Volunteers - how to attract them?

LOL! That is great.

When they complained about anything, I always told my kids, “if you aren’t part of the solution, you are part of the problem.” Think on that one for a minute. For all the whiners, go look in the mirror.

I am not anti-technology, but I keep thinking that we have a hard time keeping everyone in a working radio for a whole day, I can not imagine depending on technology for all those other things.

8 Likes

tech will move at its own pace. I am old enough to remember a HUMAN doing all the scheduling. Ride times, stabling, everything. There were no computers.

2 Likes

OK I stand corrected! Good to know! That is a shame that it did not produce more available scribes for shows. So maybe the barrier to having available scribes is not that people feel that it is a task that they cannot master. And being able to score is just the ability to use a ten key which is not that hard either. I don’t know the answer to getting more participation because scribing is a really good learning tool if you actively show. And every judge I have scribed for has been a positive, encouraging source of knowledge.

I have never used the electronic scribing and I don’t know if it is feasible/ cost effective for smaller schooling shows. I just wonder if it is easier or faster than writing in comments. It would be if you could copy/paste “circle not round”," needs more bend", “needs more impulsion” and all the comments that you get at the lower levels. But then again it would require some training to familiarize oneself with the software. I think in the long run it might make it easier for people to scribe that don’t have the ability to write fast or legibly. But you still have to be able to keep up with the test and be able to type quickly. But with smart phones these days the younger contingent are pretty good with technology and fast typing. And it would make scoring redundant, thus eliminating the need for scorers. And having printed copies of the test would make it faster to get scores and tests back to the riders.

I have been a scorer and the issues with that job are the facility (hard to believe but I remember not having a place to plug in adding machines and having to use small hand held machines that ran off batteries and were hard to get to function if you were used to a regular ten key). I think those issues are probably in the past but a stressor of that job is getting a whole bunch of tests at one time and the riders standing over you wondering if their test was ready yet. However, I do like idea of this job becoming replaced by electronic scribing. That cuts out having to find persons familiar with running an adding machine, even though it is not a highly specialized skill.

As far as motivating persons to scribe - I don’t know. Most of the regular scribes back in the day were not persons that were actively showing so showing perks were not a motivator nor were high point qualifications. Maybe people thought it was a skill they could not master? Maybe electronic scribing reduces that fear or maybe the technology frightens off the old folks. It isn’t a job that requires you to interact with rude persons in my experience so that is not the reason.

Right there with you on this one. I’m pro-tech in general, but some events still don’t even have things like cell service… or electricity for that matter. :rofl:

Although it might be a business opportunity for a tech-savvy entrepreneur to come up with a one stop shop service to provide and run all things tech for an event. Then again, how much can organizers afford to pay for such a service? I guess if it drastically reduces manpower it may be worth it…

4 Likes

The dressage schooling shows near me use a program called Equestrian Hub and use Ipads for the scribes so they are typing in scores and comments and there are no paper test sheets. You check on your phone for your score, placing, and comments.

It cuts several people out of the equation because the program automatically scores and places riders.

5 Likes

clubs in my province do a volunteer deposit that you send in with your membership (either etransfer or cheque) that you get back if you do a set number of volunteer hours. I did a lot more than the required hours at first, but it got pretty old fast, and to be honest if I was to go back to eventing I would just pay the volunteer fee and not do the work. My hubby struggles in the heat and isn’t good with strange people so I won’t ask him to work at a show, so I did my volunteer hours as course maintenance but to be honest I didn’t feel appreciated for doing it and it now costs me more in gas to go do it than the fee. The club talks a good line about supporting grass roots but continually adds rules that make it more difficult/expensive to compete or school on the course - they discourage the DIY ammy on a budget from competing but they sure as hell want the DIY hands on adult to do volunteer labour.
I think volunteers need to feel appreciated, respected for their skills and want to support a group that supports them and welcomes them - address those facts and you’ll have volunteers, a t shirt or a cheap bag lunch ain’t cutting it.

3 Likes

In my day as an XC coordinator I personally drove the cart around and spoke with every fence judge. I found out who needed what considerations. Example if they wanted to be coupled to work together, how far they had to drive, what animal care they had to arrange for a day away etc. If someone had to plan and coordinate a full day trip then by god you’d better best not put them in a 1/2 day slot. If someone was proactive and alert then they moved up the food chain asap. Since I did the fence assignments I would move them around for new views and experiences from yr to yr. If they had family - kids coming with them I would put them at a fence where the kids could see more action and where the kids had some freedom to move around vs sit still all day. One yr it was Grandma and a new born baby while Mom got back in the saddle and I put her in the deep shade with a picnic table and she set up her portable playard. The family was all smiles. And as I drove around with the golf cart I would pick up the kids and take them to see the rest of the course and more action and the big picture, all the different jobs, of the event that day. One TD got a real hoot out of the gaggle of kids on my cart.

I would fence sit any fence while the JJ used my cart to make a potty run.

I had one nice older couple I put in the shade at an easy fence my first yr coordinating … come to find out they had fence judged at Rolex for 30+ yrs, the OLympics and the WC. No one ever helped/shared information. I took knowledge seriously esp the hold fence assignments. I prepared a document that explained the idea/process to put into every packet. I drove to each hold fence at radio call and we walked thru the process.

I knew the volunteers and knew who needed a personal phone call to be signed up. The portal serves it’s purpose but it’s cold.

I invited JJ’s back to storage at the end of day to have refreshments ( :wink:) and help reorganize the storeroom. It also served to hold them a period so if there was any rider inquiry the TD could access the jj before they left.

I would tell anyone with a golfcart assignment that they needed TO HELP. Our XC course is a distance from stabling. I would pick people up when I was ‘running.’ I had competitor’s families thank me and tell me that they’d be back. JJ’s needed help with carrying their chairs.etc back to parking. I’d find walkers out lost on course and cart them.

Then for 2 yrs in a row I wasn’t allowed a golf cart. They got stingy. I couldn’t do the job to my expectations. I have bad swollen legs and feet, 3 foot surgeries. I can’t manage the day walking or standing.

I’m in my 70’s and I’d be there all day the day before prepping - drive home late, sleep and up at 4:30 a.m to drive an hr back - for 2 days running xc. So 6 trips back and forth and ALL day 3 days.

I quietly backed out and no one’s ever called. I’ve chaired dressage, done XC and dressage warm-ups, scribed, bit check, SJ and dressage gates, scored, start box, jj’d a bunch esp other HTs. And I’ve done 10 yrs of CDs.

23 Likes

You were a saint! How incredibly generous and kind and considerate of you to do all of these things – I am gobsmacked that you weren’t appreciated more, and I’m very sorry on your behalf!

Every horse trial needs more people like you, and it appears that they are dying breed.

This is really depressing to hear.

9 Likes

I would have volunteered anytime asked if I was treated like your volunteers.

You are a treasure that should have been given whatever needed to be successful.

8 Likes

I did get recognized, volunteer of the year award for state association and Area VIII one year.

What I had to really realize was that when trying to help mentor other people into job positions what the drawback was that they all had their own ideas. Some of them I had to let them wing it and walk myself away.

Oh I was down in KY and my daughter always gets asked by the show secretary ‘is your mom here?’ One yr it was SJ that was running waaaay behind and out of order. They needed an unknown face who could stand up to the local trainers who were warming several at a time and trying to butt them all in together, I got that under controI - I had no clue who they all were.

I forgot 2. I was the course decorator for 10 yrs and I helped flag when needed. I was so familiar with the courses and the volunteers that it was expedient for me to do the fence assignments and that turned into an issue for some people.

7 Likes

This sounds very similar to my experiences at Loch Moy. Carolyn (the owner) personally comes around and checks on everyone, gets to know her volunteers, has a board with all their pictures in the office, provides refreshments/lunch all day and then at the end of the day is always a pizza part with adult beverages for those who want to imbibe. The personal touch really does make all the difference in the world!

13 Likes

Have a photo page on your event/association webpage and have someone take candids of the volunteers in action.

Before the volunteer portal the chairs used to send thank you messages more personally. Sent out to each email vs a paragraph on a FB website that some may never see.

The new world has lost touch.

5 Likes

This does exist for 5k races. You just rent everything you need for that race. But the no electricity is a real issue, and pretty common!

1 Like

Almost didn’t respond because I’m late to the party but the thread should stay above the fold.

Here’s one of the quotes in the articles that struck me - "you have some of these people that are riding eight, nine, 10, 11 horses over the weekend. They’re not going to find time for volunteering with that many horses that they’re riding.”

I stopped volunteering at events a few years ago after one too many riders told me that they didn’t have time to volunteer because they were competing. It’s even more egregious for the pros. So I stopped finding time for volunteering at events too, because I have a horse to ride too, and a business to run too, and dogs and gardens to work, and I’m not competing anymore. Every competition was a full day commitment - 8 hours of work and at least 3 of commuting. That’s a lot to ask when those competing aren’t willing to do it.

Not nice, ok, but I’m sure I’m not the only one.

13 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re responding to the quote from the article or your own experience, but that line was talking about people not being able to volunteer the same weekend they’re competing which is legitimately difficult, especially if you have multiple horses. Most of the amateurs I know volunteer on days we’re not competing, but I’m in an area where we have something going on pretty much every weekend. In an area with fewer events to choose from even one-horse amateurs are going to be double-booked a lot. People on this thread have made some good suggestions for what events could do to make it easier for riders to do both, which would definitely help in less-dense areas.

I do know a few riders who definitely could find a day to volunteer here or there but never seem to, which does annoy me but since I can’t control those people I choose to keep volunteering myself and showing my appreciation for the people who volunteer when I’m riding. A volunteer-based system is never going to be 100% equal for all involved. Some people will always be willing or able to contribute more than others, and if those people dial back their involvement to try to make things “fair” the whole system falls apart.

This is an interesting angle to the discussion since as someone that’s not actively competing it really doesn’t matter whether your reasons for not volunteering are good ones - you have no obligation to give back to the sport, so it’s really up to us to find ways to keep you involved. This is a population of people that would be really valuable to source from, since they don’t have to choose between volunteering or competing and you could theoretically tap into the community closer to the event grounds to prevent any issues with travel time, but they also aren’t going to be swayed by things like schooling passes or tying volunteer hours to awards or anything like that.

In my experience outside of eventing, the most reliable volunteers are intrinsically motivated and get enough satisfaction out of the work that they’re willing to overlook the challenges of whatever they’re doing (and things like whether or not the system is fair, whether they’re getting back enough, etc). I think eventing is at a disadvantage here because for most of us, no matter how well-meaning, it’s inherently transactional - we volunteer to support the sport because we love it but also because we participate in it or did previously. The sport doesn’t have a strong argument to make that volunteers are “making a difference” or “making the world a better place,” which is a strong motivator for other causes. Giving up your free time to help other people compete in an luxury sport just doesn’t really tug on the heartstrings. I’m not really sure how we work around that, but if we don’t have enough riders willing to pitch in to keep things running we’re going to need to figure something else out.

8 Likes

I think Loch Moy has gotten well deserved praise here for how they treat volunteers. But for those thinking of volunteering in Area 2, I also wanted to give a shout out to Morven Horse Trials. They don’t provide quite as much swag (no t-shirts) as Loch Moy, but do provide a schooling pass. Their volunteer coordinator is very organized, and does a great job making sure everyone knows what they are doing and is comfortable with their jobs. And they come around and check on you multiple times during the day. I’m always happy to jump judge there.

Also shout out to Seneca Pony Club for the best volunteer lunch I’ve had recently. We got a salad(!) along with the normal sandwich/chips when I recently jump judged there.

13 Likes

Not around me it’s not. I don’t think USEA has any numbers on who its volunteers are but collecting that data would be a good place to start. It’d be easy enough to add a few demographics questions to the volunteer portal on sign-up. Then USEA could help each area and event customize their plans based on their population of volunteers instead of trying to make blanket policies across a pretty diverse range of areas.

Forgive me, I haven’t searched the rule book.

Do the rules outline the volunteer requirements/technology requirements?

In addition to the timing pads as a piece of technology to reduce volunteer needs, what about chase vehicles and/or chase drones?

I think the technology may be there to use drones for following horse & maybe have the stream feed to a location with 2-3 volunteers watching the stream & calculating faults that way? (But starting with chase vehicles would be the first step before moving to drones - Schooling shows in florida are using chase vehicles, but only for schooling, not for recognized, I think)

I also think along the lines of the timing pads, you could automate the start as well as the finish.

But if USEA/USEF requires volunteers at each fence, then how to we get USEA/USEF to move into a mindset to use the new technologies?