Unlimited access >

Want to know how much truck you need for towing? I made a handy calculator

[QUOTE=DHCarrotfeeder;8870260]
This is a nice calculator, easy to use.

Unfortunately, there are other considerations than GCWR such as axle load. I’m not suggesting it’s wrong, but for more than a 2 horse bumper pull trailer I think this calculation could be very misleading.[/QUOTE]

This is great advice, I’ll update it to support that information. Was there any particular configuration that concerned you the most?

That is awesome! Thank you!

[QUOTE=TackHunter;8870319]
This is great advice, I’ll update it to support that information. Was there any particular configuration that concerned you the most?[/QUOTE]

Longer trailers that result in higher pin/tongue weights. This can result in overloading the rear axle. To calculate it correctly you’ll need to have an estimate of weight distribution of both the truck and trailer.

Just started truck shopping. Holy cow there is a lot to consider!

[QUOTE=Come Shine;8870526]
Just started truck shopping. Holy cow there is a lot to consider![/QUOTE]

right? It took me a while to realize that “tow capacity” was relatively meaningless if you don’t consider payload and combination weight.

I have a 1500 Silverado built for towing. I have used every calculation that I can find for towing and they all say that it is enough truck for a 2 horse gooseneck with wiggle room. I am sure that a bigger truck would do better, but they are also more money. However it does depend in the truck and we made sure we had the 1500 built for towing including the engine and transmission coolers, ect.