Unlimited access >

Using an exercise sheet

ohh… hmm… in that case, I’m glad I didn’t buy a second one - I didn’t realize the Newmarket “Competition” sheet wasn’t wool anymore.

Yeah. 100% polyester. But it’s thicker than most quarter sheets and some people report that it generates less static for some reason.

It still generates a decent amount of static. But I’ve heard that some of the nylon ones are even worse.

Most of the wool sheets I’ve seen lately have been a lot thinner than back in the day. Including full coolers. At least the Rambo is pretty substantial. Probably why it doesn’t blow around a lot.

Yes they are to keep the back muscles and also internal organs from getting chilled, especially on a horse that is clipped. Spraying some static guard or hair conditioning spray (healthy horse, show sheen what ever) should help cut down on the static…as well as being more slow and “folding” the sheet on and off rather than pulling it quickly. One of my horses loves to wear it…the other HATES (as in fully vertical bucks) it. My suggestion is to try lunging with it properly secured before riding…many people put in on for warm up, take it off for “WORK” and toss it back on for cooling down. When it is appropriate depends on the horse.

I had a horse who HATED the polar fleece quarter sheets… but i somehow managed to find one that has a cotton lining an then a nylon top, from Libertyville Saddle Shop (sadly they went of business) He loved that one. And my current OTTB loves it as well. They do come in handy when they are body clipped and you live in the frozen Midwest.

https://www.theequinewarehouse.ie/newmarket-exercise-sheet.ir

Shires makes traditional newmarket wool quarter sheets. They are the ones without the keyhole for your saddle, so you have to go old school and tuck them up under the flaps. I love mine and can’t stand the keyhole ones!

https://www.fridayfox.co.uk/ has the original Newmarket blankets, but I haven’t bought anything from them.

1 Like

I have the newer Newmarket quarter blanket too. It doesn’t flap around because the material is a bit thicker. I have less static problems with it too, but I also spray some coat moisturizer on before I ride. I ride full rides, with jumps with no problems.

I bought a quarter sheet from Schneider’s in the U.S awhile back when I was there. I think it is 80ish percent wool, but I quite like it. The weight is substantial so it doesn’t move/blow around. It also produces no static. For the price, I think it’s great. I use it instead of my Rambo Newmarket one. I may hunt down a wool newmarket one at some point, but I am quite satisfied with this one. I typically remove it after warming up, but do often hack out with it on.

I bought a wool exercise sheet from them years ago and I cannot recommend it highly enough! No static, nice and thick, and really well cut. I use it under the saddle, then half pad and saddle. Leaves me a bit cold but absolutely no flapping or distractions of any kind.
If anyone is considering buying from them my only suggestion would be to contact them about the sizing, I ended up with one that was much too small the first time (though they were amazing about exchanging it and everything).

i have a cotton one from centaur that i got on tack of the day a few years ago. It is perfect for chilly rides. i generally walk my horse to the indoor with it on, warm up in it and by the time we are really working I take it off. No static and just enough warm to keep the big muscles limber. It fits nicely over my mare’s hind end to not flap at all. Highly recommended

https://www.centaurhorsecare.com/horse-clothing/centaur-turbo-dry-exercise-sheet-470656