Unlimited access >

Vent About Cat Food Nutrition Non-Info

Basically, they’re a dietary supplement that limits how much of the phosphorus in a cat’s diet is absorbed. Epakitin and Phos-bind are popular ones (and should be at Chewy). Epakitin is chitosan-based. I’m not sure what Phos-bind relies on (lots of things can bind phosphorus — even the calcium carbonate in Tums!)

This site goes over them in detail.

Like I’ve said, the only phosphorus binder I saw at Chewy was a reptile supplement. Nothing at all for cats.

Chewy needs to tweak their search function!

Here they are:

Epakitin

Chewy doesn’t seem to have the feline Phos-Bind right now, but Vet Rx Direct does.

I also found this article, which lists even more binder options.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I looked at those charts on the website linked, and then went back and looked at my kitty’s numbers for her last two blood draws. She’s well within the “OK” range, in fact, this December’s number was better than last year’s. Whew, what a relief!
I want to try to get together with my friend who’s researching homemade cat food, see what we can learn.

Any updates about wet food for cats? Need some suggestions!

Our cats like the most Royal Canin and Hill’s Science Diet. Both considered to be very good quality food. In this article you ca find few more good suggestions https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-wet-cat-food/. I guess the only way to find the best food for your cat is just trying.

1 Like

What do you need to know?
Tanya’s list is helpful, did you look at it?

I feed Friskies, Pate only (no gravy)

1 Like

Oh, I missed it. Now I see. Thanks a lot!