Unlimited access >

Vintage Breyer circa 1961

Breyer does flocked manes and tails and not just molded?

I’ve mentioned this here before, but our neighbor gave us the barn he built for his daughter when she moved out. When she moved back into town years later, I gave her daughter the barn her grandfather built plus all of my Breyer collection. It was really cool to be able to do that.

Now, I only have a ‘sad’ collection - Ruffian (this century release), Barbaro, and Teddy. I have never opened those boxes.

3 Likes

There were a very, very few flocked Breyers with hair manes and tails.

However, typically if you see a hair mane and tail, and definitely one with non-factory paint, it’s a custom, where an artist took the original Breyer, removed the plastic mane and tail, and gave it a hair mane and tail (possbily with other modifications as well). The appaloosa upthread is an example of a custom.

In the last 25 years or so, there are also artist editions cast in resin that are scaled similar to Breyer but not produced by them. The resin are often finer detail than can be done in injection molded plastic.

1 Like

@poltroon Resins: aka I can’t believe I just spent that much on a plastic horse :rofl: My latest acquisition is a portrait model I had commissioned of my current horse. :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

13 Likes

I was sitting here thinking “I recognize that breyer…”

It’s the same one I got custom painted for my late horse :rofl:

1 Like

the girl that made that likeness of Socrates also had a booth at Breyerfest during the show at Kentucky Horse Park.

She is local to us and had seen Socrates at a fun show before he went to Nationals as a three year old. He had attracted her attention being a local to her horse after he won the Sport Horse in Hand World Championship as a two year old

(two years later Socrates’ half brother (Fig) won the same championship as a weanling, both were in a division that had about forty head each)… must add not to out done, Lexi won the Mares division last year missing reserve world championship by 1/10th of point

1 Like

That’s beautiful

I will have to get pics of mine sometime. I still have a few from when I was kid as well as some I’ve picked up because they so closely resembled my horses at the time. My most cherished one is the “paint your own” that my husband did of my special Appaloosa.