Unlimited access >

Utterly frustrated with neighbor's horse at large

If she hadn’t already burned her bridges, then I would be volunteering myself to fix her fences if she purchased the supplies. Sounds like she has a basic fence, but needs a kick-a** charger that will probably cost her a $100+.

But, since it sounds like you have had numerous discussions with her, and she has not exactly been gracious to you when you did help her out, I would be calling Animal Control, also. I might also call the police and inform them that her horse has walked down the road numerous times. Even if it isn’t a busy road… Busy or not, a horse in the road is a disaster waiting to happen.

And I would start keeping a log every time the horse shows up. Write it on a calendar, snap a few photos with your phone, etc. Something to show the “officials” if there was ever a need.

[QUOTE=Marla 100;7410087]
Is she a single Mom with possibly no one to help repair the fences and maybe no money to do so?

Maybe you or your husband could stop by and offer to help her shore up her fences. Many people have horses without the means to properly take care of them. Also sounds like her horse needs a buddy to keep her company since horses are herd animals and many hate to be alone.[/QUOTE]

This is a very helpful idea.
ETA, now that I see you prevously boarded the horse, and the person owes you money, and if you actually wish you had the horse, next time it appears, keep the critter and start (whatever the process is in your State) to take the ‘stablemans’ lien’ action to take possession of the horse.

[QUOTE=sdlbredfan;7410422]
This is a very helpful idea.
ETA, now that I see you prevously boarded the horse, and the person owes you money, and if you actually wish you had the horse, next time it appears, keep the critter and start (whatever the process is in your State) to take the ‘stablemans’ lien’ action to take possession of the horse.[/QUOTE]

THIS^! Which would probably be the highest possible outcome for the horse!

Op - sounds like the horse has the good sense to want to live someplace else! does the mare have another companion/ maybe she needs a goat or a donkey. you are caught in a difficult situation - one that you don’t want to take it out on the animal because of the owner’s sheer stupidity and lack of concern.

Horse knows where it wants to live. Go to her door with a dollar bill and a bill of sale for her to sign…and enjoy your new horse.
:smiley:

only thing that got results for me with a$$ neighbor and his dog chasing my horses was when I explained to him that my horses were insured for x$s and if his dog caused them injury then insurance company would come after him as the responsible party

same thing applies to your neighbor with inadequate fencing - if vehicle hits the loose horse then insurance co. will be on her like white on rice

calls to AC and/or police will help with establishing a pattern of behavior

perhaps a letter explaining subrogation to her would help

Google “humane laws” + your state to check your humane laws. (I would print out a copy to hand the nice officer or ACO; they may not be familiar with large animal statutes.

In Illinois, it is a felony (after the second instance) to “… abandon any animal where it may become a public charge or may suffer injury, hunger or exposure.” Sounds like what you’ve got going on here, especially given that this is the 4th time it’s happened.

(510 ILCS 70/3.01) (from Ch. 8, par. 703.01)
Sec. 3.01. Cruel treatment. No person or owner may beat, cruelly treat, torment, starve, overwork or otherwise abuse any animal.
No owner may abandon any animal where it may become a public charge or may suffer injury, hunger or exposure.
A person convicted of violating this Section is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. A second or subsequent conviction for a violation of this Section is a Class 4 felony. In addition to any other penalty provided by law, upon conviction for violating this Section, the court may order the convicted person to undergo a psychological or psychiatric evaluation and to undergo any treatment at the convicted person’s expense that the court determines to be appropriate after due consideration of the evidence. If the convicted person is a juvenile or a companion animal hoarder, the court must order the convicted person to undergo a psychological or psychiatric evaluation and to undergo treatment that the court determines to be appropriate after due consideration of the evaluation.
(Source: P.A. 92-650, eff. 7-11-02.)

Please provide your state of residence. As others have commented, there may be laws that protect you.

The animals at large laws in my state are no where near those of Illinois, Ive checked. Local SPCA said they have no jurisdiction other than to go to her house, inspect that the horse is well cared for and make suggestions on improving the fencing. It would also help if the ACO would call me back. It’s been 2 days. Horse owner doesn’t owe me money, just always seemed to have money troubles, was often very late with payment and didn’t hold up her end of our rough board (aka she worked off board) agreement. Maybe I’ll tell her next time this happens she can have her horse back after she mucks all my stalls!

Sounds like a plan OP. Do it this time though- not next time!

Sorry - just checked back in. Any updates?