, activity level and life stage. I also have never been critical of any joint supplement.

13. No, diet isn’t a 100% cure all. But it certainly ranks pretty high on the list. Environment and management also play an important role.

This is a public forum where people are entitled to their opinions. My opinions are based upon information that I consider to be factual, not anecdotal. I’d be happy to substantiate any of my posts with facts. Provided of course, you will as well.

Lastly your entire dissertation regarding my post reinforces my belief that you especially and maybe other horse owners do not consider or understand the importance of saliva production and its purpose in the digestive process of the horse. JMO

Brian…while some of your input is interesting, your tone comes across a bit off putting. Let someone’s choice to feed a supplement alone. Right or wrong, most people on this site are trying to do right by their horse and shouldn’t have to justify it. This is the most educated horse forum I’ve come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian:
Just a suggestion to the OP. While I don’t disagree with having to use an ulcer treatment protocol for an OTTB, I do believe that ulcer therapy should be on a temporary basis and not long term. Once treated and corrected, IMO, the best ulcer prevention protocol is a feed/supplementation program built around quality forage in the diet, as well as 24 hour access to forage.

If you are having to continually add a supplement or digestive aid to your horse’s diet to prevent an ulcer from reoccurring, you may want to reevaluate the current diet and feeding practices. JMO

Brian: I get so tired of people saying that ulcers can be solved by the appropriate diet and life style. That is what vets preached 15 years ago. Yes, those factors are important. However, horses get ulcers for many different reasons. A horse that is stressed can get ulcers regardless of how they are managed. The stress can be be caused by pain or a multitude of other reasons. I think everyone agrees that omeprazole has been shown to cause problems with long-term use. No argument. However, once treated, there are good gastric and hind gut supplements that are saving horses from getting ulcers again, regardless of the original reason the ulcers developed.

[QUOTE=TWH Girl;8549214]
Brian…while some of your input is interesting, your tone comes across a bit off putting. Let someone’s choice to feed a supplement alone. Right or wrong, most people on this site are trying to do right by their horse and shouldn’t have to justify it. This is the most educated horse forum I’ve come across.[/QUOTE]

The tone of my delivery may be due to a careful (yet apparently failed) attempt to overcome difficulties with Dysgraphia as it pertains to my written communication skills. It’s not meant to be demeaning. No one would be able to make heads or tails of any of my writing if I didn’t go back and try to carefully reword everything. And even with all that effort, sometimes people still can’t make sense of what I’m trying to communicate. My frustration isn’t due to their lack of understanding, it’s my failure to communicate effectively.

Can I get defensive and combative? Sure, especially if I feel attacked or provoked. But I don’t believe I’m the exclusive member in that club on this forum. I am who I am.

All that being said, I post with the intentions of sharing information that I think may be of benefit to some readers. There are times when I’ll try to word things in an attempt to illicit thought or to put things in a different perspective. Possibly one that may not have been considered before, for what ever reason.