Unlimited access >

Unique situation - how can I get my horse's JC papers?

@Kasey. Depends on the age of the horse
re: tattoo. If young enough, the horse will be microchipped, and we do digital tattooing these days, not physical.

Yes, great input! “Starting January 1, 2020, any Thoroughbred who made a first lifetime start in a recognized pari-mutuel race, that has not been previously tattooed, will need to have the TRPB Digital Tattoo in order to be correctly identified in the paddock and permitted to race.” But to be remembered is that microchips move around under the skin. A receipt date would determine whether the horse belongs in probate as an asset of the deceased.

I think the issue at hand are the papers, not the horse.
As I understand the sale went through prior to the passing of the seller. The owner is hoping to locate the paperwork to be able to register the horse.

I would assume the executor would be able to access those if they are still around and have not been thrown out by now.

1 Like

Yes. In order for the Jockey Club or the track to release the papers a receipt showing date of sale would be necessary. If there is no receipt, ownership of the horse would be in question, would be part of probate, and papers not released until authorized by the estate. Whether the sale was made known to the Jockey Club is anybody’s guess. Most all will hinge on a receipt or how the executor views the circumstances.

Thanks everyone! I did find the executor and reached out. I’ll update if I hear back!

7 Likes

I hope you’re able to get the papers.

1 Like