Unlimited access >

UPDATE: Post 9: Mosquito Dunks & flies...help me remember

Yes, it should help with those, too–with the caveat that it needs to go where they’re breeding. My biting gnats seem to breed in the leaf litter in the forested areas of the property. That’s just too much ground to cover :eek:

It is winter here at the moment so no flies.

Apparently there never used to be any flies here until cattle was brought down from up north.

As posted above they line up along the fence line to go into the fly traps

I have a fly veil that velcros onto bridles and I ride in a mosquito net to keep them off my face.

You ride in long sleeves to keep them off your arms.

When I moved here the house was full of flies. I used to spray a room and go back 10 minutes later and vacuum.

We put screens in and I do not use sprays. Hubby came in and let a fly in by not turning and scraping his back, then said that will annoy you for 2 hours now won’t it?

So you put it in your horse’s troughs? It is not poisonous?

Nope. Long history of safe use in livestock water. Paper linked above talks about using it as a feed additive for chickens :slight_smile:

Here’s how it works: https://www.epa.gov/mosquitocontrol/bti-mosquito-control

It’s very specific in what it targets. You use it where the things you’re targeting are breeding.

And here’s a little article about specifically using it in horse water buckets and troughs :slight_smile:

https://thehorse.com/122961/mosquito-dunk-danger/

I an so excited.

I LOVE this forum. I seem to learn something daily and that is after being on it for years.

The most exciting thing is that I can get it here. Normally the talk is about something that is not available here.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

I can go and buy it now for the mosquito larvae.

What is also triple exciting is that it is something in my price range!

1 Like

@Simkie How big a sprayer are you putting the dunk in? Quart, gallon?

When I was spraying I used a 3 gallon backpack sprayer, and hit the manure pile and chicken run. I’d go through about half the volume in the backpack. Now I just use the dunks in water sources :slight_smile:

I put half a dunk in a 1.5 gallon sprayer. Started last Thursday. Refilled sprayer this evening to let it sit overnight before spraying today (most of the 1/2 dunk was still in there).

There is a thread about this topic in the technical help section of the forum. If you want your original post to be posted, just notify Moderator 1 that it was flagged. They do not get notifications about the posts that are waiting for their approval to send them thru.

To clarify for me, that by putting it in all water sources it reduces the fly population because it manages to control the population thru their manure?

1 Like

Yup :yes:

When it gets flagged. Click on edit. Copy the post. Go down and post it and then go up and delete the flagged one.

Yes, you can do that now. Before this latest edit the post would just vanish. But I agree, this is a good option now.

Will using mosquito dunks negatively affect fly predators?

Nope!!! Totally different order. They’re Hymenoptera, not Diptera. Parasitic wasps vs flies. They are not affected by bti. Isn’t that cool?

(I use both, too. :D)

5 Likes

Thank you!!

So what will the fly predators eat if there are no flies?

I don’t know. I don’t really care? The goal is no flies. I’m not going to keep a breeding population of flies around to feed the predators. Why would anyone? :confused:

Dunks, fly predators, judicious use of fly spray, fly sheets, traps, etc etc etc are all tools that are generally considered less than 100% effective. The papers linked earlier in this thread regarding the efficacy of bti on flies reflect that. So most people use several strategies with the idea that overlapping coverage = as few flies as possible. If a few predators starve after they’re released, then it’s a job well done.

”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹

”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹

1 Like

I was only asking as I don’t think we have them over here. Yes a bit of empathy for me to another creature that are only in that situation because of you. Hopefully they do eat other things.

1 Like