Unlimited access >

Unlikely trailer injury

I am so sorry to hear this. :frowning:

This is why boots, or wraps, always need to be on when near trailers. It looks like it is healing well so keep doing what youā€™re doing. Be patient - give the wound the time needed to heal.

I ALWAYS use shipping boots ā€“ the basic shaped Dover ones with about 7 straps each. They are contoured, donā€™t budge, have great coverage and the many straps keep everything in place.

I can put all four on in about one minute ā€“ to me, my horseā€™s legs are too valuable not to take that time, so that would be my suggestion for any trailer in the future, regardless of trailer design.

[QUOTE=JSwan;7340254]
Ghazzu - is DermaGel prescription or OTC? I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve seen it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

OTC. Not cheap, but you donā€™t need much. Made in Switzerland, IIRC.

The hollow rubber bumpers like the Sundowner ones allow for the sharp piece to be ā€œbelowā€ the rubber so they only hit the rubber. If you keep the wound bandaged, we use diapers as they donā€™t stick to the wound, and then put a standing bandage and wrap on over that to protect it and keep it in place. Good luck.

OP, please be careful about soliciting advice on how to care for a wound like this after seeing a vet. Just because some long time horse person suggests a treatment it doesnā€™t mean that it will work for your horse. And if you try it, you may end up making the situation worse, even though you meant well. You called a vet for a reason- because they are the experts in cases such as these. It is why they went to school for as long as they did. Your vetā€™s advice should be the one you follow and if you feel that their directives arenā€™t working, get another vet out. But the more and more you listen to what everyone else tells you, the more damage you will cause. Plus you also run the risk of losing your vet too because if you call them out for their expertise and then undermine them by following a non-vetā€™s advice, you pretty much say that they are wasting their time with you and may eventually tell you that they will not service your horse anymore. Iā€™ve seen this scenario happen far too often because people just donā€™t want to listen to their vet because Suzy in the next barn over had a similar problem happen to her horse and she did XYZ and it worked for her so you want to try it. Itā€™s fine to ask about a treatment but to keep soliciting advice after not one but 2 vets told you what to do isnā€™t such a good idea. Iā€™ve worked with several vets who have fired clients for situations like this. One vet I worked for went to the farm for a client who would do just this, have him out, but listened to everyone else. We were called out for an emergency on a wound we thought was minor but turned out to be a few days old, had needed stitches, got severely infected, but because the owner had listened to her friend, whose advice got her horse sicker before, and sprayed blue kote on it, the horse was really bad off, infection down to the bone IIRC. The vet tore into her, and her friend, fired the client on the spot, and left without treating her horse. In the truck after, the vet told me how every time they were called out, the owner wouldnā€™t take their advice but would from every other person in the barn. This hadnā€™t been the first incident that had gone bad but it was the last that the vet was going to go out for. From then on, the vet refused to see that client or her friend. So please, be careful about asking for advice. Similar situations dont always mean similar treatments since every situation is different because each animal is different.
Ok I will get off my soap box now. Carry on :wink:

Guazzu gave good advice. I would wrap that and donā€™t mess with it a ton (donā€™t overstimulate the flesh to form proud flesh). Ask your vet of course, but Iā€™d hate to see you get proud flesh. Been there, done that, have the lasting bump we couldnā€™t get rid of.