Unlimited access >

Needs Front Shoes to Jump

Update: pics in post down below. I’m getting this horse. He’s doing the job I need him to do currently. Which is be a paddock buddy for my current horse and be a solid citizen for basic care / husbandry stuff. Vet is coming Tuesday to do my current horse’s shots / dental and will do a basic exam on new boy and look at the funk new boy has on his hind coronet band.

I’ve been offered a horse that is currently shod up front. Trainer says horse would need to continue to be shod if I was going to jump the horse regularly.

I will not be jumping the horse regularly. It’s doubtful I’d even be riding him regularly lol.

Horse owner is wanting horse to go to a light duty home (ie not a lesson program or a serious show home). I’ve been recommended to the horse owner as someone who’s horses live on easy street.

Horse is a middle aged OTTB gelding with some experience as a show hunter packing a beginner AA.

I will be going to meet the horse this weekend. With the “needs front shoes to jump” disclaimer is there anything particular I should try to capture on camera? I’ll be taking some pictures and video to send to my farrier for review.

What would you think of a horse that “needs front shoes to jump”?

I am only in the market for another horse to keep my current horse company when I move him home.

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question. IF the horse needs shoes to jump and you’re barely riding - let alone jumping - you won’t need to shoe him. I assume it’s the cost of this that’s concerning you? And I would definitely let a trusted farrier and/or vet make the assessment on shoeing needs, not a trainer. I’ve had 2 horses that came to me shod, and when I asked my farrier and vet if they could go barefoot all around, they said yes. Obviously we watched for signs of distress, and neither horse ever looked back. These were horses that were ridden daily on varied terrain. YMMV.

2 Likes

The only question that needs to be asked is - does this horse need shoes to live his life comfortably.

It doesn’t matter if that life is occasionally being ridden and spending most of his time in a pasture, or if he’s jumping twice a week

If this is a horse you will own, as opposed to, say, free lease, then it will be worth a couple xrays of those feet to see what you’re dealing with. As long as they look reasonably healthy, then the horse may, or may not, be able to go barefoot. We can’t see the trim, which is often a big reason horses can’t come (comfortably) out of shoes - the trim needs to be fixed.

Some horses DO need shoes up front to jump soundly once the fences go up, as they don’t have the genetic integrity to handle all that force on landing. But also, there are a lot of trainers who blanketly put shoes on every horse who jumps, or is in work at all, because “that’s how it’s done”.

4 Likes

When you go see the horse you could take some good shots of the feet. Good lateral views and sole shots and discuss with your farrier or farrier you’d be planning to use.

1 Like

Truth be told it’s my farrier lol. He only wants to shoe the most desperate of cases and only after trying a barefoot protocol. I’m all for barefoot horses when appropriate. I’m concerned horse might be comfier in general with front shoes. Then I’d either have to fight with my farrier or find a different one.

I mean ideally I would love to not have to pay for shoes. But this horse already ticks quite a few boxes. No stall vices and sweats normally so if he needs shoes that’s a bill I’m fine with.

Meh, it’s not a particularly concerning phrase overall, especially in this case given you have zero intention of jumping him regularly.

If he checks all the other boxes, take him home.

“Needs” is a word that might need more defining if you did intend to jump. What would be the reason for the “need”? Thin soles that bruise easily? Angles that are NQR that might need some shoeing to help avoid soft tissue strain? Or does the horse just go better when asked for that level of physical effort with something to protect his feet?

I’ve got a gelding that goes much more confidently and freely through his shoulder with front shoes. He’s got 15mm+ of sole and great feet overall, but something about the support a shoe provides makes him feel that much better about really reaching. I’d say if you really want to get the best he has to offer, you “need” front shoes on him, but he’s not lame or unsound by any means without them.

1 Like

Yes horse would be owned by me. I’ve altered my plans so I can go see this horse today. I also suspect a less than ideal trim. I’m familiar with the most commonly used farriers that service the area this horse has been living in and long toes with under run heels is unfortunately quite common. Hence why I use my overly opinionated farrier. He does a great, vet approved, job trimming feet. And shows up on time every 4 weeks.

Pics incoming later today/tonight.

1 Like

Yes! I have a farrier and will relay photos and video to him. I had hoped to have an in person consulting with him but his schedule and my schedule aren’t lining up

Thank you. Horse sounds perfect for what I need, but I do want to be cautious. Though he’s probably coming home with me regardless as the situation is such that horse needs me. His owner is done and out and horse needs a place ASAP

3 Likes

When you transition him to barefoot have a pair of hoof boots ready for his front feet. If you keep him on a pasture and only ride occasionally he will not build up sole for gravel and trails.

3 Likes

Farrier is a dealer for a couple of kinds of boots so that isn’t an issue. Here in FL trails are all sand so no need for gravel tough feet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The horse may need front shoes even when not being jumped/ ridden to be comfortable. As long as you are agreeable to do what is best for him in the long run.

A time without shoes should give you the answer.

1 Like

Went to see the horse. He’s a sweet and mannerly fella.

I’ve seen worse feet, but we’ve got some room for improvement

Any idea when his last trim was? I like that his front feet are nice and big but I’d like him to be a little wider through the outside of the front heels and take some toe off. I also want to know why the front shoes are set back. The flair on the outside of the hinds needs to be taken off too but I also want to know why it’s growing like that. What’s his hind legs look like? Can you talk to the current owner’s farrier?

1 Like

How long since the last trim? It looks like it’s been a while. The front feet are quite long but generally in good shape. Hinds just look like they’re due for a trim

It’s a good thing the shoes appear to have been set back a little - better breakover position. I suspect things were still set towards the end of toes too long

You’ve got good feet to work with.

1 Like

Agreed. They look overgrown and you can see the tendency to get big and flat and pancake-y, but I see nothing that makes me want to run screaming to the hills.

2 Likes

I liked that he has good size feet as well. I have no clue who or when his feet were done. My farrier is due next week so will be get this boy done as well.

Thanks for the encouragement. No idea what kind of shoeing schedule he was on. I stick to a 4 week schedule bar acts of God so I’m thinking we can get him fixed up. My farrier is due next Thursday. I will have his shoes pulled and feet trimmed then. Vet coming Tuesday and will have that mud fever / scratches stuff looked at. He’s got a bit of swelling in his left hind fetlock. Could just be windpuffs or similar but in case it’s infected scratches or whatever I’ll feel better having the doc look him over

1 Like

This old fella probably would faithfully plod after you even if you did run screaming for the hills.

I’m no hoof expert but I had the same reaction of yeah we can work with this.

2 Likes

That one sole pic looks like he’s got some funky frogs too.

I think your farrier will be pleased with him. Plenty of scope for improvement, but nothing scarey.

2 Likes