Unlimited access >

Very nice horse barns

me went wrong somewhere bigtime

[QUOTE=cgn38;8515397]
me went wrong somewhere bigtime[/QUOTE]
LOL :lol:

I want to know about the mucking system the barn said it had? It said it used a small trap door and a vacuum? If prices really are that reasonable for boarding (was that in USD or Euros?) then I will be packing and moving shortly! :smiley:

My gosh those are some gorgeous facilities! That Coastal Oregon Ranch looks amazing. I was able to add some pins to my ‘gorgeous dream barns’ board on Pinterest.

https://www.pinterest.com/shmuella/barns/

I also spent some time looking around for Coastal Ranches in the PNW, so it was a super productive morning at work. Thanks COTH!

I got a “European stalls on sale” email from a company (Saratoga? Centaur? can’t remember) the other day and I’ve got the bug to remodel the old Morton barn my place came with. DH doesn’t like them because he says horses will bully each other as they walk by, and he reminds me that I hang halters and blankets on stall door and with open front stalls, the horses would reach out and grab them and throw them on the floor (or worse, drag them into the stall). Does anyone have the European style stalls and if so, what are the pros and what are the cons?

I did at the last barn I boarded. It’s really nice and airy. If your aisles are wide enough, the horses can’t reach you when you walk by them.

I didn’t have a problem with horses grabbing halters.

I boarded at a place with them (euro-style fronts) and I would not recommend them. Here’s why:
-they are loud-metal on metal closure is very loud. Basically you swing the door shut and the pin spring loads into the metal post. It’s jarring and I hated it. A few also failed and they had to use a chain to lock the door shut.
-horses will fiddle with the front-not all, but some will. There is a place to hang halters that they can’t reach, though
-doors swing, don’t slide. Not a problem in a wide aisle way, though

• and this is the real deal for me, they were dusty! Now the Barn staff could have been way more on it dusting them, but it just looked bad. Fancy stall fronts with dust all over? For a private place, like my own farm, I’m always trying to streamline and increase efficiency. To purposefully add on another task because it looks fancy (dusting fancy stall fronts)??? No thanks!
    All that said, if I was at a place that managed them well with a large staff? I’m all for it!lol!

I find as I get older, I am more interested in beautifully simple places that are efficiently laid out. As long as it is easy to work in, well ventilated, has hot water and lots of storage space (one of my favorite barns has these big beautiful closets that hide wheel barrows, forks, etc), I can do without chandiliers and brass everything.

i do dig European stall fronts. I hate horsey jails.