Update post 252: I did it! 😅 Has anyone done this: DIY glue ons after farrier trims

Gluing a versa-type shoe on over? That’s a very interesting thought. I’d definitely be more comfortable experimenting with acrylic with an indirect glue-on. I do worry somewhat that the tabs of a 3D/Octo will put uncomfortable torque on his hoof wall (which also has old quarter cracks growing out) even with a cast over it.

I will ponder this some!

When my horse suffered an articular wing fracture to his coffin bone, he had to be cast and confined to a stall and 12x24 pen. He wore through the toe of the cast in 3 weeks. I had great success using an easyboot original trail (not the stiff newer version), over his cast. He had to stay in this combination for months.

I appreciate that that is your experience, but my personal mare moved about 20 minutes post glue and twisted her shoe and a client’s horse moved immediately after gluing and twisted it as well. Both of these shoes were being applied by farriers and were saran wrapped before they were glued. :confused:

1 Like

20 minutes later and it still twisted? Oh my. Well, I’m very sorry that was your experience! That is not an issue I or most of the folks I’ve spoken to have experienced when the shoes are properly fitted, even on pretty deviated walls. And 20 minutes later…was the glue set up at all? Even the slowest glues we use on these shoes reach a solid bond at 10 minutes in all but the coldest temps. :confused: even for a direct glue they can put their foot down at the 5-7 minute mark. Full cure takes longer, but the bond should be more than solid enough after 20 minutes to withstand movement.

I’m very sorry that was your experience! I certainly understand the reluctance to try again, given how that was likely an expensive and frustrating error. I hope the tape is a more positive one!

PS I’m inland from you, but in NorCal. If you’re willing to share via PM, and NO worries if not! I’d be curious to hear who applied those for you.

2 Likes

Try riding the field. You get a much better view looking down from horseback.

3 Likes

I’m excited to hear about your adventures in taping on shoes. Please take pictures and share!

2 Likes

So I realize this is slightly off topic, but I’m OP so :woman_shrugging:t3:

I’m still booting, for now. However, in a fact finding mission today I rode one of mine with his Cavallos on all 4, and then with nothing. While he was definitely footy without the boots, my balance in the saddle was DRASTICALLY better. I thought the fitter might have thrown off my balance when fixing the saddle for my horse, but I realized what actually changed was boots on all 4 vs bare or just fronts.

Any brilliant ideas on why this would happen? It was immediate, like 3 seconds away from the mounting block. Perhaps he really is footy enough to change his posture that much (we were on concrete at the mounting block) ((don’t come for me)), which is concerning.

ETA he’s much more comfortable with the boots, it’s me that is off balance apparently

1 Like

Is the saddle fitting a recent thing? Hmm, maybe not… if he’s a new to you horse…

Many years ago, my senior outgrew his dressage saddle. I spent a long time looking for a new one and eventually got one. A week or so later I took my horse to an event, and in the dressage warm up I discovered I couldn’t post the trot without losing my balance. It was very disconcerting.

What happened? I think that was the first ride that I didn’t have any attention on how much better the saddle was, and how my horse was going. I was focused on warming up to ride a test in front of a judge, and my muscle memory took over. Muscle memory that had developed to compensate for the old, no longer balanced sadde (pommel high/cantle low). Muscle memory that pitched me off balance when starting from a balanced point on a horse moving more freely and powerfully than muscle memory expected.

Any similarities?

2 Likes

Will do!

1 Like

Hmmm maybe - saddle is new(ish) to us, fitting was two weeks ago. It went from GREAT fit for me to mehhhhh, and then when I took the boots off it went back to GREAT.

In other news, I’m working with someone to get Scoots fitted for him, just the fronts to give them a try. I’m playing with the idea of doing glue ons for his hinds and boots 24:7 in front (cavallos or scoots), since he’s still overreaching and I don’t think I’ll be able to keep front shoes on him at this point. I’m interested in the tape possibility - even finicky tape is easier than glue!!

1 Like

Was he fitted with boots off? I’m just wondering if his posture changes substantially based on his hoof comfort? Otherwise - weird!

Riding the pasture is a good idea except it’s leased from the neighbors and that is not allowed.

I have new shoes to put together tonight. Already have some navy blue dye, so I think that’s what we’ll go with this time around. I’ll reset the hinds tomorrow and then think about the fronts. They look kind of ridiculous with a light blue Stealth tabs shoe on one side and the black Sticky Fingers on the other.

1 Like

Front boots only! Which is weird, as front boots only is slightly better, but barefoot is the best…

1 Like

I wonder if the Cavallos effect his breakover enough that it’s adjusting his posture/limb motion to accommodate for it? They might be forcing him to make a more up and down stride to accommodate for the boots, even though he’s more comfortable. Or did you notice it when standing still, as well?

3 Likes

Didn’t notice it while standing still!

I rode him last night in just front boots and it was way better as far as balance for me. He still interferes, but the Cavallos ARE bulky, and we are still trying to pull his breakover back on his actual feet. I deem boots necessary though because he’s more comfortable in them and his poor soles are likely paper thin (no Xrays yet, but they are FLAT with 0 concavity and no collateral groove depth near the front/apex of his frogs).

TLDR: he’s getting turned out in 4 cavallos and pads up front, but I’m looking into less bulky options for riding

1 Like

There was a follow up post on the tape, it only lasted a week. He said it could be installation error and might try again but I didn’t see where he had… My thoughts: it could be operator error, but as operators go, he’s far less likely to make an error than, oh, let’s say, most of us!

3 Likes

Hmm, well a week might be OK in certain situations. Like I threw on an emergency shoe last weekend when my mare came in from pasture with one missing right before my lesson. I just ordered a roll of the 2" wide clear tape. Planning to use it more for applying leather pads to the shoes, but I’ll keep some at the barn for emergencies. If I use it that way, I’ll probably keep the foot wrapped in electrical tape as well for an added layer of security.

The shoe I put on last week was a b*%ch to get off. I ended up cutting off parts of the cuff because it wouldn’t peel off whole. The only thing I did differently was put the superglue on the hoof wall and then press the cuff on, vs. putting it on the cuff. Seems like it shouldn’t make a difference, but there you go. It sure seemed like it would have held for a full cycle, and it was on cuffs that were on their second round, so hmm they were also rougher inside. Maybe I’ll try roughing up my new ones before putting them on this morning.

1 Like

I didn’t realize Garrett did a follow up post, thanks for sharing! I’m still going to try it myself but I’ll temper my expectations :rofl:

Yeah it sounds like boots are the lesser of two evils here (if you have to choose between sad feets or struggling w/rider balance in the saddle)!! Since you didn’t notice it standing still, I’d lean towards something about the breakover/interference in the boots causing him to compensate to not hit himself or trip. Will be very curious to hear if Scoots help! Another option to explore are Equine Fusion Jogging Shoes. They have more support than scoots, but more breakover than Cavallos. And IMO they’re more forgiving of sizing and adding pads than scoots.

1 Like

Oh interesting!

Gosh they look just as bulky as the Cavallos (closer to my EasyBoot sneakers), but if they have better breakover I’m not opposed to trying a pair!

Honestly the Easyboot Sneakers are kind of a knock-off of the jogging shoes! A much less good knock-off.

The jogging shoes have a thick rubber sole with a pretty substantial breakover…wedge? I guess? taken out of the toe. They’re not going to be as good as something super form fitting to the foot like a heat-fit Easyboot Glove, but I’ve found horses do well in them. I can’t promise they’ll ride better than the Cavallos, but having handled both in hand and ridden in both, the fusions seem to result in less of an altered gait. But it all really comes down to what works for you–boots are wonderful tools but dang they’re hard sometimes!