Unlimited access >

Update post 43: Can NPA be unfixable? Another hoof thread

I keep going back looking at that picture as well. Maybe it’s the angle, but those heels look really uneven to me too ETA: all the heels look uneven so maybe it’s the angle of the pictures. It’s hard to hold and photograph a picture

He was in 2 degree wedges up front, which we pulled. I wasn’t clear with that.

I am definitely farrier shopping - again - and it’s making me crazy. Unfortunately it’s a tough area. I have a whole list of other complaints (mainly about the assistant and the scheduling, but the more I learn from the BO that was holding for me, the more I’m just not happy overall).

Every foot looks uneven in person. The heels on LF in particular

2 Likes

Oh well. Maybe it’s not the angle of the camera then.

Farrier shopping is unpleasant but so is a farrier ruining your horse.

1 Like

I was afraid of that. I was feeling like something was off a while ago - but now I’m sure.

1 Like

It’s a difficult position to be in.

I’m going to chime in here and say what others are… there is bull nosing in all the feet. It also appears one side of the heel is wanting to crush under - appears to be the side opposite your hand.
I feel for you. Big time. Get a farrier who will meet you at the vets, take films before the trim and after. Make sure the farrier understands how to trim going forward. Then get films again in 6 mos. With farrier present.

4 Likes

I figured he had still been in wedges from the previous pictures. He may just need a different kind of set up, you might have to experiment some (and I know it’s not cheap!) to see what makes him happy and allows those heels to come back and stand up. It sounds like he’s still on the rehab path with the suspensory? so that might make it harder to tell if he’s “sounder” right away, but it might give you time to work through whatever body issues are caused by the feet.

My only suggestion for searching for a new hoofcare provider is maybe try the Progressive Hoof Care Practitioners website. I am admittedly jaded when it comes to traditional farriers (yes, even the revered CJFs), though.

3 Likes

I don’t mind leaving a little more foot on and not trimming much when first transitioning to barefoot. But these feet are not at all “fixed”. But perhaps some time barefoot will help with the underrun part of the situation at least.

3 Likes

Eek! Every foot looks different. Definitely a new farrier is needed.

My horse was already barefoot but I decided to change to a trimmer rather than the previous farrier. Her feet weren’t bad but I knew they could be better. I took her BF because she was being such a **tch to shoe. I wanted to try BF rather before investing in tranquilizers to get her shod. The trimmer did her set up trim and damned…poor horse was really sore. Trimmer came by to check her and she was NOT foot sore. She was totally body sore just from the tweeks that were done to hoof balance. I can imagine that your horse would be body sore from ditching the wedges alone especially if it took him back to a negative angle. It took my mare about a week to get over the soreness and nothing like that has happened since (same trimmer).

Good luck with your guy. Those feet do need help…they are far from fixed.

Susan

3 Likes

This may be true, but the horse was sore before. In fact the farrier got out of the truck saying something like “I hear your horse has back issues and is sore - he should just go barefoot”. So, the shoes were pulled because the farrier claims it is his body soreness that is causing the feet issues. Which, yeah it’s all connected, but the horse was sound before his feet got out of whack two years ago.

ETA: just a gripe to get off my chest: the whole time, the assistant was disparaging the use of wedges, talking about pulling shoes, and bad-mouthing horse owners in general. Assistant also was “scratching” my horse on his glutes last appointment - glutes which are very sore - and talking about “aww look at his face! Aww he’s so itchy he loves it!”, as my horse is pain faced and threatening to cow kick her through the wall :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. He’s a good boy though and didn’t.

1 Like

The feet are unbalanced because the farrier is trimming to the current sole, which itself is overgrown and unbalanced. You can see that the sole is wanting to exfoliate itself and hopefully being barefoot will allow the horse to do this for himself.

If you don’t want to look for another farrier and you don’t want to do much with them yourself, make sure that the feet stay fairly damp so that the sole can hopefully come away on it’s own. Whenever you see the sole shedding, try to encourage more of it to shed just by using your hoofpick. It looks like the farrier needs to see chunks of sole missing to be able to visualise where the walls need to be trimmed to.

If you’re not used to dealing with the sole, underneath the current hard sole is a chalky layer and the live sole is underneath that. The live sole is hard and waxy looking. You won’t do any damage if you’re just dealing with chunks trying to come away on their own.

4 Likes

That’s good info, thanks! I’ll start looking for these things!

BO’s personal farrier is okay, and I may have him trim my horse while I look for someone else.

Realistically it’s either the BO’s guy or I haul the 1.5 hours to my old one (a logistical nightmare with my job and the distance but could be done - if I send her these pics she may take pity on me and open a weekend slot for us). Hauling would require a major truck repair and new tires/safety inspection for my trailer, so it’ll take a few weeks to get everything in order.

I may have underestimated the barn’s farrier.

I know this foot isn’t dry (put the hooflex on before thinking), but would y’all say we are going in a better direction? I’m planning to try some boots and pads since he’s been sound in the pasture but walked off a little tender on the gravel after this trim. This trim was mostly rasping, since the farrier said my horse wore his feet down a bit (but he WAS pacing and it’s been dry. He’s chilled out now, and it’s rained again). Opinions?

Left front

Right front

2 Likes

Compared to the barefoot pics from March, definitely better!

2 Likes

Yes, this is a definite improvement!

2 Likes

I agree too, much better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay thanks for the encouragement that at least we are going in a better direction. Two trims in and I’m seeing improvement but I’m also very close to it all and sometimes miss things!

Well I’m using this as a journal I guess so I’m posting another set of pics after a trim. Farrier hoof tested my horse and he didn’t react at all, but we agree that his soles need to build up more. Farrier is very happy with the hinds, and just wants to get after the heels on the fronts, which the wedges did a number on. Horse walked off sound on the gravel after this trim, when he was a bit tender last time. Personally I’m pretty happy with the general shape of his feet, despite the hard ground and 24/7 turnout.
Pics aren’t perfect but I feel like they show some progress.
FWIW, bodyworker says his SI is the worst, though his back is pretty sore too. She will be back for a second time in a couple weeks, so I’m hoping comfy feet will contribute to comfy horse.

Right front

Left front

Right hind

Left hind

6 Likes

SO much better!

1 Like