Unlimited access >

US Hunts - all no-kill?

Yes, actually hunting is more like entertainment. But everything can be on it

To me, coyotes are definitely vermin. They kill livestock more often, IMO than foxes, although I am sure some farmers will not agree. The other issue is that coyotes were introduced into non-native areas and have become a nuisance. I would hunt and kill a coyote all day.

2 Likes

I have never heard that coyotes were introduced anywhere, Iā€™m curious, where is that from? Here in Georgia they started coming in from the west thirty years ago, when I started hunting. I thought they just moved in.

As for no kill hunts, I mean, it is Hunting. I read a lot on this forum about hunts never catching their game. That must be a thing.

Itā€™s said, all through the mid-Atlantic, that coyotes were introduced here within the past 15 years or so, to take down the deer population. Itā€™s said, they were introduced via DNR and car insurance companies.

I think that is highly unlikely. :wink:

8 Likes

I know the original post is old, I was shocked when I moved up to MTā€¦ the coyote as Iā€™ve seen in CA are very smallā€¦ I saw a big coyote hanging out in a field and thought it was a dog, it was huge! We definitely have a coyote problem out here. They are pretty mean. I believe thereā€™s one hunt club in Big Sky area. Iā€™d have to ask my SO.

We do have a little red fox in town thatā€™s gotten into a neighbors hen house several times.

My understand, regarding coyotes, is that the are extremely adept at adapting to suburban and even urban environments, and have spread on their own. Thatā€™s certainly the case in Virginia.

From the Virginia DGIF website:

"Where did the coyotes come from?

First and foremost, no matter what you hear, the Department did not stock coyotes in Virginia. It makes for a great rumor, but it is false.

Over the last 40-plus years, I have watched with great interest as coyotes moved from the west into Mississippi, through Alabama and southern Georgia (where I am from), and then north into South Carolina (where I once worked) and North Carolina before finally coming into Virginia. Decades before the southern half of this pincer movement began, coyotes were moving east and south across the Midwest, through the Great Lake states, and into the Northeast. It would not be a stretch at all to say that Virginia and the mid-Atlantic were the last area in the eastern United States to be colonized by coyotes."

2 Likes

This is most likely due to the extinction of wolves in these states. No competition to keep the coyotes out. There is also some speculation that the coyotes in the east are actually coyote-wolf hybrids, but some scientists disagree on that.

1 Like

So is drag hunting.

This is most likely due to the extinction of wolves in these states
Last confirmed wolf sighting in Virginia was in 1897 Coyotes didnā€™t show up in Virginia until the 1950s.

So if it was the absence of wolves that lead to the spread of the coyotes, the coyotes took their own sweet time.

@FitzE,

So is drag hunting.
Iā€™m not sure what you mean here? In drag hunting, hounds are following an artificial scent trail - thereā€™s no actual prey and thereā€™s very, very little risk to any wildlife from a pack of drag hounds.

1 Like

My point is that drag hunting is also considered hunting and nothing is killed so that comment seemed inaccurate and a bit dismissive of what I was trying ask after. Just the term isnā€™t dispositive of the issue, as any bargain hunter can tell you.

1 Like

I meant no offense, my apologies. And Iā€™m still not sure the point youā€™re trying to make, so perhaps my lack of understanding is the issue. Iā€™ll step out of the conversation.

No need to step out. I took no offense, simply commented back to xerox and then explained myself when you asked what I meant. I took no offense to either comment only engaged with both. No harm, no foul.

I thought this was confirmed by DNA analysis? But what I remember is that itā€™s not ā€œin the eastā€ in general - itā€™s just the northeast, which the coyotes reached via Canada, traveling north of the Great Lakes, and interbred with wolves up there. Though there could be further research since I read the above a few years ago.

Well, they did come many hundreds of miles, by foot, without an actual plan to keep them moving in one direction, so that doesnā€™t seem slow at all to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The theory has been proposed by those with more knowledge dealing with ecology than me. There isnā€™t some alarm bell to tell the coyotes to make their way over, so it takes time. When a ecological niche gets emptied, other species will fill the void.
Iā€™m not saying there would be absolutely no coyotes if the wolves were here. Just that there would probably be much less, and they would not have taken on the top predator spot if they were.

From what I have heard, the coy-wolves are supposedly all the way down the eastern seaboard now. I have no idea if they did DNA testing though. I donā€™t think too many people care about what most states deem a pest animal :cool:
Some people really, really debate that itā€™s true at all. Not too long ago I listened to an ecologist denying that it was true, and he believed it was just a convenient way to demonize the coyote species.

1 Like

I do realize this is an old post.

I live in a subdivision with 10-20 acre lots and had 20-30 goats. I would lose one or 2 a year until this year.

Most of my goats kidded in January but I was in the hospital for a week in March-April. When I staggered out to the field I said ā€œWhere are the goats?ā€ About 10 were missing. My husband and I tried to keep them up by the house but that didnā€™t save them. The only way we could keep the remaining 6 safe was in a 10 x 10 foot pen. Thatā€™s no way to keep them. I gave them away.

Over the space of a month the coyotes killed close to 2 dozen goats, including 2 100+ lbs bucks.

2 Likes

Coyotes are a problem in many areas. They will kill pets as well. Years ago my brotherā€™s little dog was killed on their property, in daylight, by a coyote.:frowning:

Back when I lived in NE Ohio, (very wooded, nature sanctuary type village) we had lots of coyotes. And lots of deer. The coyotes did go after pets now and then, there was more than one story about small dog on a leash being attacked. They would come up to my neighbors sliding doorsā€¦Every night when taking my dogs out you could hear them calling and sightings were frequent. The Chagrin Valley Hunt was housed nearby, though their fixtures were widely spread. Not sure if they ever killed, or just ran foxes to ground. I knew a bunch of members and honestly to do not remember any discussions on kills, so Iā€™m betting they did not.

Hundreds of farmers in my area have submitted thousands of dead cattle sheep and goats of every age and size every year for actual necropsy and the ignorance and denial is just incredible. Seriously, so many of them refuse to believe that their animals are actually dying from disease, parasites, and starvation even in the face of repeated laboratory and diagnostic evidence to they contrary. Even many those who do the ā€œresponsible thingā€ like drag their dead things to the diagnostic labā€“over and over and over-- also refuse take any kind of health or management recommendations or make any kind of change at all EVER. Itā€™s always the time story ā€“ the seller scammed them or the neighbor poisoned or somebody shot them or those crazy coyotes (or wolves or foxes) ate all of them. Even when there is never a single scratch or at most a scavanger bird got on the carcasses because they only visit their animals once a month and it has been dead for days or weeks or they just totally rotted away before submissionā€¦

4 Likes