Unlimited access >

Vets say nothing is wrong but there is? (Long)

[QUOTE=fourmares;7386537]
Give him bute for a few days and see if the symptoms stop. If the vet won’t give you bute you can get asprin boluses for cattle.[/QUOTE]

Agree. You know your horse better than anyone. I can tell when my heart horses are NQR just by the expression on their faces.

Try 3-4 days of bute (or up the previcoxx) and see if it goes away. If it does, it’s pain related. I would then have a vet out to flex/jog/block and see if you can isolate WHERE the problem is. My guess is that cold/lack of movement is making the arthritis aggravate him more than typical, but perhaps you can do something to make him more comfortable if you can pinpoint the problem.

This works really well ~ will last for a few days and then re-do for optimum support .

[QUOTE=Spot;7391306]
I have never thought of packing with styrofoam and vet wrap. It seems so smart and simple![/QUOTE]

Not sure if this will help, but its inexpensive and worth a try if its possibly just an old age stiffness. My older mare did wonderfully on GrandHA. It was a night and day difference for her. I saw results within a week, and continued to see results after reducing her to the 100mg dose instead of whatever they consider to be a full dose at the moment (was 200mg at one point, 300mg at another). A months worth is like $40.

NOT a good idea to give bute with previcox. Stop one, give a washout period then start the other if you want to change.

If you feel he is actually in pain, you need to decide where it is. Is it leg pain? Systemic?

Both would require very different treatments.

Hopefully it will warm up a little soon and he can get back to his regular routine :slight_smile: