Unlimited access >

Update - i passed -PPE - would you be concerned about this?

To emphasize the point that navicular films are only one piece of the total picture:

I once advised a client to buy a horse with terrible navicular xrays, and it was a very happy match and the horse stayed sound for years.

The difference was the horse was 12, well conformed, and had a moderate work history. There were absolutely no other red flags, just the awful xrays and a horse with a clean veterinary history and no clinical signs. The horse was also PERFECT for the client and reasonably priced. The seller’s agent and the seller were both lovely about the whole thing - the actually allowed the horse to go on trial with us, and an emiment, well respected vet did the PPE.

The PPE stated that the horse was servicably sound for the purposed intended (lessons, local showing, pleasure riding) with the one reservation being the findings on the xrays.

@luvmydutch,

I know this was disappointing, but I think you did the right thing passing on the horse. The combo of the horse’s age, work history, conformation, other findings on the PPE and seller’s attitude is pretty daunting.

Also, never, ever, ever use the seller’s vet for a PPE. Have your own vet, someone you trust and have a relationship with, do the PPE and be present yourself at the exam. (You can ask questions and get more of the vet’s subjective opinion in person.) If that’s not possible because of geography, then do exactly as you did - get another vet to review the xrays and other findings, still photos and video of the horse, etc.

1 Like

Ugh yes it’s always tough using an unknown vet for a PPE. I will always have my own vet review any xrays for a second opinion. Video clips of the soundness exam as well. On a couple of occasions my vet has found issues on xrays that the sellers provided and either didn’t know about or didn’t disclose.

Also if the seller is upset at you for doing a PPE that is a major red flag.

3 Likes

Yes, TOTALLY different situation the farther over 10 the horse is, who has been doing the intended job (or more) for years with little to no maintenance or soundness issues, vs a 4yo who has clearly been in some moderate work and already has change (whether he was born with them, who knows0.

4 Likes