Volunteers - how to attract them?

We all love it, it’s a great day out, and there’s always loads of happy volunteers.

In contrast, I’ve volunteered a few international sporting events and you don’t get treated half as well. I remember spending a full day of online training (including terrorist and bomb identification, inclusivity and gender recognition, and environmental awareness) and then going along to pick up my uniform (with a few hundred others) to be told that LARGE was a size 16 (12 in the US) and they didn’t cater for anyone bigger - I managed to sneak back after everyone had taken theirs and swap my 16 for a men’s LARGE so I didn’t look like some bizarre bursting sausage. Then they treated us like slaves for 5 full days, anyone who wasn’t in the clique was doing absolute rubbish jobs, and wondered why most didn’t sign up next year when “we don’t have enough uniforms this year, bring your own, and we’ve cut down on paid staff to save money”. Yeah, nah.

5 Likes

I have to plug Otter Creek in Wisconsin as being a great place to volunteer. Brandi (the coordinator) has accommodated my requests for half days multiple times, they provide a good lunch, requests for the bathroom are answered very quickly, and the officials are always very helpful. They have lots of repeat volunteers and even in bad weather, everyone always seems like they had a good time.

Part of it might also be an understanding between the organizers and volunteers that OC is an oasis in a desert, so to speak. It’s the closest venue to the Twin Cities metro area (3.6 million people) and if it folds, the next closest places are a 5-6 hour drive each way. If we want any chance of keeping the sport going here, OC is a must-have. We’ve lost Trott Brook, Reobke’s Run, and Steepleview because of a lack of support from the top, so we know how vulnerable and precious these venues are.

7 Likes

Here’s an innovative way to incentivize volunteering for those who can’t make it on the weekend of an event (coughcoughcough pros/BNRs) - offer free XC schooling in exchange for two hours’ of work, e.g. course maintenance, painting jumps, etc.

(This is in Australia, fwiw.)

6 Likes

there is a blurb from Jennie Brannigan on EN this morning. She is at Rebecca Farms, and riding, but she also did some volunteering. Maybe she read the article, and it looks good for such a high profile person to be volunteering at a big event.

13 Likes

Both Jennie and her groom volunteered this past weekend. As did Kaylawna Smith I believe.

9 Likes

I was lucky to run into Jennie in KY this year and get to speak with her, she was fun and lovely and I’m not at all surprised that she’s volunteering. Good for her. I know most BNRs probably do a TON for the sport behind the scenes, but it is nice to see her and others sharing that even though volunteering might not be their cup of tea (she referenced her squirrel brain lol), they still understand the importance of giving back.

8 Likes

I live in a remote area that has 2 competitions in the area - next closest is 3 1/2 hrs away. We are a 100% volunteer based show management team.
There are lots of opportunities to volunteer as a competitor at the competition that you’re competing at and not interfere with your ride times, schooling, preparing - and it’s fun to be a part of the host competition team!

• on the day before the comp, help set up the court
  • on the last day of the comp (or end of dressage day), help tear down the court
  • offer to bring the snacks and beverages for one day for the volunteers
  • offer to bring the lunch for one day for the volunteers
  • arriving the day before? Plan your arrival time, unpack, school - and volunteer to pick up the show official(s) at the airport and take them to their hotel if the airport is close by
  • done early? offer to return to the show after dropping off your horse and drive the show officials to the airport if it is on your way home
  • done early? offer to return to the show after dropping off your horse and scribe, score, jump crew Sunday afternoon
  • done early on any competition day? offer to run tests or results to the show office
  • any day - just poke your head into the show office and ask if there’s something that needs to be done - sometimes its as simple as running the snacks and beverages out to the working volunteers that the show manager has in their hands, or giving a ring steward a restroom break, or picking up tests or running ribbons out to the awards - and having someone else run that one errand, is a simple helpful gift of time.
6 Likes

I used to volunteer a few times a year. Ive done jump judging, scribing, jump crew, ring set up and tear down, painting jumps, decorating, and ran xc warm up a few times.

It is a long day and I think my worst experience is with running xc warmup. A lot of thank yous from people but also a lot of people who aren’t happy when someone with 3 rides in the division has to squeeze in front of them. That or if there is a hold or we are running behind, then tension can come out in negative ways.

I learned so much from watching show jumping rounds and talking with the course designer. I love to scribe especially if the judge gives little notes and commentary after and before the round. Very insightful.

I’ve had a few negative experiences with lunch and bathroom breaks. Also some snarky comments from the organizers about not being able to make weekends or asking about half days before. I’ve also had great experiences with organizers who are just happy to have me a few hours to set up a dressage ring or jump crew.

I dont volunteer anymore as I was on nights for a long time and worked weekends. Now I’m in Europe and I just mainly go to watch at the state stud when they put on events.

I think the main thing is offering half days and making sure that volunteers are appreciated. Some events do this really well. They give swag, good lunches and perks, make sure that people get breaks when needed, and are very pleasant to work with. I’ve read some horror stories on this thread and don’t blame people for not going out again. I would be in the same boat.

6 Likes

To play devil’s advocate:
1-I have helped set up the dressage arena, which happened I think the Wed before (maybe it was the day before the big 3 day happened?!) I did it because Bogie asked and I had talked to her before about how my weekends are busy but I can help during the week. Where do I go to offer? (reference below).

2-Good thought, though that’s usually either done before I finish cross country or completed some time after I get home. This may depend on your area/what you are doing. I sometimes take my horse home and come back for the ribbon (if I am getting one) or I take my horse home as soon as I get the ribbon. I think it is unfair to her to keep her to long, especially in hot weather and I show alone so I am never waiting for anyone else to finish.

3-Good thought…where do I offer to do this? (see reference below)

4-See #3 and see reference below

5-good thought, but I trailer in so not for me -others can chime in on this.

6-Good thought, though I would think this would be planned already (hope it would be before show day!) and in my area, almost all are not coming off an airplane but drove themselves.

7/8-Good thought, but someone is already doing this by the time I am done…the same person that ran my own test up…unless you are saying that person may want to finish their volunteering early? Also, even at one venue about 15 min from my house, I am not sure I am done, have horse home, trailer put away, etc and back before end of show.

9-(This is the reference)…ha ha ha…I think one show has a PO Box as show office and the other address, there have never been anyone there when I stopped by to ask question. And this would be midday/early afternoon.

Area 2 asked for feedback…what they can do better. I told them I think volunteering is cliquish and unless you are in the “in crowd”, you cannot do anything to volunteer other than cross country jump judge or warm/ring steward.

They have my email address, let’s see if they care at all. They may just put all that on the venues. That’s fine, I will just continue to not volunteer.

When you talked to a person at a few venues in the northern part of Area 2, you could volunteer for a 1/2 day. Now that it is all on that website, they are all set up for a full day, at least at last check. Questions had previously just resulted in getting redirected to the website.

It doesn’t take much to deter me from doing something like asking and asking and asking to assist. I don’t know these people, have some social anxiety, so I get the brush off once and I am inclined to walk away. So, I don’t volunteer. Now at the one venue close to my house, had the new coordinator done something like send a mass email to the current volunteers with some intel and some, “hey, if you have done 1/2 day in the past, here’s what we can do for you”. That would have helped. But no one did that and no one introduced themselves as the new coordinator so I have no idea who that is. I have no idea how many people they lost. I know I am not the only one that saw only full day volunteering options on the website and basically just went “whelp, guess I’m not volunteering anymore”.

I just went to the website (eventvolunteering.com…yes, it took me this long to remember what it was called) and scrolled to the close venue…there is an option to help on some weekday prep days but only one volunteer needed? and “all day” is the only option? Weird . These are for just general prep. There is course decoration from 9am to 3pm, some other general full days of prep. All the prep options are for the day time, not ideal for working people. I understand those that are running the show may want their evenings available but there has to be some give if you want to attract volunteers and attract more people to Eventing in general. Most of the volunteer jobs on the day off are full day as well. There is “general help AM and PM” but that’s the closest to a half day (if you don’t count dressage that’s 730am to 230pm - which is all day for dressage.

EDIT: looked at another venue and “packet stuffing” is an option…again, all day…does that mean all day all day or they are doing it all day and I just need to tell them when I am available? Because I work on Mondays…so…you know…have to schedule around earning a living. These are some of the things that make it difficult to just go and volunteer. There is an option for up to 4 volunteers so maybe there is an option there? No idea and by the time I get around to finding contact info and asking for clarification, it will likely be to late.

I can only suggest you work directly with the specific event manager either by calling on the phone or email. You may be re-directed to the volunteer coordinator that is specific to the event you’re inquiring about.

3 Likes

I put an offer out on our eventing FB group to shadow at 3 HT recently - 2 shadow scribing opportunities, and one to shadow/help with dressage steward/whipping-in duties. I did have takers for both scribing spots! :partying_face:

First HT - I know the person who came to shadow (she also rides with my coach). We arrived at the venue, and introduced her to the owner who was organizing clipboards. Owner says “oh good! Our other scribe needs to leave at lunch - would you be able to sit with our judge and scribe for real for the afternoon?” This is an FEI judge.

Cue :scream: deer frozen in headlights look from the shadow

We decided I would move over to the FEI judge after lunch (I have scribed for him several times), and she would stay with the original judge we sat with all morning, as she was used to that judge’s cadence. It actually worked out really well - she had a chance to listen and watch without scribing at first, then try her hand at scribing tests alongside me (I printed out tests on coloured paper so they wouldn’t get mixed in with mine), and then she got to scribe for real for a couple lower-level divisions!

I followed a similar approach with the second shadow (this was actually with the same FEI judge as above :grin:). I’ve realized that allowing the shadow to just watch and listen first is very helpful - it gives them a chance to get used to how that judge works, plus also allows them to see in real time how the comments given relate to what they just saw happen. I print about half the number of practice tests as riders in the division.

On a sad note, one of my local venues (less than 10 minutes from me), who has had me as show secretary for the past 4 years, hosted their last event last weekend as the owner is retiring. :sob: That will be 3 shows off the calendar next year, unless another venue picks them up. We lost another long-time venue last year (and that property sold so won’t be used for events any more). I don’t think our Ontario eventers know how close we are to losing the sport entirely. Our current venue owners are getting closer to retirement, properties are WAY too expensive for younger owners to purchase and develop now, plus I don’t know if the desire is there.

16 Likes

yeah, I tried scribing once, and it was a disaster. That is SUCH a good idea to have a shadow scribe so they could get a feel for it. I would love to do it, but I clearly wasn’t able to keep up with a judge. Then they had to scramble to find a replacement .

1 Like

When I volunteered at the Carolina Horse park-we had Bobby Costello jump judge and also taxi people in the golf cart.

3 Likes

I am so sad I came to eventing later in my riding life in Ontario. So many venues are long gone and to loose this last one was a huge gut punch for me. I cried.

3 Likes

Different sport, but I had the same experience trying to volunteer to take pulses & respiration at an endurance ride. I have a very difficult time hearing through a stethoscope, even on my own horses where I know just where to position it. I had to ask to be replaced because I knew I was not hearing heartbeats correctly and didn’t want to mess anyone up.

I do love vet scribing at an endurance ride though- that I can do!

2 Likes

I think one of the benefits of shadowing is that you also learn what you don’t want to do (or aren’t suited for).

I think it might also help people remain interested in volunteering but trying a different job - if they’re just assigned to one and they end up hating it, or not keeping up, or having to be replaced, they probably won’t want to come back, especially if they don’t know what other jobs there are that might be more suitable.

4 Likes

well, I was already confirmed at jump judging, and kept on with it. But I would love to scribe, but for one thing, that was probably 10 years ago, and on top of other things, my handwriting has gotten janky. so that is one that will be out for me. I am just not in with those who organise, and I have to actually find them to volunteer. No humans reach out.