Unlimited access >

Washing machine

I’ve been under the hoods of a big fat LG and a Speed Queen. The Speed Queen’s drum has far stronger springs attached to a far stronger support system. On the SQ I replaced a belt and while I was there anyway, swapped out the drain pump — in all, $35 for the parts and about 90 minutes of my time. The SQ had seen heavy use for many years, stood unused for at least five years and then was put back into heavy service. Beyond the busted belt, that machine’s mechanics looked absolutely fine. The springs showed no signs of rust and the electrical components were in great shape. The parts I needed to replace were easy to acquire and the task required no special tools. A reasonably confident person, guided by a YouTube video, can make SQ repairs. They’re designed with commercial/heavy use in mind. If you’re a commercial laundry owner, you want a machine that’s easy for you or a tech to work on.

I love my LG for my own laundry and maximum two saddle pads placed in a big mesh bag. Horse blankets are heavy. Horse blankets loaded with water and set to spin is a recipe for busting your drum springs and breaking a belt. Don’t ask a residential machine to do a commercial-type job.

2 Likes

I bought a Speed Queen a few months ago from a small local dealer. He told me he sells them to horse farms but warns that the machines will not be covered under warranty if you disclose that damage was done by horse blankets. He said that the most common damage caused by horse blankets is the hooks on the belly bands getting caught and causing parts to strip or tear. He said that it would be best to wash horse blankets in a giant garment bag to keep the hooks out of the way. Because I only have three horses, I decided to just wash them by hand.

2 Likes