Unlimited access >

Very young horse Crossfiring

My sense would be that gait errors in transitions are about balance in transitions, which is separate from balance at the actual gait.

2 Likes

This is such good advice! So many horses have odd little quirks that ultimately don’t prevent them from having long wonderful careers. This horse in question is so young-just let him be right now, teach him good manners, make sure he has lots of turn out and revisit this in a year or so, as long as he appears sound at the trot.

As an aside, my dear friend had a wonderful horse that she raised from birth. He absolutely could not canter until he was 3.5/4 years old. just was a total mess about it, legs all crossed up, breaking to trot etc etc. She is a very reasonable person and took a breath and let him even out a bit in his growth and…he went on to be state and zone champ in the hunters for years and years, 3ft and 3’6". They were champions so often that it began to get ridiculous! Moral of the story is-sometimes you just have to let them be and develop at their own rate!

4 Likes

Keep in mind a lot (at least in the US) of yearling Western horses are prepped in the round pen or on the lunge line for yearling Lunge Line classes. Is that a thing there? Also, in your area, the “western horses” may be from lines who grow well and balanced.

Is your horse butt-high?

Are you really seeing cross-firing, which is one lead in front and the other lead in back, or is it just that he’s falling into the trot from the canter?

Any chance you can get a video, even by putting him back in the round pen and asking for this transition?

I defenetly should make a vidéo. Today i lunged him just to sée with my trainer and it s strange but hé does not do it on thé lunge Line, only in thé round Pen when free. I Hope hé will not do it when ridden. I will let him grow and sée if hé gets better