Unlimited access >

Used Saddle Market?

I prefer older Stubbens. Do you have a wide one?? Sorry OP!

Some years ago a lady here needed some quick money, they were moving away and I took her saddle and a handful of old tack she gave me for helping her.
The saddle was an older Crosby made in England, as per the buttons, but don’t know how old.
It seems to be a medium wide, wondering how to sell it today and what for, not being hardly any English riders around here.
I asked a while back a consignment shop in the East I have used before and bought from and they said that older model was not what they were selling at that time.
Thinking about asking again, if most saddles are moving, maybe that one could find a good home, not keep sitting here.
Seems to be in very good shape, fits me very well, the few horses I tried on also, but can’t say how it would feel WB type horses of today.
I am not familiar with Crosby saddles, we mostly had german ones.
Stubben and Passier were some of the better ones half a century ago.

Don’t want to give any other details or show pictures as I am not advertising it for sale.
I was again thinking about that saddle just sitting in the tack room, as other posters here seem to be doing also.

Nope, Virginia. Maybe it’s happening everywhere

What’s the seat size?
I’m surprised no one has bought it. High quality saddle and to me a narrow is a very desirable size.
Both of the tack stores near me that do saddle consignment would let you ship it to them. Maybe it’s time to send it off to someone who can sell it?
Another good person to contact is high line tack, they do a lot of saddle sales

It’s kind of a self-perpetuating cycle. I used to buy saddles on eBay feeling assured that I could resell them for about the same amount if they didn’t work out. Now I know it will be a PITA to resell, so I’m much pickier about what I will buy. When I bought a saddle a few months ago, I needed something very specific, and ended up shelling out over $3K for a used saddle from a fitter who could check my tracings and offered a trial. It just isn’t worth the risk any more for me to spend say $1,500 on something that might fit that I will be stuck trying to sell for six months, and potentially losing a chunk of money in the process.

On the up side, I just nabbed a barely used, $250 Schleese girth for $100. Now to find a cob double bridle. Have noticed that high end used bits are holding their value.

1 Like

I highly recommend them, very nice to work with!

3 Likes

What’s the seat size?
I’m surprised no one has bought it. High quality saddle and to me a narrow is a very desirable size.

It’s a 17.5", so not an unusual size and yeah, I thought I’d get a fast bite and be able to move on. I do have one person possibly interested in the narrow tree who’s agreed to pay upfront and shipping both ways if it doesn’t work, so maybe I’ll get rid of it by next week. I also found a tack store that will supposedly buy this brand, rather than requiring consignment (so it is arguably popular!). I’ve got a message out to them. If everything falls through, consignment it is.

2 Likes

Agree. I sold two saddles through Highline/Fineline tack recently. It’s the same people, but they have two different sites for some reason. I think a Prestige would actually be through their Fineline Tack page. I have never sold a saddle through Pelham Saddlery, but I have trialed and bought saddles from them and they are also very nice to work with.

1 Like

It’s a 30cm Stubben Siegfried Extra - I don’t know if you consider that wide, although according to Stubben it is.

That is close to what I had. I sure regret selling it. Don’t know what width mine was but it fit a wide variety of the horses I rode up until my current mare , who takes a 38cm in the Duett I bought off Ebay .

I have a young QH who isn’t near that wide.

You were fortunate to have someone give it to you!

Would you like it? I need it gone - if you pay shipping and trust me, I’d be happy to give it to you.

2 Likes

@beowulf I sent you a PM.

1 Like

The two different sites is for the brand of saddles/price range, one site being the lower priced saddles and the other the higher end saddles.