Ulnar neuropathy

[QUOTE=Adamantane;7432733]
Every best wish for a good result. My cervical MRI had shown some “very old” damage that I trace to an event when I was 17, but that proved to be the red herring that delayed intervention.

Nerve conduction studies on both arms conclusively eliminated any cervical contribution despite what even I could see looked to be concerning, so I can’t blame the original doc – the human body is remarkably resilient – but offered up a smoking gun for bilateral ulnar compression.[/QUOTE]

That’s good to know. I’m actually looking forward to having the test and finding out what it says. Bring on the EMG. I’ve had neck issues for many years starting back at a bad car accident 20 years ago. I’m just hoping whatever it is has a quick surgery and good outcomes. Thanks

FWIW, my initial outbreak of symptoms was spectacular and occurred literally overnight. The pain in both shoulders and the numbness in both hands was stark. I literally could not sleep at night except on my back – my preference is one side or the other – for days. Problem was that these symptoms were textbook C-5/C-6 (or C6-C7, forget which, all three were affected), so we all concluded we’d rightly identified it, and I was unwilling to let anyone cut on my neck unless/until all other approaches had been exhausted. A good decision on my part, it turned out.

I have bilateral carpal tunnel and ulnar neuropathy. I’m glad yours was operable. I’m told the damage from mine is not. I’ve had it for almost 14 years now. It was a life changer, for sure.

[QUOTE=PalominoMorgan;6890398]
I have similar issue but when I was dx it was called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I had nerve conduction study done. The dr who did my test said that surgery was usually not very successful for TOS. In my case the issue is coming from an issue somewhere in my cervical spine. (That is already a mess so I wasn’t surprised to hear that.)

I was shocked to be dx with TOS bc I had been told 10 years earlier I had carpal tunnel and that was confirmed with conduction studies. I have a connective tissue disorder so my body is always doing wacky things.[/QUOTE]

How did they diagnose you with TOS? I’ve heard that sometimes it doesn’t show up on an EMG. I thought that surgery worked pretty well to resolve this if they can pinpoint where the nerve is getting compressed in your cervical spine. Curious to know more about the testing you had done to lead to dx.

[QUOTE=maunder;7432852]
I have bilateral carpal tunnel and ulnar neuropathy. I’m glad yours was operable. I’m told the damage from mine is not. I’ve had it for almost 14 years now. It was a life changer, for sure.[/QUOTE]

That’s bloody awful maunder. I hope that steroid shots at least help you maintain. I can’t imagine living the rest of my life with the way my hands have been for the last year. Would be a complete life changer for me too.

[QUOTE=Adamantane;7432830]
FWIW, my initial outbreak of symptoms was spectacular and occurred literally overnight. The pain in both shoulders and the numbness in both hands was stark. I literally could not sleep at night except on my back – my preference is one side or the other – for days. Problem was that these symptoms were textbook C-5/C-6 (or C6-C7, forget which, all three were affected), so we all concluded we’d rightly identified it, and I was unwilling to let anyone cut on my neck unless/until all other approaches had been exhausted. A good decision on my part, it turned out.[/QUOTE]

My history is very similar to yours. Ultimately how did they diagnose yours? Was it from the EMG?

[QUOTE=equisusan;7433846]
My history is very similar to yours. Ultimately how did they diagnose yours? Was it from the EMG?[/QUOTE]

Yes. In addition, beforehand, my neurosurgeon did a fairly standard neurological clinical exam, examined what by then was a stale cervical MRI and concluded that it he saw no real basis for concluding my neck was involved.

[QUOTE=equisusan;7433845]
That’s bloody awful maunder. I hope that steroid shots at least help you maintain. I can’t imagine living the rest of my life with the way my hands have been for the last year. Would be a complete life changer for me too.[/QUOTE]

I don’t take steroids for it. Since it was a work comp injury I do see a doctor every thirteen weeks but she’s never prescribed them. I take B12 and have work(and life) restrictions and take Ibuprofen when it gets really bad. It’s a constant pain or numbness somewhere from hands up to shoulder. I’m used to it now. Everything bothers it - holding a book, driving, working, chores, cooking. I just have to do a little and then stop.

If I could give anyone advice it would be that if someone starts feeling a pain or numbness or tingling in arms or hands or elbows - stop what you are doing. Stop. I didn’t. I kept working towards deadlines and needed my job and ruined my arms. And they got rid of me as soon as they could too, once I couldn’t work 45 hours any more.

[QUOTE=maunder;7434191]
I don’t take steroids for it. Since it was a work comp injury I do see a doctor every thirteen weeks but she’s never prescribed them. I take B12 and have work(and life) restrictions and take Ibuprofen when it gets really bad. It’s a constant pain or numbness somewhere from hands up to shoulder. I’m used to it now. Everything bothers it - holding a book, driving, working, chores, cooking. I just have to do a little and then stop.

If I could give anyone advice it would be that if someone starts feeling a pain or numbness or tingling in arms or hands or elbows - stop what you are doing. Stop. I didn’t. I kept working towards deadlines and needed my job and ruined my arms. And they got rid of me as soon as they could too, once I couldn’t work 45 hours any more.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. There is no doubt that nobody protects our own bodies more than we do ourselves. My doctor told me to just stop stop doing everything and have everybody else do things for me that needed my hands so I didn’t have permanent nerve damage. We’ll see after the EMG if she told me that in time.

I was actually wondering whether you could have Cortizone shots for your elbows not take oral prednisone.

I sure do hope yours was caught in time. :yes:

I think Cortizone was discussed years ago and not followed through for some reason. I will have to ask the doctor again during one of our routine visits.

Another thing that happens when the nerves are damaged is that the muscles eventually atrophy. You definitely don’t want that. The hands just release on their own sometimes. Not good in a grocery store. heh heh

[QUOTE=maunder;7434357]
I sure do hope yours was caught in time. :yes:

I think Cortizone was discussed years ago and not followed through for some reason. I will have to ask the doctor again during one of our routine visits.

Another thing that happens when the neruves are damaged is that the muscles eventually atrophy. You definitely don’t want that. The hands just release on their own sometimes. Not good in a grocery store. heh heh[/QUOTE]

Thanks maunder. I hope you find other ways to help yours.