Unlimited access >

Update second opinion! Endometrial ablation?

Exactly! So why do they always say this?

1 Like

Because many of them don’t own a uterus themselves, and have no idea how inconvenient they can become when they don’t work as they are intended to!

4 Likes

So new dr or second opinion was very good and provided a lot more options and details.

Basically I don’t need to panic and do anything immediately. She’s happy for me to manage on the medication for at least another year if I wanted; although she doesn’t see this as a long term solution.

She offered an iud… this kinda creeps me out and mostly worried about perforation with riding horses for a living and returning to work immediately. She seemed to think no big deal but to me a little freaky!! But it’s minimally invasion and can stay in thru menopause and then technically I should be ok once menopause is over.

Also ablation would be a good outcome as well, but of course I would need to be knocked out and in an outpatient hospital setting etc.

There were other options she offered but the iud although strange may sound like the best choice… anyone have experience with them?

1 Like

Inconvenient is Not half of it…mine has been throwing a fit since November. Last week, it really threw a fit. I finally (I know, I should have called earlier) called and got an appointment with my Obgyn. The receptionist’s comments when I told her the latest most severe bit of the fit: “I won’t yell at you, but next time that happens (extreme bleeding that qualified as a hemorrhage apparently) go to the ER!” I was busy being thankful I work from home and so it wasn’t a ‘problem’. As women we really, really need to speak up more. What is ‘normal’ is not in fact ‘normal’
Now, if only I can remember that!

3 Likes

But I did and my doctor kept telling me - but it is not a problem, right?. So I felt like I was over reacting when I bled more days of the month than I did not.

@Guyot, I am glad you got a second opinion and it sounds like this doctor is helping to figure out all of your options.

1 Like

I would not be apprehensive of a procedure like this. Out patient surgery is likely a well managed option. I had two last year. A Propifol drop and gas maintenance. quick recovery though needed a driver.

Overall the best thing is that you are working with someone who is a good communicator.

2 Likes

I think the problem ( in my case) is that I thought it WAS normal! I think it came on gradually so I didn’t really realize how bad it was getting.

I would favor this option over an IUD or a year longer on meds, personally. Just have it done in the " slower" time of year for you— if that is possible and be done with it?

1 Like

I am still struggling with the ‘it is normal!’ I found myself today, at my doctor’s, saying: well it really isn’t That much of an issue…I’m working from home.’
No. It really is an issue. There was a day I had a towel on my office chair for F—s sake. I’ve rescheduled meetings, other appointments, my entire life… But, I didn’t say that. Because we are trained not to say that.
I’m going to try to push for a once and done solution. I don’t want kids. DH has had a vasectomy. I’m in my 40s. DH is in his 50s. Playing around with hormones is not a solution nor is it going to save any money in the long run. Let’s have done with it. Why am I hostage to my uterus?? At the cost of my job, my social life, and frankly my personal s-- life?

4 Likes

I remember my mom telling me about her issues and once had her entire period in 5 minutes and how awful every month was. After I was born the doctor did a hysterectomy and she was so happy.

I started out normal but in my late 30’s something changed. It really does control you and it shouldn’t.

I hope your doctors do right by you. I am so happy mine just told me that is what I needed. It was.

I have a Mirena IUD. It serves multiple purposes, but it does reduce my murder scene periods to very light. My problem with it is that I still have irregular bleeding off and on in no predictable pattern. Frustrating! My doc suggested ablation by I just want the damn thing out. Besides, I get hormonal migraines every single month and I am sick and tired of them!

Yes! I had one back in 2009, before insurance companies got to be so difficult. I was 42 when I had it done. I was bleeding so heavily I felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily I wasn’t working outside the home at the time because there was no way I would have been able to work two days every month. I went on the pill for several years but just got tired of dealing with it that way (not to mention taking the hormones is a cancer risk.) Honestly after having it done, I really wish I had made the decision sooner. Periods all but went away. No drawbacks for me at all as I never wanted to have kids either. The procedure was fairly easy; had some cramping for a couple of days but I think I had it done Thursday and went back to work on Monday.
My doctor did say that you need to keep up on cancer screenings afterward; bleeding is often a first sign of cancer and with the uterine lining gone, it is harder to detect. Good luck with your decision!