Ways to tell if a foal will be grey?

Our new Indorado x Indoctro coming yearling was born almost black and started turning grey at a few months. Her sire is a grey and her dam is a dark bay. You could not tell she would turn grey until she was a few months and right now she is black with some white hairs.

We have some photos of her on our site and you can see a video of her with her mom when she was a few months old at:
www.primaequestrian.com/young_prospects_2007_Coryphee.php

She is our first grey :slight_smile:

I know, reviving an old post, but I was wondering if anyone has had a Chestnut foal with pinkish/salmon coloured skin when born turn grey? My baby has a grey sire (who has sired non-grey foals) and a grey dam (no other progeny).

He doesn’t show any signs of greying at 7 months, and seems to be going flaxen.

IME you usually see a bit of gray at least around the eyes by then.

What color were the dam’s parents?

A picture of the new foal, dried off and in natural light, will help. While I’ve never seen a pink-skinned chestnut foal go gray, I can’t say it’s never happened. The bigger factor would be something like his legs when born - were they very pale, or were they already a good solid “red”? If the latter, gray is much more likely.

Grays may not show their gray until the first Spring shed. That’s not very common, but it can happen.

1 Like

Not gray :slight_smile:

JB, I really hope not, I mean, I love him regardless, but that big white blaze would get lost in the white if he went like his mum.

Funny thing is, with two grey parents, I had pretty much accepted he would be grey. Seeing how red he is now, I was hoping he would stay red!

His legs are so pale, like a normal/non-gray foal, I would just keel over if he grayed out. And, his body color has, for lack of a better description, a sort of translucent quality. If he were turning gray, his legs would be chestnut, not fawn/pale/tan/nearly white, like an adult, and his body color would be much more saturated, since the first thing gray does, while they are still in the womb, is start to darken everything.

Here’s a very young chestnut foal, turning gray, for you to compare to
http://colorgenetics.info/sites/default/files/admin/Create%20Image/paste_1370366529.png

My question is bay or grey?

I see goggles. I say grey.

The pictures are kind of hard to see well, but between what does look like the start of goggles, and that left hock looking pretty dark, I too think gray.

Reviving this thread for expert advice…

Dam: bay. (Dam’s sire-- grey born chestnut. Dam’s dam–bay)
Sire: heterozygous grey. (Sire’s sire–grey, birth color unknown. Sire’s dam–chestnut.)

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“152”,“width”:“245”,“data-attachmentid”:10203536}[/ATTACH]

MORE baby pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/8iwE93n

Is this a red baby? Is this a grey baby? Also, are there any leg markings? The hooves are pale…

And honestly, mare, I told you I wanted a BAY FILLY. You only got it half right… :slight_smile: (I kid, I kid. She’s lovely, regardless of color. I am thrilled.)

baby2.jpg

The attached pic sure looks like a regular chestnut. The pale feet and lack of any dark on the knees and hocks point also to chestnut. The link only shows a shedding eye (and only that picture), and I don’t see white hairs there. So chestnut, staying chestnut.

1 Like

Thanks! (I think I bungled the link, computers are hard.)

I’d only ever heard to look around the eyes for white hairs on eyelids/around eyes, the light feet/legs thing is not something I’m familiar with. She was kind of annoyingly pinkish (skin around eyes/lips) when she was just born, but that’s turned to proper dark skin now and looks way better. So chestnut it is. I’ll get the papers filled out and sent on their way, then.

All details which say not gray. Gray chestnuts are born with black/dark skin. Non-gray, pink. Graying foals are born their adult shade/saturation, so all those pale foal legs would be dark like their adult color - body-colored for chestnuts (more or less), black for bays, etc.

Prima - she is beee-you-tiful!!! Congratulations on having such a pretty grey filly! :slight_smile: :yes:

The last group is
Black colt - black dam, chestnut sire
Black filly - dark bay dam, chestnut sire (didn’t think it would happen but it did) :smiley:
Dark Bay colt - black dam, dark bay sire

Call it Blackie and it will end up white.

Absolutely guaranteed :wink:

Look for grey hair at the top of the tail. It often shows up as stripes. Also many future grey horses turn under their hind legs first. I have a lovely grey mare that was born chestnut and was rose grey by age three. Her one offspring was born dark chestnut/almost black and he turned grey as well. They are hard to keep clean in the Georgia red clay, but grey horses are sure pretty under saddle!

I have a 8 month colt out of a grey mare (born palomino) and from a bay stallion (Royal T). I am still wondering if he will turn grey because I found few white hairs in his winter coat. He has some white hairs in his rosette in the middle of his neck ans few ones on his back…

As a newborn, his legs were pale and his coat a real red bay. His legs turned black around 4 months.

You can see a picture on him here: http://www.royalsenna.nstemp.com/images/monaco_28_aot.jpg

Anyone knows what kind of color I will get ?

I tried the shaving thing and it was still bay…