Unlimited access >

Uterine biopsy results are in - all is not well

Good afternoon all, back here as you have all been so wonderful on this path, which may now have abruptly ended. I just need to put it all out there somewhere.

You may recall my mare was not getting in foal - the stallion terms made it worthwhile trying again for the season but after our three fails including one near miss and at the end of the season, we went ahead with the biopsy (as advised here and by my vet, so was not a surprise to me - thanks to all the knowledgeable folk here) to see what was going on rather than plan straight away for next season.

All is very much not well. I haven’t received the report as yet, I am due to get it, but I tried to understand what was being said over the phone - hopefully this makes sense. There’s pervasive infection, that could theoretically be stripped with aggressive treatment (I immediately thought of the Kerosene used on the mare in the link a kind person on here shared). But there’s something else, something not right with the lining I think, which is of greater concern. They put her chances of conceiving at 10-50%.

I would like to share some more detail on the report if and when I get it, which will obviously be clearer, if anyone would be interested to see it and possibly willing to share some thoughts. You’re all so experienced I bet many of you have seen this before.

The vet is planning to send her information and the report to a repro expert to see if it would be worth attempting treatment and whether we can do anything or if this is it. He didn’t sound hopeful though.

I feel completely… bewildered. Like my whole life’s plan - since I’ve owned her - has been derailed. I’ve had a good few drinks and a few cries. I’m not maternal, it’s always been about my animals for me, and by no means saying this is the same but I suppose I can almost relate to how a woman who always planned a family feels if she’s told she won’t be able to get pregnant. I always wanted to do this, I always thought someday it would happen. I’m now trying to get my head around a life plan in place for the past decade that is not happening anymore. It’s tough and I’m not much good for anything right now - sat at work staring through the screen and not focusing.

Thanks for reading this. As ever, it means a lot to have this place to talk to.


I’m sorry to hear you’ve had the bad news. I would try and wait and see what the repro vet says before you get too discouraged. Something that may seem like a big deal to a vet that doesn’t see stuff like that often may be less alarming and more routine to someone who specializes in the area and sees and treats lots of mares.

An additional cost, of course, but there are also options like ICSI, which is useful for mares that struggle to get in foal or carry themselves (as well as stallions with poor fertility).


Years ago (as in 30 years ago) my late DVM husband did a wash w gentamicin for a mare who couldn’t get in foal. I don’t think I ever knew why, but I remember he did it several times. The repro vet didn’t think it would help, but it did. She had a lovely foal. Hope this is helpful somehow. Best of luck to you.


I am really, really sorry. :cold_sweat:

I feel your pain, probably not quite as heart-wrenching, but if it makes you feel any better, I’ve been in similar situations twice already. My first mare (my first horse, period) was the most amazing little mare - could jump the moon, would go through fire if i asked her to, a saint for children to ride, perfect ground manners, sweet as can be… i got her as a green 4 yr old and trained her to jump myself, we qualified for regionals at the 3’ - 3’3" level, and then my plan was to have her make beautiful babies after… she had one, but getting another out of her was exceedingly difficult, took a number of seasons and many cycles, finally after putting her on Regumate and Immunall she gave me a fabulous colt, but her exogenous progesterone levels were next to 0. Vet said she would need Regumate to Day 120 every single time, and her uterine biopsy score was borderline not great (she was only 11!). So i gave up on the idea of breeding her.

I started over with another young mare, got her trained, put a short show record on her, then bred her at 4. Textbook perfect breeding, took on the 1st try, birthed a big healthy filly. Put her back into work for a couple of years, then tried to breed her again. And again… And again… And again. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at her. Nothing. Vets had no clue why she wasn’t conceiving, everything looked fine, biopsy score was good, thyroid levels ok, we managed to clear fluid, no detectable problems… I finally threw in the towel after 3 years. I was heartbroken.

Both of those mares are very, very much loved in their new homes. They were just not meant to be broodmares - that’s the way i’ve chosen to see it.

I never thought i could love another mare the way i loved mare n.2 - she was a heart horse for me. I desperately wanted more foals out of her, but it was just not in the cards…

I started over again… from scratch… and mare n.3 is absolutely wonderful in every way, a little black unicorn that I am so, so grateful to have found. She has produced 2 gorgeous fillies for me so far.

I know everything seems bleak right now, but maybe this is happening for a reason. Some people really believe Nature knows best… Love your mare for who and what she is, but if you really want to breed, maybe find a relative of hers if you can?

hugs I feel you, i really do. It sucks… but it happens. I was really hoping for a different outcome for you. :broken_heart:


So sorry! Maybe talk to your vet about embryo transfer. These days it’s pretty routine.

There was a COTH blog whose vet used kerosene… sounds gnarly but there you go. Might be worth contacting her to get your vet to talk to her vet.

I’m sorry to hear this. However, people sometimes sell pregnant mares. I remember one guy who bred all his mares and was selling them because pregnant mares sell better… The benefits in buying a pregnant mare is you aren’t so terribly attached if something does go wrong. If something goes wrong and you lose your heart horse, it’s heartbreaking.

Of course it isn’t the dream you were dreaming of. You could do a custom foal option… Or lease a broodmare. Or buy a mare that you really like and breed her instead.

Depending on your finances, you can try veterinary treatment. I have also heard of kerosene being used, but I’m not sure I would be brave enough to try that with my horse. I would probably haul to a university and see what their vets have to say if you haven’t done so already.

1 Like