Unlimited access >

USA reining champs.

A poster PM me some interesting questions and I think that she is not the only one with those questions.
You know who you are.
I could not respond, your inbox is full, need to do some stall cleaning in there!

Anyway, my not very good response I will post here, so she and any others that may be thinking the same will have more to think and discuss:

—"To answer that is as hard as when my western riding friends ask what is wrong with those dressage horses, why do they always seem to stiff and upright and scared, why do they move so funny, why are they never let go and really relax while doing what they do and such questions.

There are reasons to much reining horses do, that is a stylized way to show a horse doing what you may do while working cattle.
Yes, it is odd if you don’t know what is scored, some of it like the head down fad is one more way to show the judges your horse is really submissive, but doesn’t get you any more points than one that rides upright.

At the top shows, horses and riders are going for broke, asking the utmost, so there is more pressure than any other time.
Still, none of those horses were cranky, they were straining and trying their best, concentrating and working their hearts out.

In reining, when you have a horse that has a cranky look to it, they wash out early, because judges just won’t know it is the horse, they assume he is not happy and so won’t place that horse.
When you see a horse really not wanting to work, you don’t just think so, the horse is telling everyone without question and their pinched nose, hooded eyes and really pinned back ears and humped look makes it plenty obvious something is wrong.

In case you don’t know, there is also working cowhorse is similar to three day eventing, where you do “dry work”, that is a reining pattern, “cow work”, that is cutting and “fence work”, to control a cow on the fence and all three scores are combined.
The reining and cutting in working cowhorse is not scored quite like the real thing and not as competitive, just as the dressage scored on three day event won’t be at the level of a dressage class.

Some horses that like their job around cattle don’t like reining and there I have seen horses being shown that were unhappy during reining, some were washout reiners, but the riders took those bad scores in stride because they knew their horses would shine in the other two phases.
Not so in reining, a cranky horse just won’t be winning consistently to get to that level as those there are.

The blue eyed bald faced horse is from lines known to be partially to completely deaf.
Deaf horses some times don’t use their ears quite like other horses, but that one seems to.

There is plenty I don’t like about reining, just as I don’t about dressage, but in general, most people are trying hard with and for their horses in what they are doing in both.
Both at the top are exaggerations of what we can do with horses and that demands long, exacting training and much effort and at times, horses do reflect that and get sour about it.
I didn’t see that there."—

It’s not a QH thing, it’s a thinking thing. I ride reiners, and my horse is happy, well-adjusted, and loves his job. And alomst every photo I have of us showing he has his ears back because he’s paying attention for the next cue.

That said, there’s a difference between ears back and ears pinned. And most reiners ears are back, not pinned. See the Google Image search for my “proof” of that statement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=weg+2014+dressage&client=firefox-a&hs=Po6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1BD9U9-ANsPOiwLb74DQCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1108&bih=643#q=weg+reining+2014&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

And the same search for Dressage (since it was brought up as a comparison).
https://www.google.com/search?q=weg+2014+dressage&client=firefox-a&hs=Po6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1BD9U9-ANsPOiwLb74DQCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1108&bih=643#q=weg+dressage+2014&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

[QUOTE=UrbanHennery;7732768]
It’s not a QH thing, it’s a thinking thing. I ride reiners, and my horse is happy, well-adjusted, and loves his job. And alomst every photo I have of us showing he has his ears back because he’s paying attention for the next cue.

That said, there’s a difference between ears back and ears pinned. And most reiners ears are back, not pinned. See the Google Image search for my “proof” of that statement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=weg+2014+dressage&client=firefox-a&hs=Po6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1BD9U9-ANsPOiwLb74DQCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1108&bih=643#q=weg+reining+2014&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

And the same search for Dressage (since it was brought up as a comparison).
https://www.google.com/search?q=weg+2014+dressage&client=firefox-a&hs=Po6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1BD9U9-ANsPOiwLb74DQCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1108&bih=643#q=weg+dressage+2014&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&imgdii=_[/QUOTE]

I will agree that most of the horses in that link above have their ears back and not pinned. In fact some of them even have their ears forward. I understand the difference. :lol: What I am saying is that more than a few of the top WEG videos TO ME show horses with their ears pinned flat against their heads the entire ride. Not just back and listening to their riders. And since they’re winning, it’s obviously not being punished very much by the judges.

[QUOTE=NCRider;7732796]
I will agree that most of the horses in that link above have their ears back and not pinned. In fact some of them even have their ears forward. I understand the difference. :lol: What I am saying is that more than a few of the top WEG videos TO ME show horses with their ears pinned flat against their heads the entire ride. Not just back and listening to their riders. And since they’re winning, it’s obviously not being punished very much by the judges.[/QUOTE]

I thought we were talking about the winning horses here, not “the rest of the horses”?

Only those few videos to only one run by them were linked to.

Hmmmm. I have just one suggestion for those of you who think these reiners suck so badly – git on up there and show us all how it is done!

[QUOTE=mjhco;7732875]
Hmmmm. I have just one suggestion for those of you who think these reiners suck so badly – git on up there and show us all how it is done![/QUOTE]

Did anybody watch the eveners ride the reining horses at Rolex KY? :slight_smile:

And just cuz its cute:
Jersey are you excited to be in the WEG??
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=569846529786990

[QUOTE=mjhco;7732875]
Hmmmm. I have just one suggestion for those of you who think these reiners suck so badly – git on up there and show us all how it is done![/QUOTE]

Who said that?

[QUOTE=NCRider;7732796]
I will agree that most of the horses in that link above have their ears back and not pinned. In fact some of them even have their ears forward. I understand the difference. :lol: What I am saying is that more than a few of the top WEG videos TO ME show horses with their ears pinned flat against their heads the entire ride. Not just back and listening to their riders. And since they’re winning, it’s obviously not being punished very much by the judges.[/QUOTE]

Right, but if you’re talking about the videos of the winning US team rides, none of those horses spent their runs with their ears pinned. They had their ears BACK and their game faces on. That’s my point.

Yellow Jersey is the exception, but he put them forward at each transition and I read his expression as game face not pissed. Plus, that’s just how he runs, every time I’ve seen him.

Bluey is right - the pissy, cranky, mad ones flunk out of the BNT barns and end up with non-pros like me or finding a new career. My horse is a perfect example of that. He’s something like a 3/4 brother to Spooks Gotta Whiz (same sire but JD’s dam, Blonde at the Bar, is SGW’s grand dam on the bottom) but didn’t cut it as a futurity horse. Now he’s loving life as a non-pro horse and we’re taking our time to get him all the way there for the show pen. He’s five this year and he MIGHT be ready for a derby or two next year before he ages out.

Yellow Jersey almost always has his ears to the side or partially back unless he’s looking at something, that’s just his way.